Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHAOS ON THE GOLDFIELDS OF KINGOWER............

4 posters

Go down

CHAOS ON THE GOLDFIELDS OF KINGOWER............ Empty CHAOS ON THE GOLDFIELDS OF KINGOWER............

Post  kon61 Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:14 pm

The ground noise on the goldfields in and around the Kingower belt are playing havoc on pulse machines at the moment,even worse on VLFs. Hopefully the next few good sunny days ahead,quietens the ground down a little.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

CHAOS ON THE GOLDFIELDS OF KINGOWER............ Empty Re: CHAOS ON THE GOLDFIELDS OF KINGOWER............

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:14 am

G'day Kon61,

Just as a matter of interest, what machine are you running, what coils and what settings?

Robert

Back to top Go down

CHAOS ON THE GOLDFIELDS OF KINGOWER............ Empty Re: CHAOS ON THE GOLDFIELDS OF KINGOWER............

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:38 am

Very interesting. I spent quite a bit of time in the Kingower gold fields and ground noise was never an issue? I wonder if it is elec interference and not ground noise? are there any new Phone towers nearby? What detector are you using?

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  goldendream Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:45 pm

I don't know if this helps but I recollect Tony Mills in Dunolly mentioned to me at one stage that Kingower was one of the noisiest places around.I remember we were talking about the best place to try the then new ML GPX 4000 I had recently bought.He suggested Kingower since it was according to him a very noisy place and the 4000 at that stage was the quietest running detector.Never did get up there however so can't say however from personal experience whether its noisy or not.One of the local guys up there should be able to make some useful comments...Trevor

goldendream
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 pm

i used my 4000 there a few times with no problems, i was running my mono coil. all you have to do is go to smooth and that will make it heaps better if you need to.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:16 pm

G'day gents.

I hit the out skirts of Kingower the day after heavy rain fall.There was some rain on last Friday,but it came down in buckets all day Saturday and the ground was just to saturated to work some of the deeper flats on Sunday.I was using the 4500 at the time in Enhance and general with the 16 inch mono advantage Nuggetfinder.I had to reduce my gain to 5,stabilizer at 3 just to get it to run reasonably quiet and still had to continually ground balance every 3/4 meters or so.Normally in enhance i've run much higher settings over similar ground with no major problems when the ground is dry.No EMI was present at the time.Some how i have to believe that the extremely water saturated conditions,most likely, have contributed to this excessive ground noise,making the detector unstable and noisy.Some sections of ground in Kingower are already highly mineralized when dry but still manageable to swing over.I'm dumb founded as to why i couldn't run my machine smoothly on this occasion.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Kon61,

Didi you try running it in tracking?

With the gain at 5 and the stabiliser at 3 you would have done better with a Goldsnoop.
There are some very "hot" spots out there

Robert

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:26 pm

G'day Rob.

Actually the Gold Snoop would have put me to shame on that day Rob. I'm so use to running in fixed that i didn't even consider tracking.All i wanted to do is get the machine stabilized and running smoothly,at any cost,knowing that in such low settings I'd be sacrificing both sensitivity and depth.Anyway after the first half hour of use,i changed to the 2200d and an 18 inch DD Commander coil which basically,solved most(but not all) the ground noise problems.

Cheers kon61.

kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi All
Throw over 2 inches of rain on mineralised ground that changes every couple of metres and it can make it impossible to work with big Monos.Small monos or DDs are the way to go until it dries out.Dont like the idea of tuning back machines to suit the ground.Iwould like to know which is ideal depthwise and smoother.A 4000,4500 0r5000 running say a 14 mono in non full timings (sens smooth enhance ect) OR Running in full timings with a 14dd.Food for thought.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:12 am

I know im only using a VLF but i must say that the more it rains, the better i pick things up. Trouble is the darn mozzies always get the better of me! lol
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:26 am

i got bitten by a heap a week ago and some off them are still itchen, some off the bites have gone bad from scratching the hell out off them. they never bothered me but this year it just bad. one was on my arm i looked down to see what the hell was biting me, all i seen was blood running down my arm, it sucked that much blood out. it's good when it's to windy for them like today.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:27 am

I too have severe allergy to the bites, so i use an orthodontic gel which is the same stuff the dentist injects to make your mouth numb but its gel form, and i cant feel the bites once i rub a little bit on, lol. I know thats not its purpose but it works (i only tried it out of desperation one day cos id forgotten to bring my 2 favorite tubes, one is a qld made cream 'itch-eze' and the other is good old 'stingoes')

sorry to get off topic!
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:12 pm

My Misses got a little mozzie zapper thing that you use very time you get bitten. All you have to do is put this zapper on to the bite and push the plunger down and it sends a little electric shock right onto the bite and it stops iching straight away. They work a treat. You can get them in most camping shops and Army Disposal stores. I can not remember the name but if you go in and ask for the Mozzie Zapper thing for bites they should know what you are talking about.
Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Wombat wrote:My Misses got a little mozzie zapper thing that you use very time you get bitten. All you have to do is put this zapper on to the bite and push the plunger down and it sends a little electric shock right onto the bite and it stops iching straight away. They work a treat. You can get them in most camping shops and Army Disposal stores. I can not remember the name but if you go in and ask for the Mozzie Zapper thing for bites they should know what you are talking about.
Wombat
would be more fun applying it dirrectly to the mozzie! do they come in bigger versions? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  mulgadansa Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Sure do Madfish - called a Tazer afro
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

yeah i got one of those zappers too. They are good for any painful spot, like when i whack myself with the pick, i zap it and fairdinkum it works. Maybe thats why im a little crazy?? Too heavy handed with my zapper. As for a bigger one for the mozzies... i went to cheap as chips last month and bought this bug zapper that looks like a small raquette and man is it fun. I leave the back door open at home now just so i can swing at flies! So since i can multi task, i'll swing the detector with one hand and zap the mozzies with the other?

ok, it must be getting late, can you tell? lol. ZZZZzzzzzzzzz night
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:09 pm

I spent all day last Sunday at Kingower goldfields...unbelievably noisy and unstable and I was beginning to think it must be my detector...I tried every option I know of, to tune...nothing worked except to move to another area and it would start to be unstable again very quickly...constant auto tune, then manual tune and ground balancing..nothing like Heathcote which is mild in comparison...most of the diggings/open holes still contained water in abundance...my detector and coil?...GPX4000 with 14 x 9 elliptical mono goldstalker....
P.S...not as many digging holes/ ground disturbance as I would have expected but with the noisy ground I bet plenty give up reasonably quickly....the hand of faith may have been found there but now it suffers the hand of fate IMO.....

Back to top Go down