Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tibooburra

3 posters

Go down

Tibooburra  Empty Tibooburra

Post  Janelle Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi, Iam only new to gold detecting , I have purchased a SDC2300 and thinking I might head out to Tibooburra in May when it is cooler , I was just wondering if any one has been out this way at all and give me some information on where to stay . Is it worth going out there ??? I have an off road caravan and I’m self sufficient off the grid or do I need to stay in town . . I’m not out to make a fortune , just want to play around and enjoy some quite time . Thanks Janelle

Janelle
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-02-16

Back to top Go down

Tibooburra  Empty Re: Tibooburra

Post  Guest Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:14 pm

Janelle wrote:Hi, Iam only new to gold detecting , I have purchased a SDC2300 and thinking I might head out to Tibooburra in May when it is cooler , I was just wondering if any one has been out this way at all and give me some information on where to stay . Is it worth going out there ??? I have an off road caravan and I’m self sufficient off the grid or do I need to stay in town . . I’m not out to make a fortune , just want to play around and enjoy some quite time . Thanks Janelle

G'day Janelle

May,June and July are all good months to get out and around Tibooburra, we have been there a few times and the SDC2300 is a good machine for there.

It is mostly pay to detect on the pastoral leases out there check the prices but I think it may be like $15 per day plus extra if you want to camp on the lease. I think one of the pubs looks after the bookings for the pay to detect properties? plenty of others go out there and may add plenty more info.

The Tibooburra town common is I think $10 per month to detect and no camping on it at all, you will need to stay at the van park in town.

As you can imagine, fuel and food etc is fairly dear. It is a great place to go for a detecting holiday and we certainly enjoy it out there.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:17 pm

AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Tibooburra  Empty Thank you for that information Dave , looking forward to exploring out that way . Cheers Janelle

Post  Janelle Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:11 pm

davsgold wrote:
Janelle wrote:Hi, Iam only new to gold detecting , I have purchased a SDC2300 and thinking I might head out to Tibooburra in May when it is cooler , I was just wondering if any one has been out this way at all and give me some information on where to stay . Is it worth going out there ??? I have an off road caravan and I’m self sufficient off the grid or do I need to stay in town . . I’m not out to make a fortune , just want to play around and enjoy some quite time . Thanks Janelle

G'day Janelle

May,June and July are all good months to get out and around Tibooburra, we have been there a few times and the SDC2300 is a good machine for there.

It is mostly pay to detect on the pastoral leases out there check the prices but I think it may be like $15 per day plus extra if you want to camp on the lease.  I think one of the pubs looks after the bookings for the pay to detect properties? plenty of others go out there and may add plenty more info.

The Tibooburra town common is I think $10 per month to detect and no camping on it at all, you will need to stay at the van park in town.

As you can imagine, fuel and food etc is fairly dear.  It is a great place to go for a detecting holiday and we certainly enjoy it out there.

cheers dave

Janelle
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:54 pm

Hi Janelle

There are a few places to stay. In town, for convenience of showers and pubs etc, or on either station (you might have to have a drive around for a place that fancies you) and two other campgrounds, one is the aboriginal reserve campground north of town and the other is Dead Horse Gully Campground in the Sturt NP. They have different levels of facilities so do a google and have a look yourself. I've not stayed in Dead Horse Gully but it has toilets, no power. I think the aboriginal reserve is similar. Out on the stations you do need to be totally self-sufficient.

We have gone to Tib 3 times now with modest success (nothing like Granite2/Jim!) and have stayed in town for a couple of days each side of going out to the stations for longer periods. Love it. I've not seen domestic turned feral animals nor dingoes (though that does not mean they aren't there of course). If you go to Gumvale beware of towing your van up Warrata creek. While it is quite doable (we've done it with a 2.6t 21footer (nose to tail) with a LC200), height and soft ground is something to beware of. I've heard stories of people spending a day digging their van out. There are other ways to get to where you might want to camp near the creek. Mt Stuart has lots of places you can camp.

Enjoy!
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Janelle Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Thankyou for all that information .
Cheers Janelle