OFF TOPIC. Toxic Atmosphere Over Australia.

Go down

OFF TOPIC. Toxic Atmosphere Over Australia. Empty OFF TOPIC. Toxic Atmosphere Over Australia.

Post  adrian ss on Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:36 am

Here in the ACT Canberra we are being told that our air pollution levels are 10 times the safe level.
My Air Quality instrument which measures the level of airborne CO2, Formaldehyde and some other poisonous gasses has not shown anything dangerous during  the past three days. Maybe my instrument is out of cal but I doubt it.

We are also being told that Australia has the worst atmospheric pollution levels in the world.
I think you will find that those estimates are based on per head of population. Well I guess if you jam packed all of our population and pollution into a tight bundle then you may be correct, but the fact is that our population and industrial areas is small, spread far and wide and the pollution is spread over the entire country. If that is taken into consideration then you would be hard pressed to even read our over all pollution levels compared to the likes of China and India, America.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

OFF TOPIC. Toxic Atmosphere Over Australia. Empty Re: OFF TOPIC. Toxic Atmosphere Over Australia.

Post  Travelergold on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 am

Adrian, my take is that the forrest fire smoke would be no where near as dangerous as the china city fumes smoke by a long shot. It is only the houses that have burnt and tyres ect that would be the real toxic part of polution.
Yes visibility is poor, but in a dust storm the air could be just as bad as forrest smoke. Just my thoughts.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

OFF TOPIC. Toxic Atmosphere Over Australia. Empty Re: OFF TOPIC. Toxic Atmosphere Over Australia.

Post  adrian ss on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:11 pm

My eyes have been a bit itchy during the heavy pollution levels that Canberra has experienced but that is all. No coughing fits or skin reactions. I could actually taste it for a few days and my smoke alarms went of once.
I was told by our chemist that there were some toxic gasses mixed up with the smoke in our area. The air was a bit thick for a couple of days when visibility out of my front room window was down to approx 1/4 klm.
When I wiped our wall hung photo's and paintings down the other day they were definitely covered in a dark fine deposit from the smoke.
We did buy some masks but have not  used them yet. Too late now I guess. Lungs will already be black. pale

adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:42 am

So everybody has been waiting for rain and the BOM reckoned that Canberra would receive 2.5 mm rain on the 16 Jan.
My back yard received 24 mm in as many minutes that day not including the hail. Short and sweet, but at least some rain did fall in the fire zones
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:30 am

Here is some interesting info (If true and accurate) will be of interest to the climate change and global warming advocates.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/CarbonCycle/page5.php

Another interesting point of interest.

Water vapour and clouds account for 66 to 85 percent of the greenhouse effect, compared to a range of 9 to 26 percent for CO2.

Last edited by adrian ss on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:31 am

A very interesting article Adrain and well presented
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum