Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X-Coils 10X9 inch Performance

+6
AraratGold
madmax800
moredeep
Travelergold
deutran
Kon61gold
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

X-Coils  10X9 inch Performance - Page 2 Empty Re: X-Coils 10X9 inch Performance

Post  Guest Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:08 am

Thanks toptigin, for the info on the x-coils for the GPX detectors. Very Happy

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  CDave Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Thank you Kon for sharing your 10x9 experience. And for putting numbers in your review, I like numbers. Your enthusiasm for this little coil is obvious and seems justified.

Your numbers on the 0.06g piece seemed exceptional. So I looked up my SDC results... and I had tested a flat 0.06g piece – 45 to 60mm, only about 50% of depth you are getting, impressive!! I would like to see more results.

Your review reminded me of the good finds when the SDC 2300 was first taken to the goldfields, great days! Could this coil recreate that, I am wondering, in hope!

Do you have more info on how the 10x9 compares to the SDC 2300 on nuggets less than 0.3g? Has an SDC 2300 been thrown into the back of a ute after a shootout with the 10x9? Smile  

Weight & Durability:
You weighed the 10x9 at 1.11Kg. That seemed heavy, so I weighed my GPZ 14 with lower shaft - 1.376Kg. Lower shaft – 0.135Kg.
This gives the weight of the 10x9 at 81% of the GPZ 14 – not a lightweight!
The area of the 10x9 coil is 50% that of the GPZ 14.
Combining the above, ignoring the cable weight, gives the 10x9 a much greater weight per unit area. This is all good! This should help durability. Something to worry about if it was lightweight coil. Maybe it is an example of solid stereotypical Russian engineering Smile , a good thing as coils, all too soon, become noisy as the wires loosen from knocks...

more numbers for your gold pot
dave

CDave
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2016-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Good observation there Dave. If the little 10x9 were any lighter, I doubt it would function properly due to the lack of coil wire winding/weight. I more than stand by my observations/findings, but only over time/coil use, will tell, if the coil windings become loose, creating a touch sensitive/noisy coil. This is where Minelab with both their 14x13 & 19 inch, have succeeded & excelled in. To this day the 14X13 GPZ coil works flawlessly (as good as the day I first used it).
As for the SDC 2300, I can assure all, it has its place (being lighter in weight, much more portable to transport & handles mineralized ground with ease), but is no match for the raw output power, given out through the GPZ 7000 coupled to a smaller coil made to suit.
The SDC might be specifically designed to pick up sub gram gold over/in mineralized ground (and I mean the tiniest of bits 0.03gm) using an 8 inch round coil, but not at the depths that this new small aftermarket coil can achieve/do on the GPZ.
I dare say it, but if Minelab were to produce the same size 10x9 coil with their solid configured wind pattern (less being lighter/more portable/transportable in weight), there'd be little need for the SDC 2300, for it simply cannot/will not match, the depth capabilities on/over sub-gram gold, as that of a smaller coil made specifically to suit the GPZ 7000.
BTW, you got me thinking here, so I pulled out the 5kg scale & reweighed the GPZ 14X13 inch DD coil, together with lower shaft connected & it weighed in at 1500gms or 1.5 kg. reason being, I now use the heavy duty, aftermarket, skid plate, made by Minor Johns USA.  Bottom lower GPZ shaft alone (including washers/nuts etc) weighed in at a total of 136 grams.

Cheers Kon.  T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4504
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  CDave Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks again Kon,

That is what I expected, and glad to see it spelt out for me! Complete agreement regarding the SDC too!

You have done well with your GPZ 14 coil. Minelab replaced my original SDC 2300 and GPZ 14 coils, when they became noisy, under warrantee and without argument. All very pleasing. Same with a Nugget Finder coil too, when they eventually tested it. Disappointing tho’ as I treat all my coils with care.

Your 136g cw my 135g is effectively the same - our scales agree. Your HD skid plate is adding 9% to the coil weight and that could be a good investment in protecting the coil's internals from shock. I notice JP uses (and so do I now) a thin layer of foam between coil and skid plate. This could be a cheap effective lightweight alternative. This does not protect from bumps to the side. I've tried foam and it does not last as it has to be on the outside. An external bead of soft elastomer should be better. Next time in Bunnings...

all the best
dave

CDave
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2016-11-18

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2