Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roof Top tents

2 posters

Go down

Roof Top tents Empty Roof Top tents

Post  grumblebum Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:26 am

Looking at roof top tents. There are so very many out there. Anyone have any experience with them? Pros and Cons.

regards
Mark

grumblebum
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Roof Top tents Empty Re: Roof Top tents

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Mark.
For what they are designed for they are brilliant, short overnight stays in relative comfort off the ground out of reach of nasty things.
I have one on Ebay at the moment, selling it only due to lack of use. Havent used it for a few years now so may aswell part with it.
Take less than 5 minutes to put up or down by one person with ease. I loved it!

Some I see are now equiped with an annex with floors etc... making them quite comfortable enough for longer stretches...trouble is, if it's on the roof of your vehicle your stuck there unless you have backup transport. Also the put up or down time would be conciderably longer, some requiring some sort of degree in a construction or engineering field and a team of workers.

Cheers!

P.S. the one I bought was an unbranded one off Ebay, it was the EXACT same one as sold by ARB at 4 times the price. ARB bought thiers at the time off the same bloke, whacked thier logo on the side and then sold it for a whopping profit

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Gday

I was quite interested in roof top tents before I bought my troopie and turned that into a camper, but thought that they took up too much room on the roofrack leaving very little room for other things like solar panels, tool boxes and spare wheels etc.

Anyway what I did see that caught my eye was a trailer that had a roof top tent on the top of that, you could carry all the other gear, water etc in the trailer and sleep on the top, it means that you dont have to cart it all about with you on the car, it would actually be a quite economical option to a camper trailer or setting up a camper van giving you a high and dry place to sleep.

It pays to shop around as far a gear goes, there is a lot of stuff on ebay that is similar quality to name brand gear sold by the 4wd shops etc but can be $100s cheaper, best way to do it is to shop around and work out the best features and then watch ebay for similar ones.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  grumblebum Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks MT.
Stayer, I came to a similar conclusion today. Trailer could carry a Quad, tent on top. More research.

regards

Mark

grumblebum
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:08 am

Gday Grumblebum

What a great name, thats what my brothers and I nicknamed our late stepdad, the name stuck well and truly, one time he had a go at me and one of the brothers because we renamed his dog REX to FRUITBAT Laughing it was a silly looking dog, anyway it wouldnt come if you called out REX but would only come if you called out FRUITY FRUITY here FRUITY Very Happy should have heard him grumble about that one.

Anyway thats a bit off subject but was really funny at the time, I think that the best bit about setting up a trailer with the roof top tent rather than putting it on top of your car is that it frees up the roof rack space for other stuff, I have tool boxes mounted on my roof rack where I carry tools, spare parts and gear like a chain, rotary hammer, picks etc, saves having to carry any of it inside the car.

You can also just unhook it and leave it, so you are not carrying the excess weight about on your vehicle either while in the bush or when home, as far as the roof top tents go I have seen some really light weight ones as well which are made from nylon material not canvas and often see them for sale on ebay etc.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:29 am

Hi Grumblebum, just curious Dragon is the companion?

Alf
New Poster
New Poster

Registration date : 2010-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  grumblebum Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:00 am

Hi Alf

!!! Yes!!??? (but I doubt we know each other)

grumblebum
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down