Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Info on WAANYARRA VIC please

+3
delapan
burnie
madmax800
7 posters

Go down

Info on WAANYARRA VIC please Empty Info on WAANYARRA VIC please

Post  madmax800 Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi all,
As I am in South Australia I am asking if any of you have any info on the area of WAANYARRA in VIC.
Would really appreciate it.Don't really want specifics, just if gold has been found around these parts.
Regards all
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Info on WAANYARRA VIC please Empty Re: Info on WAANYARRA VIC please

Post  burnie Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi Max, yes there has been plenty of the stuff found there, some years ago John Gladdis and others arranged a weekend gathering via this forum, due to the large turnout we ended meeting near the cemetary most found some gold, the best was 15oz by memory, I watched the guy dig it.
Does anyone here still remember? I think Jeff was there too.
burnie

burnie
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:11 am

Hi..
Yes there is gold all round that area and down into Jones's Creek...

Ray

Back to top Go down

Info on WAANYARRA VIC please Empty waanyarra gold

Post  delapan Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:50 pm

hi madmax, yes there is still gold at waanyarra, a fortnight ago had a look at a 1 oz in a jar still cleaning, found in the vicinity of the camping ground, hope this helps, regareds, gary
delapan
delapan
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi mate, have a squiz at this site. plenty of info here about waanyarra.. regards... pete.... www.waanyarra.com/

Back to top Go down

Info on WAANYARRA VIC please Empty Waanyarra gold nuggets

Post  Goldstalker Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Gday all, I happen to frequent Waanyarra alot. Dont believe everything you hear or see. I know a bloke that was camped at Waanyarra for some time (years) and the gold he claims he found was actually bought from other prospectors. This bloke used to show all the tourists and weekenders this bought gold and tell them that he found it around the camping area. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that there is no gold left at Waanyarra but it is getting thinner by the day and blokes like this mislead people into thinking that its easy going and just laying about eveywhere. Prospectors have been using Waanyarra as a decoy for years which has led to Waanyarra being over rated. Prospectors in the past claimed that their finds were found around Waanyarra when infact it was found miles away just to throw people off track. This same bloke that reckons he finds gold around the camp also had a 1 oz bit in acid cleaning a few weeks ago and said it was found in the area, the only problem is that it is a piece of brass and is also another of his little jokes to play on people. So before you jump on the band wagon and come racing over this way just remember to take everything you hear with a grain of salt, if its 10 its usually 1 and if you have been to Waanyarra camp you have probably been fooled by the local tricksters.
cheers Paul.
Goldstalker
Goldstalker
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-31

http://www.goldnuggetsales.vpweb.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Info on WAANYARRA VIC please Empty Waanyarra and Tricksters!

Post  Guest Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:56 pm

There are a number of people who basically use Waanyarra as a permanent camping spot year in year out. I have been shown a number of larger size nuggets (and no they are not brass) that have apparently recently been found near the Heritage listed cemetery and another hidden cemetery to the south of Jones Creek, plus other finds also from near Mortons pub.

I know of several people who camp at Waanyarra on a regular basis and they like to think they own the whole area.........I have seen people pull into camp and they are told to move elsewhere within the Waanyarra Goldfield by the more long termers........there appears to be a degree of tension there........and is it the same lot that are being difficult around the Posiedon area nearer Tarnagulla and also at Wehla.

It quite amuses me that certain people drive into Dunolly with caravan in tow, buy their supplies and then there is a little convoy of cars that follow them to where they are bush camping............some kind of paranoia in action me thinks.

What has to be remembered that the Waanyarra Camp site is gazzetted to be used by all; whether you are gold seeking, a bicycle rider or other bush user. It was originally built for bicyle groups many years ago and the Waanyarra area is listed as one of the great bicycle riding areas.

Yes there is still some yellow stuff to be found there............but the long term bush campers need to be looked at carefully.........they just may be spoiling it for the honest bush camper and bush user.

geolit

Back to top Go down

Info on WAANYARRA VIC please Empty waanyarra fulltimers

Post  Goldstalker Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:35 pm

Gday again, I think you are mistaken about these long term campers. I personally know these extanded campers and they are not causing problems for anybody and they have never stayed up around tarnagulla so perhaps you have confused them with someone else. I can tell you that at the moment waanyarra is almost empty with all extended campers having moved on to greener pastures. If you are coming over this way and want to find gold do it on your own part and dont listen to gossip as this will only led you astray.
cheers goldstalker.
Goldstalker
Goldstalker
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-31

http://www.goldnuggetsales.vpweb.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:52 pm

I personally know a lot of the full time campers at Waanyarra and found them to be very hospitable and friendly. They are always ready to share their campfire and have a chat. I have found that it is the blow ins who are only staying a couple of days to a week who seem to be know it alls and want to send you miles away to detect. I am not saying everybody that stays there is a know it all but a couple I have struck have to be taken with a grain of salt. Yes there is still gold in the area if you put in the hard yards and I have on most occasions at least got petrol money out of the area. Either way just have a pleasant stay there and you never know you may just trip over the big one. Steve. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax800 Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks every 1 for your views.

I have stayed there twice now without any issues and will be back there again within the month, Thanks
madmax800
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Info on WAANYARRA VIC please Empty Yes

Post  Billsymo Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Waayanyarra can be a very busy place in holiday periods, I was there two years ago, and watched a family working a digging the old way. The dug downto bedrock on the edge of the creek and cleaned out the cracks in the bedrock. I saw some of what they found it wasn't much and it was all small. I found one nice piece near them with a 4000 and lots of shotgun pellets which was an indication that the area has some spots that have no been detected.
Billsymo
Billsymo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:47 pm

One of the great things about that area MM is that you just need to walk, walk, walk and you will find a piece or two!!

Good luck
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Info on WAANYARRA VIC please Empty Info on Waanyarra......

Post  sandy2010 Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:21 am

I visited the area on a trip from WA up to Cooktown.....got a bit of gold but the main reason I called was to see the cemetery where a "Lady of the night" was buried......outside the cemetery boundary.....the powers that be would'nt let her be buried with the townsfolk !!!!!!!!

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down