Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To mod or not to mod...

+14
24kt
nero_design
Alf
Narrawa
kon61
tomahawk1
Qld Sandy
Rtanweb
MS
Scrubhen
deutran
Goldbait
granite2
extreme
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

To mod or not to mod... - Page 2 Empty Re: To mod or not to mod...

Post  MS Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi extreme
I bet your confused now ,re your question.
Your unit sounds fine to me and good luck out there, if you get stuck just send me a PM and I will try and help out if I can.
I will bow out of this discussion as there is nothing more I can say that hasn't been said before.
To the few that seem to enjoy a stir with someone who uses a older modded GP detector Sleep
Cheers Mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:40 pm

The 5000 is a new machine with up to date components. Lets go there in 2 years time and see what happens.

A GP is 10 years old. which is why people mod these with up to date components.

But from reading these posts your not going to change any one's opinions on "if they like mods". People have already made up their mind and aren't will to change their opinion.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:50 pm

MS wrote:
Hi HueyDuck
My modded 3500 was able to find smaller deeper finds than a friend with his 4000, when he switched to sensitive smooth his unit was running quieter but lost depth even further, there were lots of reports of stability issues with this model .
Not having ago at you here Mark and know you don't wont to continue defending what works for you but a question, why was the user of the 4000 using s/smooth in an area where it was not called for? was his unit one of the ones with the stability issue??
Obviously if you were able to use your detector modded or not in this area the use of s/smooth was the the wrong choice for the 4000 operator, assuming both were using the same coil?

Could it be that the s/smooth/enhance timings has made many operators lazy/spoiled, by thinking these timings will cover all ground types?
Having both 4000 and 4500 I can tell you that if you think this way, or operate them thinking one timing will cover all ground types your wrong! this is one of the reasons you find gold over so called flogged areas. Wrong settings due to being spoiled is one of them reasons.
Its been said by JP many times, there are trade offs, and rightly so, why would an operator after using either of the super quiet timings use one of the older timings?
I found a lot of my gold with the 4000 using s/extra, and continue to do so on my 4500.

The best mod is the upgrading of your own wit.

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Excellent wright up Narrawa.I know of many that have never been out of Enhance Mode regardless of whether or not the ground is noisy or quiet.There's always a price to pay for not being bothered about understanding what role the different timings play and are capable of on different ground conditions,as well as on different size targets.

Cheers kon61.

kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  extreme Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:48 am

Wow......

That was my first post and hope everyones blood pressure has decreased somewhat.

They were all great insights, for and against, and I thank all of you for your inputs.

This question was not meant to rattle the cage, it was genuine as there are a few options out there for newbies like me.

Again thank you, and will let you know how my modded extreme goes over xmas..

Mr Ex.

extreme
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:34 am

extreme wrote:Again thank you, and will let you know how my modded extreme goes over xmas..
Mr Ex.

Welcome to the brotherhood Mr Ex.

Yes topics along this line always seem to invite lots of opinions. Its been relatively civil with plenty of feedback for you.

The main thing is to get out to the goldfields and get to know your detector...modded or not

Good luck Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:29 am

MS wrote:
Hi QLD Sandy
I don't think any fair comparison can be made between a old modded 2000 to any of the newer units, of course any of the last 4 models will beat it hands down, those old units are only useful for DD coil use and large deeper gold Exclamation
Mods allow quieter operation with mono coils and seem to shine on the 3000/3500 platform
Mark

Hi Mark,
I drew that comparison as I see a lot of comments about how modded 2000's are THE machine to mod and from my experience with the machines I've used and tested, well ------. The 2000 was never a good machine on smaller bits in standard form but was good on deeper gold. One lot of testing with a modded 2000, a 3500 and a 4000 never saw the 2000 even get close to the other 2 detectors for depth on any of the gold we used from 1 gram up to 11 ounces.

I often read inflated claims on how a GP machine can be made into a 4500 for example. This is rubbish as the earlier machine does not have the special timings for a start, and I doubt that the modders would know how these work, let alone have the programming or the means to implement it. If the GP's can be made to perform better then fine, but the owner needs to be fully aware that he will own the machine for life unless he can sell it privately or give it away. For the cost of the mods (I believe it is around $600) it might be worth investigating upgrading to a newer machine (not necessarily a NEW one as funds permit) that can be traded in later years.

I build and drive Hotrods so I am not against mods as you don't get much more modded than these vehicles. For the most part these cars perform better in some situations but you don't make a 1934 Ford into a 2010 Ford by modding it. The choice is ultimately up to the detectors owner and as long as he is aware of the pros and cons, then so be it.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tomahawk1 Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Quote " Hi ya Mrss NErO
SOrry ol boy to upset you... u must be a 5000 promoter or something.... no loss in Depth .. my unit still maintains its superb depth and has a huge increase on small gold .. and yes has been proven on the field against 4500 several months ago. I was following in my mates foot steps and picking up the bits he missed .. Oh yes was quite supriesed myself and he had a bit of a chuckle.
These are not outrageous claims but pure fact and I am not in the bussiness to sell mods as am just a humble Tech who's upgraded his old 2000. There are even 2000 units out there with micros installed ... broaden your views fellows as there is more than one way to mod.
TIS goodbye fm me ... 73's all n 88's if ur ladies
cheers all ..
TOMAHAWK1 Unquote "

I think this debate has gone for long enough and think we should agree to disagree..
( I bet thats been said before) as there will always be 2 thoughts.. and some of you

non - techo - ML supporters ( paid or not ) are standing rock solid on your opinion

.... and I will stick to my guns or gun in my case and it is a big one being the

SD2000 FULLY MODDED. There be too many wanta be Techs out there whom think they knows it all

He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still
Ching Wun Liang Di FU

DE TOMAHAWK AR

tomahawk1
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Mr Tomahawk
When you start to use terms like "proven" we know that you have little experience in the field.This is simply not possible in the real world under all conditions.This conclusion is very narrow minded as with the correlation between Techo and ML.Many of the detectorists here are qualified technicians as myself in the industry for 30 years and are open minded.This is insulting to educated and experienced people.
This column asked specifically for each persons personal view about mods to enable an objective decision to be made from peoples experiences.We all learn from this forum to gain a better understanding of our hobby.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  tomahawk1 Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:05 pm

MR Steve
Experience in the field as prospector 30 years as tech 40.
These are my views

tomahawk1
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-10-29

Back to top Go down

To mod or not to mod... - Page 2 Empty To Mod or Not to Mod

Post  cranky Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:18 pm

I beleive that to have a modification to a world class detector is the decision of the owner, there is the consideration that once the mod has been carried out the machine has effectively become unsaleable.

If the cost can be justified, with regard to the potential devaluation of the machine, then go for it if it makes you feel better.

I run a GP Extreme runs sweet, finds the smallest pieces of rusty wire that I spend a lot of time sorting out from the dirt in my hand and back of the coil. I have modded my machine by spending $11.50 at Leading Edge Electronics for a couple of momentary push button switches a metre or so of shielded cable and a couple each of mini phone plugs and sockets. Did my own conversion to the handle mounted tracking/fixed option, great stuff no longer assume yoga poses to sort out ground balance the old way, now just press, pump, and get on with the job.

Now, I am no detector technician and this gives rise to the question of those subscribers to this forum a number describe themselves as "Techs" but not in what field....."Tech" is an abbreviation of "Technician" which can apply to many fields e.g I am an Automotive Technician....There are Dental Technicians, Avionic Technicians, and so on adinfinitum.

Could contributors validate their claims / statements by identifying in which field of endeavour they are a "Tech" whereupon we readers can give credence to their comment...would be most helpfull.

Thanks Cranky

P.S. before you ask, I bought double of everything for the mod because I live 75kms from the shop (150km round trip) and I am honest enough to admit I might just stuff something up, I'm good but not infallible!!!
Incidentally I only used half the stuff. gave the rest to a South African visitor who I spent some time with in the Golden Triangle, to mod his GP extreme when he got home.

Last edited by cranky on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected spelling..well the one I spotted anway)
cranky
cranky
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2010-07-13

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum