Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panning in Ballarat or south of Ballarat.

+2
FoolsGold
StLeon
6 posters

Go down

Panning in Ballarat or south of Ballarat. Empty Panning in Ballarat or south of Ballarat.

Post  StLeon Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post to the forum. Have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now and watching videos on You Tube about prospecting. Its something that I have wanted to do for a long time and have finally decided to make a start. Today I bought my Miner's Right license and a pan and am planning to go for a day trip next week to the Ballarat area or south of Ballarat, maybe Buninyong. I would very much appreciate any locations in this area that is suitable for a beginner, any creeks or streams for panning where I won't get in trouble from the authorities. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

In the future I am planning on doing some gold detecting in the golden triangle area, maybe purchase a used GPX 4500, but just for starters I thought I would give panning a go.

Once again any help would be deeply appreciated.

StLeon
StLeon
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-12-21

Back to top Go down

Panning in Ballarat or south of Ballarat. Empty Re: Panning in Ballarat or south of Ballarat.

Post  FoolsGold Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi StLeon

Welcome aboard StLeon. Can't help with any panning areas, sorry. Best of luck with the panning and may the golden triangle be generous to you.

FoolsGold

santa

FoolsGold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Back to top Go down

Panning in Ballarat or south of Ballarat. Empty Re: Panning in Ballarat or south of Ballarat.

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:12 pm

Give this guy a try,

Australian Goldpanning Association inc.
President: Gerry Tobin
gerardtobin50@hotmail.com

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi StLeon and welcome to the site. If you are interested in panning and such try this site for very good info as well www.alluvialgprospectors.proboards.com You will have to join first to get most of the info, but it just a formality.
Happy golding
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Welcome to the forum StLeon and I hope you enjoy your new hobby.
Goldmonad is right on the mark putting you on to Gerry Tobin.
He is a local Ballarat identity ( quite a character in his own right ) and will know all the likely gold panning areas around Ballarat.
Cheers spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Frog Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Welcome StLeon I have not been panning but the creeks are still running south of Ballarat.
I was out near Linton detecting today,one .2 gram bit today.
Don't forget the repellent the mozzies are friendly.frog

Frog
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  StLeon Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcoming, this is a great forum, a lot of helpful people. Also thanks for the suggestions too, any more would be greatly appreciated.
StLeon
StLeon
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:21 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:01 pm

Don't pan the Yarrowee Creek close to Ballarat ( i.e. immediately south of Sebastopol )
You may pick up a nugget or two from the treatment plant. Surprised
When panning the Yarrowee also keep an eye out for sapphires.
Also, Slatey Creek at Creswick is a very good panning spot at this time of year and is a lovely area. BBQ facilities and toilets.
Cheers spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldendream Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:44 am

You could also try the upper Yarrowee which is accessible off the Brown Hill to White Swan Reservoir road.

goldendream
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:46 pm

St.Leon contact the Gov.mines dept either by phone or online -- im sure you will get all the legal areas you need --happy hunting Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  StLeon Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi all,

Did a day trip to Slaty Creek, Creswick today, thanks for the suggestion Spinna. Parked at the Number 1 picnic ground and walked upstream for a bit. Did some panning and brought home 2 tiny specks of gold, I was quite chuffed with myself as it was my first trip out and was expecting to find nothing. Thanks again for all your help, am already looking forward to my next trip, hopefully next week, am planning to go to picnic ground Number 2. I officially have the gold bug now!
StLeon.
StLeon
StLeon
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:18 am

Congrats StLeon, you have now joined the Gold Bug Club.
When you become accustomed to the area, try moving away from the car park areas as these have been given a good workout over the years.
Even though they still present colour, there is plenty of good panning in the surrounding areas.
Handy to get a good map of the area.
Dept. of Crown Lands and Survey (if it is still called that!) Topographic Map Creswick 7623-2-2 or you may be able to access on line.
Probably still available at the Government Offices ("Glass House") Cnr. Mair and Doveton (Creswick Rd) Sts, opposite the old Civic Hall.
Cheers spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:51 pm

Stleon, PM sent
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  StLeon Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:40 pm

Just a quick question, am I allowed to use a mini sluice in Slaty Creek, I'm thinking of buying one next week. Also looking for a good prospecting shop in Ballarat, does anyone know of one?
Any help appreciated.

StLeon.

PS: Merry Christmas everybody! santa
StLeon
StLeon
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi StLeon.
Mini sluice using the creeks water flow only should not be a problem. I used one for a number of years without any concerns being raised.
The only "detector shop" as such is Days in Howitt St near the Showgrounds. (just up from Creswick. Rd).
They mainly trade in small machinery and only stock basic detecting items.
Cheers spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down