Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

APLA or EGPA

+2
Detectist
PeterInSa
6 posters

Go down

APLA or EGPA Empty APLA or EGPA

Post  PeterInSa Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:30 pm

I have yet to renew my/SWMBO membership of the APLA.

I joined the APLA in the past for the Insurance cover, just in case I or a member of the small group I detect with caused some type of problem with a financial impact. Living in SA, we would could not go to any meetings or outings, and even if they occurred when we were in WA, most likely would not attend.
The other reason for joining the APLA that we have never taken up is to detect on leases ( with lease holders approval) that APLA has organised.

I am now getting emails from EGPA ie the Eastern Goldfields Prospectors Association that to me I have never been involved with before, although I have spoken to an office bearer(but as a lease holder) about detecting a couple of years ago.

My question is, we prospect in the Eastern Goldfields area, would like the insurance cover and the potential to detect on the Associations/Leaseholders leases, but more than likely we will find our own, so which organisation should I/SWMBO sign up with.

I do not wish my query to generate negative comments about either organisation, so would appreciate a PM on Which/Why you joined the APLA/EGPA.

Thanks

Peter

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

APLA or EGPA Empty Re: APLA or EGPA

Post  Guest Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:01 pm

PeterInSa wrote:I have yet to renew my/SWMBO membership of the APLA.

I joined the APLA in the past for the Insurance cover, just in case I or a member of the small group I detect with caused some type of problem with a financial impact. Living in SA, we would could not go to any meetings or outings, and even if they occurred when we were in WA, most likely would not attend.
The other reason for joining the APLA that we have never taken up is to detect on leases ( with lease holders approval) that APLA has organised.

I am now getting emails from EGPA ie the Eastern Goldfields Prospectors Association that to me I have never been involved with before, although I have spoken to an office bearer(but as a lease holder) about detecting a couple of years ago.

My question is, we prospect in the Eastern Goldfields area, would like the insurance cover and the potential to detect on the Associations/Leaseholders leases, but more than likely we will find our own, so which organisation should I/SWMBO sign up with.

I do not wish my query to generate negative comments about either organisation, so would appreciate a PM on Which/Why you joined the APLA/EGPA.

Thanks

Peter

G'day Peter

We also had the same, and Veronica (my wife) sorted it all out.  This is what has happened APLA is the main body and the EGPA used to be a branch of APLA, but the government has changed the rules for associations like this between groups of organizations.

So in the end the EGPA decided they wanted to go it alone and break away from the main APLA body which is there right I guess, but from our point of view it didn't suit us at all because now if you want to be a member of APLA you pay you membership fee and if you want to be part of EGPA you have to pay their membership fee also.

So APLA main body has started a replacement group for the used to be EGPA now called  Goldfields.

So if you pay your normal yearly APLA membership you automatically will be added to the new Goldfields branch.

If you don't remove yourself from the EGPA mailing list you will continue to receive emails,which is ok once you understand what is happening.

We chose to stay with APLA and the new Goldfields branch simply because it is strength in numbers and also the APLA insurance policy etc and APLA is well recognized among the mining companys to help get access to their tenements.

Hope this helps with your decision

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:07 pm

I may be wrong but I also thought that the EGPA may be more for the more serious gold extraction people ie a bit more heavy duty than metal detectorists or occasional scraper.
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:01 am

The December release of the APLA news letter explains the new branch.
Further to Daves above post.

APLA or EGPA APLA-new-branch
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

APLA or EGPA Empty APLA or EGPA?

Post  DestoDesperate Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 pm

I have entered into Prospectors Agreements with ASX listed mining companies to get access to their (WA) detecting areas. In the past they tended to specify APLA membership as a condition of being granted access. Prospectors seeking to enter into new such agreements would be well advised to enquire whether EGPA membership (alone) will suffice. I have rejoined APLA before I realised that EGPA was going solo. I am loathe to pay for both, separately and wonder whether enough APLA members might be encouraged to join EGPA simply to vote through a merger. Fragmentation of representation or claims at representation from TWO sources only serves to weaken the prospectors' voice. United we stand.....
Desto.

DestoDesperate

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post  tony p Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 am

stick with APLA is the short answer...EGPA is only for full time prospectors and leaseholders.

tony p
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2018-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  gregjb Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:33 pm

tony p wrote:stick with APLA is the short answer...EGPA is only for full time prospectors and leaseholders.

Yeah stick with APLA if your not a leaseholder or fulltime, I mistakenly joined EGPA thinking it was just the APLA branch still.

gregjb
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-03-10

Back to top Go down