Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The western australian cancer bush found around kalgoorlie

+18
mungoman
mark garrett
lbg dreamer
rocket1100
jedda
chopppacalamari
TheH0ward
Nightjar
paulf
HOBO'S Gold
Razgo
BradShell
GoldstalkerGPX
Narrawa
sandy2010
Pebbles
Alan WA
granite2
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The western australian cancer bush found around kalgoorlie Empty The western australian cancer bush found around kalgoorlie

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56 pm

This is to all the western australian guys and gals out that way. I have been shown a tree a small prickly bush that a lot of prospectors boil up in a stainlesss steel billy for about 2 or 3 hours and then sip the solution left. They sip it because it is so bitter and tastes fowl. But it is suppose to be a aboriginal favoured plant that is used to cleanse the body of toxins and help get rid of cancer or slow the cancer down.

can anyone tell me a bit more on this bush and if it is fair dinkum or just a old bush tale

It sounds like another bush remedy to me if it is true??? Suspect

Back to top Go down

The western australian cancer bush found around kalgoorlie Empty Re: The western australian cancer bush found around kalgoorlie

Post  granite2 Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:34 am

G'day Explorer, I think someone is having some fun with you on that one. It would be all over the medical world in no time.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

The western australian cancer bush found around kalgoorlie Empty Re: The western australian cancer bush found around kalgoorlie

Post  Alan WA Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:36 am

Its called Maroon Bush.
Got a little white flower with 5 petals on it like a hand.
Quite refreshing to drink if you just pour some hot water over itand let sit for
a few minutes.
Heard some good stories abut it.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Pebbles Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 am

Hi Explorer:
The bush you are referring to has at least three common names one of which is the Maroon Bush. The boiled extract of this plant is a traditional Aboriginal bush remedy and its use in the trearment of cancer is well documented. Apparently, at one time the West Australian government made an extract of the plant available to terminally ill cancer patients. For many years, my neighbour (an old Kalgoorlie man) used to keep a bottle of the plant extract in his beer fridge and take a swig every day. He reckoned prevention was better than cure! Do a Google search and you will find more information. The following two URLs provide some information and will provide some keywords and links.
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=209347
http://www.cancersupportwa.org.au/newsletter_article.php?news_id=218
Hope this helps.
Col

Pebbles
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Back to top Go down

The western australian cancer bush found around kalgoorlie Empty The westwern australian cancer bush....

Post  sandy2010 Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am

A mate had lung cancer( the deadliest form of cancer there is) and was told by the doctors he had 3 months to live......he used the "bush" and the cancer disapeared for 5 years when again he was told "it was all over"......again he took the medicine and again the cancer vanished...that was a couple of years back.
The doctors call him "the miracle man"........(he never told them about the "medicine"....because of cynicism).
ONE VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
The bush is a protected species and if you are caught tampering with it, they will hang you upside down on the nearest tree (especially if you are from the Eastern States.....sorry, could'nt resist that one).
My mate has a special permit that allows him to harvest his "medicine".

The problem now is the numerous phone calls he gets from people wanting more information.........!

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:27 pm

Santa is real also, try tampering with that!! Razz
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Narrawa wrote:Santa is real also, try tampering with that!! Razz

He is too, can't you feel his presence. lol!

When I was working in WA about five years ago I read an article about a cattle farmer that was diagnosed with prostate cancer, with nothing to loose he mixed up some of the 'medicine' (sorry don't remember the fine details) that he gave the cattle according to his weight etc etc. After taking his concoction and further test the cancer was gone. Question

remember that anything is possible, they probably laughed at Sir Alexander Fleming in 1928 as well and really what good is penicillin. Laughing

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

The western australian cancer bush found around kalgoorlie Empty WA Cancer bush

Post  BradShell Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi, the bush you are refering to (Maroon Bush) is prolific to the Murchison region. The tea made from the bush is helpful in the cleansing of toxins from the body. I was lucky enough to learn about this bush from some local's and made up several batches for my sister who was suffering from advanced bowel cancer. Whilst she was taking this tea, (with more conventional cancer treatments) her Doctors were amazed at her blood results. Unfortunatley the cancer was too far though her system to eradicate totally, but she managed to hang on for 5 years, before passing away last year. I have several friends who also swear by this treatment, and lets face it, when someone you love is suffering from this horrendous disease, you will give anything a go. There are a few out there trying to profit from this natural remidy, to those people, you should be ashamed.
The tea tastes slightly earthy with a floral aftertaste, and best made when the fruit is ready to eat, but can be made at any time. The berries are like sweet little grapes with a seed in the middle. (quite nice actually)
The plant is very spikey so good gloves are needed when picking.
Shell
BradShell
BradShell
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:25 pm

so how exactly is the tea made? you collect both leaves and flowers and berry? then soak the lot in water then drain off?

or just use leaves only? or the flower part?

i id find a site that suggested the aborigines used the root.

The fanflower is a traditional Aboriginal medicine, root decoctions
having been used for stomach ache and urinary problems, while
decoction of broken stems are purported to cure skin rashes, boils and
sores.

russ

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2010-11-04

http://www.medicalpricewatch.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  BradShell Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:37 pm

You just harvest enough of the plant to fill a large stock pot, choosing stems of about the diameter of a pencil or less. Taking care not to destroy the plant, just give it a good pruning. There are usually a few growing within the area so choose the healthiest bushes & take a few cuttings.
Take it home and give it a gentle rinse in cool water if it looks a bit dusty. Though be carefull as the leaves drop off very easily. cut it into 3 inch lengths placing it into the stock pot and fill the pot with cool water. I then just bring it upto a simmer and cook for upto 15-40 mins. You will loose a bit of liquid to evaporation but not too much. Cool it down in the pot and then strain into glass jars. You drink about a shot glass worth morning and night. It keeps for a long time in a dark cupboard. Just refrigerate the bottle you are using. Sometimes it gets a bit of a scum in the top of the bottle, it wont hurt you, just skim it off.
It can be added to cordial if you don't like the taste, but it generally isn't too unpleasant. If your lucky enough to find a plant with berries, that is when it is at its best. (and they taste great) The plants thrive after a bit of rain, and in creek beds.
Shell
BradShell
BradShell
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Here is some info about this bush http://www.bushmedicine.ws/

Regards Johnny sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Aspirin's cancer-busting effect welcomed
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/8177195/aspirins-cancer-busting-effect-welcomed

News that a "simple" aspirin a day can help to ward off a broad array of often deadly cancers has been welcomed by Australian experts.

Cancer Council Australia chief executive Ian Olver said the research, published in UK journal The Lancet, confirmed the commonly used painkiller had impressive cancer-fighting abilities.

"(The research) found across the board a 21 per cent decrease in mortality, which is a very large impact for something as simple as taking aspirin," Professor Olver said in a statement on Tuesday.

"I think this study proves the principle that a simple treatment like aspirin can be used to prevent a range of cancers with quite an impressive reduction in mortality.

"We should do some cancer-specific studies to find out the best dose, duration and which age groups should be taking it."

The research took in eight previous clinical trials, totalling about 25,500 patients, which looked at the effect of taking aspirin.

The studies were not originally focused on its cancer-fighting properties, though this effect was teased out by looking for cancer incidence and deaths among trial participants and also through long-term monitoring.

The research showed doses of aspirin as low as 75 milligrams - a fraction the normal dose for a headache - could cut cancer deaths overall by 21 per cent.

Risk was especially reduced after five years of aspirin use, by 30 to 40 per cent depending on the type of cancer.

The 20-year risk dropped on average by a fifth: 10 per cent for prostate cancer, 30 per cent for lung cancer, 40 per cent for colon cancer, and 60 per cent for oesophageal cancer.

Aspirin is believed to have a protective effect because it inhibits an enzyme called COX-2, which promotes cell proliferation in cancer tumours.

Aspirin also has blood-thinning properties, prompting many doctors to recommend its regular use to lower a person's risk of heart attack, clot-related strokes and other blood flow problems.

rofessor Olver said while earlier studies had pointed to aspirin having a broader benefit, questions had remained about whether this would be outweighed by problems such as increased cases of internal bleeding.

he latest research "does answer the question about whether the benefit for cancer mortality is in fact outweighed or not by the side-effect of bleeding, and it finds that it isn't," he said.

rofessor Bryan Williams, director of the Monash Institute of Medical Research at Monash University, said the research revealed the "remarkable protective effects (of aspirin) against a variety of common cancers that likely have a common inflammatory component as part of their initiation process".

Professor Bernard Stewart, director of the Cancer Control Program, South East Sydney Area Health Service, also welcomed the finding but said it should not give a green light for other risky behaviour.

"This good news about aspirin does not displace any of the cancer preventive measures - stop smoking, limit alcohol, avoid obesity, exercise and take care in the sun," Prof Stewart said.

"Individuals must consult their GP regarding the personal applicability of these results."

Back to top Go down

Post  paulf Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:01 pm

This person sell the tea from his site

http://naturalcancertreatment.org/content/view/20/54/

Paul

paulf
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:28 pm

I live in a town full of them, and i still get called brudda, you must be doing something wrong Jim. Laughing

Last edited by Nightjar on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Contravening forum rules)
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Hey brudda, I've never had a bad altercation with one but more a passing shot. Been called some nasty names in NZ too, but that was years ago. I usually get on well with both Maori and Aboriginals.

Cheers, Jim

Last edited by Nightjar on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Contravening forum rules)
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:50 am

Thanks shell for the info on how to brew it. I noticed you didn't mention the roots in your brew?

I know with dandelion you can brew the roots for a different effect than that of the stem and leaves. I give my wife dandelion root tea to prevent pneumonia which she used to get often.(works well)

That website that sells it wants $95 for 5 50g bags?

Well being in Brisbane i guess i am in for along drive as it appears to only grow in that area?

russ

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:19 am

Gday

I remember some time back when some friends were interested in the Maroon bush and we were looking about for them while detecting, they are much easier to recognise while in flower with their white fan shaped flowers, there are similar shrubs to them about so care should be taken when identifying them or you may get something that is poisonous instead, I have seen them around Paynes Find, Cue, Meekatharra, Mount Jackson, Kalgoorlie etc so they are pretty well all over the goldfields.

They were brewing a tea from the leaves and branches to drink, and were talking about other people they knew getting results in treating cancer and other issues with the liver and kidneys.

I have never heard of the aboriginals calling us maggots and personally would find that as objective as they would getting called a coon, name calling is for kids, anyway I have never had any real issues with the aboriginals in the goldfields areas, but have had a couple of confronations here at home and around the city, I think they are different in the bush to the city.

Anyway if you google Maroon bush or cancer bush you should be able to get a fair bit more information about it and from what I have been told to date there are quite a few people using it and getting benefits from it too so it sounds well worth looking in to if you have health issues, or even just to drink as a preventative measure.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  BradShell Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi Razgo,
I'm not sure about the use of the plant root sorry. I was shown this method by an Elder in our community. After learning a bit more about the plant I bought a book called Wadjarri Wisdom by a lady named Estelle Leyland. It lists most of the Bush Tucker/Bush Medicine plants in the Murchison. It was available from the Yamatji Language Centre in Geraldton. Its a very popular book and is republished regularly.
Its a shame that you can only get this plant in the teabag form which is pretty expensive. Maybe a trip over is on the cards for you Very Happy
As I mentioned before the tea lasts for a very long time if stored correctly, (think months instead of weeks)
Shell
BradShell
BradShell
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:05 pm

GoldstalkerGPX,
Don't want to get into a shooting match over this, Granites original post was out of order and would have incited discontent if left in the thread, unfortunately any member using this post as a quote further incites the issue.
This of course doesn't prevent you or any other member quoting if the content is within our forum rules.

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/welcome-to-our-forum-f5/welcome-the-rules-of-the-forum-t3.htm

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi all,
Caught up with an oldtimer camped in the bush near Wilson's Patch. He told me he was in the area to collect the Maroon Bush.
He showed me the bush that I would liken to Rosemary although the leaves were less friendly. (Prickly)
He was doing exactly what has been explained in the above posts.
When you are desperate like he is with advanced cancer I suppose you would try anything even if there is no recorded medical proof.
AB & JB Cribb have written a 228 pge book "Wild Medicine in Australia" it doesn't mention the Maroon Bush but has many other natural remedies, many used by early Aborigines.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  BradShell Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:11 pm

I think the Aboriginal name for it is Gubburra. Not sure if I have spelled it correctly, the Elder I spoke to called it Gubburra Tea.
Shell
BradShell
BradShell
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:44 am

all very interesting Smile
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:54 am

yes i will be making a trip to the closest maroon bush which is probably Kalgoorlie?

I hope to be making trips to bottom end of NSW within the next month or 2 so from there i will make the dash over and back.

I find it simply amazing sometimes what a simple bush tea will do for your health. My wife used to get pneumonia 2-3 time a year. Since giving her 20ml or one teaspoon of Dandelion Root tea she hasn't had pneumonia in 2 years!

who know s what health benefits this maroon bush might have for her. I am hoping it might help my parents though who has ovarian cancer, liver cancer, COPD, and emphysema between them.

russ

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:22 pm

I've seen it on the side of the road between Norseman and the Kambalda turn off.
Seems to like the laterite country.

Might want to check at Ceduna in case the quarantine guys want to take it off
you on the way back.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

The western australian cancer bush found around kalgoorlie Empty Re; The Western Aust Cancer Bush........

Post  sandy2010 Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:05 am

Also as I mentioned in an earlier posting.....It is a protected species !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER................

Last edited by sandy2010 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To stymie any unwarranted comments.)

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:51 pm

Apparently the aboriginals had another plant they used to dry the leaves out and then smoke it. It gave them a high and helped them communicate wit the spirits. I think it was called gungijuana.

Dikco..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:57 am

um Dicko,

Are you sleep deprived? Shocked If its a case of guessing whether the statement is true or false.... I am going to go with false.

Cause you got your name wrong an all!

Cheers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Alan WA wrote:I've seen it on the side of the road between Norseman and the Kambalda turn off.
Seems to like the laterite country.

Might want to check at Ceduna in case the quarantine guys want to take it off
you on the way back.

Alan

so if i dry it and bag it for tea bags it should be fine to take anywhere? since it is being sold as tea bags i am guessing this would be fine.

russ

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:11 pm

what i did this year was wait for the plant to have its little white flower and then it has a little red berry about 6mm long and red in colour. this is the seed. Pick and take some dirt from the area home with u and u will have your own bush in a couple of months. Hope this helps. Do not go ripping up all the bushes for the roots the branches are strong enough for a good brew.

taking a few seeds around september late is best. ( But dont go ripping up all the plants as they are getting harder to find in some spots now. )

Back to top Go down

Post  Razgo Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:23 pm

chopppacalamari wrote:Apparently the aboriginals had another plant they used to dry the leaves out and then smoke it. It gave them a high and helped them communicate wit the spirits. I think it was called gungijuana.

Dikco..

actually they used to burn and smoke the maroon bush Scaevola Spinescens as a treatment for colds as thats the info i found on the net.

Not sure if the plant will grow in Brisbane?

Razgo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next