Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Info on Tasmania please!

4 posters

Go down

Info on Tasmania please! Empty Info on Tasmania please!

Post  Guest Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi All;
I need some help regarding prospecting in Tasmania.
I have just been given the opportunity to visit Tasmania in the next few weeks.
I had never expected to visit Tassie and therefore haven't done any research regarding its goldfields.
The sudden nature of this visit has caught me short and I won't have the time to do the required research.
I don't expect any revelations of your best spots but would appreciate any suggestions on any area that might be good to have a scratch.
I will be doing the full circuit if the Island but my prospecting time will be limited to a few days, three tops. Won't be able to strip the Island bare in that time Very Happy
Hope someone can help,
Scrat

PS Any fees applicable ? I understand some areas require a detecting license others don't.

Last edited by Scrat on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : corrected and added aditional information.)

Back to top Go down

Info on Tasmania please! Empty Re: Info on Tasmania please!

Post  detecta2 Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:22 pm

gday scrat, i did the full tour of tas last year, fantastic trip,

i hooked up wth a member of this site from launceston,"mini miner",nice gent, havnt seen him post recently. we went nthwst of launceston to a place called back creek, you could see evidence there that the ground had 3m[1o'] taken off it,i wasnt dressed for the waste high scrub of ferns and spear grass[need snake gaiters or gum boots] so after warnings from nat. parks about the great numbers of tiger snakes out and about looking for partners in the middle of there breeding season[january],i just stuck around the clearings and dirt tracks, scored a 0.3 for my efforts..

'' alluvial gold prospectors ''has a bit of info in there search,i didnt get there but im told theres some good areas heading back up the coast after straun. mate, if you like oysters theres an area about 6 k's south of huonvale,look for the salmon farms on the left heading south and youll find the mothers of all oysters, i filled an esky and 2 buckets in about 10 minutes,jared them the next night and pigged out on them for the next 7 days, never seen the mrs so happy,

regards phill

detecta2
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks’ for the information ‘detecta2’.
Wished you hadn’t mentioned the slithery’s as the support team freaked. affraid
Seriously, thanks. It is better to be aware of these reptiles. Saves ruining the holiday with a trip to the hospital or worse the undertaker. Oysters sound good, hope we can get there.
It’s a mad scramble at the moment, trying to get everything together in time. Working on updating my mapping software for Tasmania so that we have a better idea of exactly where we are when driving on the back tracks.
Thanks again.
Scrat

Back to top Go down

Post  Fly_Dirt Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:09 pm

http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/page?_pageid=35,831322&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Here's a link for you - hope it helps.

Mrs Fly
Fly_Dirt
Fly_Dirt
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Info on Tasmania please! Empty Tasmaian information

Post  Greenwell2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:32 am

Howdy all,
Just a comment on the link of mrs fly. These areas are gemstone fossicking areas and are subject to a fair go for all rules. Not sure how much gold is in them but there is agate, petrified wood, petrified manfern, saphire, topaz, smoky quartz to name a few.
A couple of links on the history of gold mining in tas.
http://tysaustralia.com/goldrushtasmania.html
http://www.tasminerals.com.au/gold.htm
Cheers
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-11-25

Back to top Go down

Info on Tasmania please! Empty Very useful maps from MRT

Post  Greenwell2 Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Gday again all,
Mineral resources tasmania has a interactive map that shows current( I think) Leases, exploration areas etc. There is also the owners details to be found which makes it a very useful map. I found it while looking for Back Creek after reading the thread since I had no idea where it was Smile. Oh yeah the link.

http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/Viewer/Exposure/E3?REQUEST=Entry&PRJ=Tenements&DELETE_DEFAULT=Y&SID=64519354&MODE=mrt

If copying and pasting all that doesnt help go to

www.tasminerals.com.au. - then hold your curser over
Minerals Industry in Tasmania - then click on
Major mines and processors map - then
on-line data - then
webmap viewer - then ( nearly there) in the drop down box in the rh corner
Tenements

now you can explore to your hearts content. It pointed out to me that the Back creek area has 3 leases on it so I would have to be careful going in there.
that should keep you going for a while.
cheers
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Greenwell2
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2011-11-25

Back to top Go down

Info on Tasmania please! Empty tassy

Post  starry Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:59 pm

mate if you need info on tracks in TAS go to tassie4wd.com lots info there , also there is a book available called off road tasmania by Chris Boden which has some great maps of tracks all over tas cheers Mick p.s prospecting licence is available from service Tasmania and costs $14 per year and has all conditions for prospecting down here good luck on the colour Mick
starry
starry
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-08-02

http://tas-prospecting.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down