Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPZ 7000 Manual Ground Balance

+7
hookey13
gold-fever
joe82
Nightjar
Kon61gold
peterinaust
norvic
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

GPZ 7000 Manual Ground Balance - Page 2 Empty Re: GPZ 7000 Manual Ground Balance

Post  norvic Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:10 pm

JP for me the glory days of the VLFs, were replaced by the glory days of the PIs, now the glory days of ZVT, in amongst that was the aftermarket coil manufacturers who added to the PIs glory now to the ZVT glory, get up to pace young fella and go with the flow, nit pickings for the knitters, (that`s the 2nd patch I`ve put you on(send me a Z8000 for gratitude)) the X coils have added to ZVTs glory as NF, Coiltek etc added to PIs glory. Manual GB is as relevant today as it was in 85 when ML gave us the 1600, and no don`t assume, when patch hunting I prefer a quieter machine still but patch cleaning up, Bogenes, Insane anything goes with Manual GB/coil control reigning.

This threads not about X coil but about modes of GBing, tis my thread if you wish to debate the X coils start another thread but really the X coils have proven themselves to me, thus I have no further wish to participate in a X coil debate.

Last edited by norvic on Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo my bad, put DVT instead of ZVT)

norvic
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

GPZ 7000 Manual Ground Balance - Page 2 Empty Re: GPZ 7000 Manual Ground Balance

Post  Nightjar Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:53 pm

I'm here to improve my knowledge on how to get the very best out of the GPZ. If manual GB is going to help I'm going to be trying. Thank you Norvic for bringing it to our attention.
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:29 am

Hi Nightjar, tis a magic detector the GPZ, and suspect we`ll be discovering new ways of using it for as long as its life is, like the GPXs, so many settings to adjust to handle the different soils and conditions we detect in. GBing being just one mode, with Auto, Semi and Manual there at our fingertips. At present I have my User button set to GBing as currently those 3 adjustments are my most used. A many year trial and error journey that is so enjoyable with each new detector technology brings us.

Vic

norvic
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Nightjar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:08 am

joe82 wrote:is this a pump balance or a side to side balance in manual mode

Hi joe82, Just going through this thread again, I`d missed this query of yours originally. It is just a pump up and down with the QT button pressed in Fixed GB, no need to use Auto GB, Semiauto GB or ferrite at all when using this method of Fixed GBing, is the same way a lot of us used the PIs that had auto tracking. Takes time to get the hang of but once you`ve started to get those deep ones that have been missed you`ll be hooked and will add it to your GPZ "get gold" methods you`ve found successful before.

norvic
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Nightjar and joe82 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparrowfart Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:36 am

Hi all, I'm not as experienced with the Z as some, but it seems to me that ML could put out an update that would lock out the X-ferrite ballance when the GB is set to manual. this would allow ferrite ballance to be set first etc. Could be worth a look for ML.
Sparrowfart
Sparrowfart
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 am

Ok cool does the ferrite balance need to be done at the start of a detecting session and then change to fixed GB or just change to fixed on start up

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:38 pm

Although the 7000 keeps in  storage/memory, the settings that were last used with a particular size/shape coil before switching off the detector, but, it is always safe to check up on ground balance using the ferite upon each start up.
Whether the ground balancing procedure is first done in auto balance, then switched over to manual ground balance mode matters not, for the ferrite once ground balanced over in auto or manual mode, remains ground balanced to the coil.
What is not stored in memory after doing a ferrite ground balance, is the constant changing of ground mineralization from one section of ground to the next, necessitating the use of the auto ground track/balance procedure more often when in manual ground balance mode, so as to compensate for the change in ground mineralization.
It is recommended via the GPZ's instruction manual (& although not always necessary), to do a "Noise Cancel" as well as "Quick Track" upon each change of Gold Mode, or when changing from one "Ground Type" setting to the next.
All this is done in order to make sure ones detector/coil combo, is running at peak performance upon initial start up, before proceeding to detect within any designated area/locality.

Cheers Kon.  T25

Last edited by Kon61gold on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4504
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  norvic Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:10 pm

For me just start in manual GB, ferrite balance to me is a waste of time, the Z is an easy to use machine. I just pump it up and down a number of times with the QT button pressed when it is "out" contrary to it being different from PIs, VLFs re ground balancing as ML suggests in the Zs manual. Noise cancel will be needed at times, but you will know these times because the Zs threshold is unstable with coil held off the ground and still, same as we found with the PIs. To get the hang of manual GBing set volume at 8 or below. KISS;)

norvic
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

GPZ 7000 Manual Ground Balance - Page 2 Empty Confused with Ground Balance Semi Auto

Post  maurifree Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:46 am

Hi all, Can someone please explain how semi auto ground balance works best and when this should be used? As far as I am able to determine the semi auto mode stores the ferrite info and then when you press the trigger manually you only set the ground balance and the ferrite iron setting remains in place. Is this correct? If so why does the screen indicate each time that I press the trigger in semi auto that it requires the ferrite again. Totally confused.
maurifree
maurifree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2018-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  maurifree Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:20 pm

davsgold wrote:
maurifree wrote:Hi all, Can someone please explain how semi auto ground balance works best and when this should be used? As far as I am able to determine the semi auto mode stores the ferrite info and then when you press the trigger manually you only set the ground balance and the ferrite iron setting remains in place. Is this correct? If so why does the screen indicate each time that I press the trigger in semi auto that it requires the ferrite again. Totally confused.

Once doing the proper ferrite GB in semi auto the ferrite is locked, that part of what your saying is correct

If you again use the quick track button this will remove the remembered ferrite from memory and needs to be done again.

When detecting in semi auto and you have the locked the ferrite in memory don't use the quick track button again, just raise and lower (pump up and down) to get the normal GB and if going over variable type ground just raise the coil a bit (few inches) and if it needs a normal GB jus t pump up and down and keep detecting.

The 7000 has two types of GB, one is "X" and this is the ferrite, and "G" and this is the normal type GB just like a 4500 or 5000 etc

In full Auto the 7000 is looking for both X and G all the time, in semi auto once ferrite is locked the 7000 is only looking for G and in Manual once ferrite and normal GB is done the 7000 is not looking for neither and if the ground is fairly constant and not variable just keep detecting.

There are three ways to use the GB on a 7000 and they all need different methods to get the best results.

cheers dave

Hi Dave, Thanks for the detailed explanation. I now understand a bit more. You obviously have much experience with this machine so can you clarify a few more points.

1. If I use Auto GB it asks for the ferrite and then goes on to constantly balance both the X and G variables. I presume this then invalidates the X ferrite initial settings and so I don't understand why you need to use the ferrite in the first place for Auto GB mode.

2. In the Semi Auto mode the ferrite X is locked in. I then assume that the G variable is constantly adjusting to the ground conditions simply by sweeping the coil across the surface. So the need to pump it is just where the ground conditions change rapidly or for a small area. Is this correct?

3. When I sweep over the ferrite some people say use a figure 8, others say to sweep and momentarily stop on top of the ferrite as per the animation on the screen, and others say to just sweep across the ferrite just keeping the coil as low as possible without touching the ferrite. Which is the best method or are they much the same? Also when the detector has given a tick of approval on the ferrite sweep and I have released the trigger should there be any noise when sweeping over the ferrite or should this be silent?

Also just for interest what is your preferred GB mode for detecting? Auto, semi auto or manual.

Thanks so much for this assistance. Much appreciated.
Maurice
maurifree
maurifree
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Dozer Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:40 pm

maurifree,

Norvic posted this earlier in the thread and explains how to turn off those annoying prompts.

No dumb-A*s* question Joe82, I got pissed off with those time wasting notifications a fair while back and JP put me on track, initially I`d found the "off-switch" but then after an upgrade, it reset to them on and having a senior moment I`d forgotten how I`d originally done it. Go into Preferences in the Menu, you`ll see one marked Guides, just turn it off, it is on by default. Page 30 in data manual I have for the Z. Like any change one makes to settings Manual GB takes awhile to get the hang of, but it is worth it. Just a note it is not the be all nor end all of the settings one can set the Z to, is another mode that can get you more gold at times and just adds to our understanding of the power of the Z.
Have Fun
Vic

Hope that helps as it certainly made my life a lot easier. I get pissed off with all the prompts at the self checkout @ the supermarket, so I don't need my detector annoying me when i am supposed to be relaxing!!

Dozer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:59 pm

cheers

Last edited by davsgold on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  maurifree Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:48 pm

davsgold wrote:
maurifree wrote:

Hi Dave, Thanks for the detailed explanation. I now understand a bit more. You obviously have much experience with this machine so can you clarify a few more points.

1. If I use Auto GB it asks for the ferrite and then goes on to constantly balance both the X and G variables. I presume this then invalidates the X ferrite initial settings and so I don't understand why you need to use the ferrite in the first place for Auto GB mode.

2. In the Semi Auto mode the ferrite X is locked in. I then assume that the G variable is constantly adjusting to the ground conditions simply by sweeping the coil across the surface. So the need to pump it is just where the ground conditions change rapidly or for a small area. Is this correct?

3. When I sweep over the ferrite some people say use a figure 8, others say to sweep and momentarily stop on top of the ferrite as per the animation on the screen, and others say to just sweep across the ferrite just keeping the coil as low as possible without touching the ferrite. Which is the best method or are they much the same? Also when the detector has given a tick of approval on the ferrite sweep and I have released the trigger should there be any noise when sweeping over the ferrite or should this be silent?

Also just for interest what is your preferred GB mode for detecting? Auto, semi auto or manual.  

Thanks so much for this assistance. Much appreciated.
Maurice

1. Yes, to the first part of the question when sweeping across the ferrite or the figure 8 which ever suits you, when the detector is settled and not giving a signal to the ferrite this part is achieved, let the quick track button go and moving away from the ferrite pump the coil up and down, this gets the 2nd part of the GB organized, and without using the quick track button just give the coil a sweep back over the ferrite and if all quiet go detecting.  You may need to re do this from time to time during the day if you are going to detect using Auto GB.

2. Yes to the first part of your question and also Yes to the 2nd part as well.

3. Yes either the figure 8 or sideways sweep, both ways just an 1" or 2" above the ferrite.  No need to keep going till you get the green tick, when it is quiet just let the quick track button go move over to the side away from the ferrite and pump the coil up and down and you should have a good GB, if not just repeat all the steps.  And yes the detector should be not giving any signal to the ferrite or to the ground near by.

And to answer the last part, no I don't use Auto GB, I much prefer semi Auto GB or manual GB if the ground is not to variable.

A couple of other settings are Threshold 27, Ground smoothing OFF, and in most cases I run in Difficult/High Yield, and on the very odd occasion normal/high yield.

And yes like Dozer says above you can turn all the prompts off if they are getting annoying, I know I have them turned off.

cheers dave

Thanks much appreciate this advice. Good hunting.
maurifree
maurifree
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2