10 million live crayfish sitting off china ports in lobster embargo

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

10 million live crayfish sitting off china ports in lobster embargo Empty 10 million live crayfish sitting off china ports in lobster embargo

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 am

They are slowly being dumped over the sides of ships and dieing in transit while waiting to be allowed in the country.

Over ten million of them.

This is totally wrong.

I hope we get plenty of cheap crays in australia for Xmas as a result of chinas stupidity. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

10 million live crayfish sitting off china ports in lobster embargo Empty Re: 10 million live crayfish sitting off china ports in lobster embargo

Post  Undertaker on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:00 pm

It's a disgrace! they should accept them considering they ordered them in the first place.The Chinese are probably sick of paying AU$100 a kilo for SA crayfish. They are now getting them cheaper from South Africa and New Zealand. The local fish mongers are selling Crays at $69.99 per kg which is still a ripoff!, they can stick their Crays up their jumper. SA prawns are selling at $20 kg which is much better value.
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

10 million live crayfish sitting off china ports in lobster embargo Empty Re: 10 million live crayfish sitting off china ports in lobster embargo

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:07 pm

On the news they are saying that Lobsters in aust that where selling for $80 a kg will be selling at about $30 a kg just before Xmas. I hope so.

Some places now sell top of the line Prawns for about $22.00 kg in sydney now and i picked up a kilo of the cheapies over here last saturday at a market for $4.99 a kilo. they normally sell for $14.

the rains and high aussie is great for seafood lovers in australia this christmas. rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  Undertaker on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:25 pm

$4.99kg, you are taking a big risk there. Most of the cheap imported prawn are farmed in fresh water underneath chicken cages. The chicken droppings feed the prawns. You may find yourself sitting on the loo for the next cupla days.
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:47 pm

I just got them for the novelty value as when was the last time u got prawns for $4.99 a kilo. Sure the quality was not great and the size a bit smaller than average. But it was a kilo of cooked red prawns for under $5. \
It amazes me how they can ship them from where-ever. Then sell them for that price and still make a profit on them.

UNBELIEVEABLE

Back to top Go down

Post  Undertaker on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Could be a good opportunity to invite some friends you don't like around for dinner. Very Happy

Last edited by Undertaker on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Guys, even if the crays sell at $30kg which is cheaper, the only people making the bucks will be the Fishmongers who sell to us. Is it still worth it at$30kg considering the amount of edible flesh you get out of one crayfish, not much. I think that the humble prawn is the best value for money so as long it's Aussie caught and not the Asian one's. The Aussie seafood is the go for me.
Cheers,
uncle bob

Back to top Go down

Post  U308 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Spoke to a couple of deckies yesterday they got the word out on the boat $21.00 a kilo landed, one boat tipped $7000 worth back into the ocean...was not worth bringing them in, the pot lease rates come into play if leasing also the Quota......they are taking the pots out of the water until prices lift......so maybe no cheap crays for christmas unless things change??

Tough for the boys aswell........no income stream!!
This is in the West.
U308
U308
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Yes sure undertaker U Corkhead. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Those fishermen will not fish while the price is low. They don't even fish when the price is down between special events like Christmas & Chinese New Year etc. They have had it so good for so long it won't do them any harm to hurt for a while.

I don't understand why they ignore the Australian market. If they sold for about $30 a kilo they could sell heaps locally over Christmas and New Year and at least make some money. Cray fisherman have a license to print money. Many build huge homes, holdiday overseas for several months a year and still manage pay little or no income tax.

The problem seems to be that for many years they have been short circuiting the Mainland China import duties by getting their crays in through Hong Kong.

Wouldn't you be happy to see an embargo on a product if it was the other way around and the Chinese were trying to evade duties here?

The problem may also have something to do with the lack of fisherman Co-ops. Years ago we used have Co-ops all along the coast. These Co-ops sourced new markets where ever they could. Therse days China buys 90% of our crays. Anyone who relies that much on one market is plain stupid and asking for trouble and the Chinese know it. The Chinese, as a race, are very astute business people. Australians, by and large are mugs by comparison. It will be very interesting to see how this pans out.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1619
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:32 pm

granite2 wrote: The Chinese, as a race, are very astute business people. Australians, by and large are mugs by comparison. It will be very interesting to see how this (pans) out.

Pans out LOL was that pun granite.

Lucky they aren't allowed to come over here to harvest the crays like the did with our GOLD back then.

DINGO

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:19 am

Gday

Yeah lucky they are not allowed to harvest the crays here or we would be buying them from Sth Africa as well as there would be none left, anyway wouldnt hurt the cray fisherman to lose a few bucks, maybe it might make them realise that if they were realistic about there prices then they could develope a good market here in Australia.

Could be a case of good lesson learnt for them.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:16 am

Can't believe some of the rubbish i'm reading here.
The main point is if this goes on much longer thousands of jobs will be lost just before christmas.
The crayfish don't just get unloaded then magically appear in china!
There are thousands of jobs involved.
This will have a huge impact on ordinary families right before christmas.
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:32 pm

The latest on the cray front is some big chinese government departments and officials were missing out on some revenue and kick backs from some big importers of the produce that were bypassing the system and some fees and tariffs the chinese government has in place. So they the chinese government has stopped the imports as punishment for a while.

It is affecting the entire cray production chain from fishermen in australia to imports into china.

Just imagine if they stopped imports of aussie coal and iron ore for a while. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Undertaker on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:34 pm

Explorer,
Granite2 already told us your latest information yesterday.
You also mentioned what if China decided not to buy our Iron ore and Coal for a while. I believe the threat of that happening is very real considering they have 71million tons of ore stockpiled already. They also have their own massive coal reserves. Remember the only reason the world is not in another great depression is because of huge government stimulus spending on a global scale. Chinas stimulus spending is the largest of all and without it we would be in deep doodoo. If all this stimulus doesn't kickstart the world economy we will eventually be propelled into a world depression deeper than the one we originally tried to avoid.
China is so desperate to boost GDP they are building great cities with nobody living in them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h7V3Twb-Qk
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Birdman on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Could be a payback over the australian rare earths deal with japan.

That is the problem when you have a single gordon gecko running the country.
Birdman
Birdman
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Back to top Go down

10 million live crayfish sitting off china ports in lobster embargo Empty Beware of Imported Asain Seafood

Post  evan2010 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Guys I did a diploma in Aquaculture a few years ago, and the Most Shocking things I learnt about were how China and other Asian countries farmed thier seafood. They are Grown in Sewerage ponds and pumped full of Growth Hormones that are banned Elsewhere due to the risk of Cancer causing carcinogens. Dont risk your Health and Pay a Little extra for Fresh Australian Produce!
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 pm

Good day All.
Why can.t the fishermen sell straight to the public like they can in the east & cut the middle man out & that way you may get the public onside instead of just looking after the asians?
Cheers Greg

Greg
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:29 pm

There are no 10 million crayfish sitting in boats off the coast of China. This is all crap put about by mischief making fools.

All live rock lobster shipments are flown in to Hong Kong by air. I know this as I used to work in the industry.

The fishermen sell to the buyers who place the fish in large tanks full of seawater. Later they grade for size, cool the fish, place them in insulated foam boxes packed with wood shavings and take them to the airport. The crayfish are then flown direct to Hong kong, unloaded and delivered to the fish market or to the purchaser.

Only the Americans sell frozen cray tails and they can be kept a long time without loss.

And unfortunately the industry is so closely guarded direct sales to the public are strictly banned and attract huge fines if the law is broken.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

10 million live crayfish sitting off china ports in lobster embargo Empty RE Crayfish

Post  bushranger on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:08 pm

`People knock the seafood from Asia and probely with good reason but then you get the tens of thousands of Aussies that
travel to Asia and all rave about how good and how cheap it is to eat, do they think that the food is imported from
Australia?
Cheers Greg

bushranger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:33 am

Well Bring on the depression.

Went to a seafood buffet restaurant last night.

All the seafood you can eat. Moreton Bay bugs/ blue swimmer/sand crabs/oysters/SUPER AUSSIE large king prawns. Then the baby marinated octopus and salmon and yabbies and cooked snapper. Then oysters kilpatrick and oyster mornay i think. There was so much aussie seafood the list just went on and on and on.

Then the desserts cheesecake and souffle and mudcake and pavlova etc etc etc.

All prime aussie seafood for the princely sum of $39.00 ( and u could go back as much as you like)

As for the 10million lobsters on the wharfes and off china in boats that made the newspapers in sydney and the internet. I was just repeating it. Other countries have been affected as well.

UNDERTAKER IS RIGHT. No more tightarse $4.99 prawns for me anymore. Or my mates OR SHOULD I SAY ONE FRIEND.

Its all you can eat $39.00 seafood feast ( just bring your bucket with ya ) kinda meals for me now.

Lordy Lordy I have seen the lights. An it is a seafood one.

I FROM THIS DAY FORWARD I WILL NO LONGER BE A TIGHTARSE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. (UNTIL NEXT TME ANY WAY THAT IS)

ALSO SEE THE BAD EMPLOYMENT FIGURES OUT OF THE STATES LAST NIGHT HAVE PUSHED THE AUSSIE DOLLAR NEAR PARITY WITH THE USA AGAIN. THIS IS NOT GOOD. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:49 pm

A high dollar is good if you plan to travel overseas but the amount of people buying on-line is beginning to hurt us. Some retail business are being forced by low sales into putting staff off - and this is just before Christmas. Think what it may be like after Christmas? Everything has a price and splurging on low priced goods from overseas may well put your family, or mine, out of work. Most things are at an all time low price in this country right now so it doesn't hurt to buy local, even if it does cost a bit more, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Have a great Aussie Christmas! Cheers, Jim cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  grumblebum on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Online buying is hurting the retailers.

Myers Dummy Spit

Last edited by grumblebum on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

grumblebum
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:18 pm

Online buying is hurting the retailers? Only those that haven't yet moved forward at the same pace as thier consumers and embraced current technology.

The Big retailers like coles, Myers and Woolies have been doing thier best to squeeze out the small family busness and corner stores for years! Dan Murphies, Liquorland, 4c off petrol etc...etc...
Now many of the smarter small busnesses have clicked and are running web based stores aswell as Ebay stores.

It's called progress.

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:23 pm

Bought fresh cooked crayfish today for $45.00 a kilo, now that is a better price! Last year, a week or two before Christmas they were selling in Adelaide for $96.00 a kilo. Who could afford that?

I still say buying local is best.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Coota on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm

Well, am lucky to say that I had the luxury yesterday of going out with a couple of mates and getting a bin full of fresh oysters (not from the racks or leases) and mussels Cool , then wandering back for a massive feed What a Face .....the only cost was a bit of diesel and time. There are still places where you can go and get your own if you simiply apply a bit of effort...a bit like detecting really Wink Last week, had a great feed of yabby tails, again at the cost of getting them myself.....didn't have to worry about the middleman at all Razz

As for crays, well, in season.....get them myself if I want them, or support my local fisherman who has a licence to sell and doesn't worry about the export side of things....just does it for a hobby (just as well for the locals here too...) king His price pretty much equals his cost, so we still pay but not at export rates.

And yep, prawns can be cheap but the production processes may leave a LOT to be desired.

But then, some people live in the golden triangle.....others get to live on the coast.....perhaps I could arrange a swap of nuggets for oysters pirat Laughing ....just don't tell anyone from fisheries Suspect Wink Laughing

Coota
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Used to swap half a dozen abalone for a big feed of Chinese years ago. Can't beat trading like that.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 am

Half a dozen abalone sold to a chinese merchant in dixon street sydney ( china town ) would get u about $300 dollars worth of chinese tucker now. Not saying you should do it of course.

$300 dollars is alot of chinese tucker in anyones standards. They would have to roll u out the restaurant and into a taxi to take you home. That is if you could fit in the taxi door after the feed. Other wise it is a ride home in the taxi boot job.

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:59 am

G'day Explorer, Yeah that would be great! We love Chinese tucker but that was back in the 1980's when we did that. These days, if you were caught you would be thrown in jail for a couple of years, fined tens of thousands of dollars and the Restaraunt owner would be fined hundreds of thousands and probably be deported. Things have got just a little out of hand when it comes to things like that.

I can pull on my goggles and snorkel and get kilos of abalone in water only a metre deep. The same with crays, but I don't dare do it even though I am allowed a small catch of each. We have fisheries inspectors behind every sandhill where I live and they are all foaming at the mouth trying to catch someone. If your catch is a mm undersize you are in deep shiit.

Cheers, Jim cheers
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nebuchadnezzar on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:26 am

madtuna wrote:Online buying is hurting the retailers? Only those that haven't yet moved forward at the same pace as thier consumers and embraced current technology.

The Big retailers like coles, Myers and Woolies have been doing thier best to squeeze out the small family busness and corner stores for years! Dan Murphies, Liquorland, 4c off petrol etc...etc...
Now many of the smarter small busnesses have clicked and are running web based stores aswell as Ebay stores.

It's called progress.

I think you missed the point. It has nothing to do with moving online. Most brick & mortar stores have been online for years lol. The problem being is that aussies are shopping online overseas, and by keeping purchases under $1000, they won't have to pay Australian GST. Crazy, no?
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum