Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel Lug nuts PX Ford Ranger

Go down

Wheel Lug nuts PX Ford Ranger Empty Wheel Lug nuts PX Ford Ranger

Post  Guest Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi Team,
Have a Ford PX Ranger, went to change a flat tyre out in the bush only to find the supplied equipment (and my backup [commercial] metric deep sockets) no longer fitted the tyre lug nuts. I ended up using an axillary heavy duty air compressor to keep pumping up the tyre until I arrived back at the nearest town (P.S. I could not find where the puncture was else I would have used a tyre plug!). Eventually, the tyre was changed at the nearest town – they had to belt the socket on each tyre lug using a large heavy gauge club hammer.
Apparently it can be a problem (often poorly reported) – the capping on the tyre lug nuts may delaminate from the base and expand/dent/round even after a few tyre changes/over time. I have since changed mine to (non-Ford) solid lug nuts for a one off total of $65 (the equivalent Ford price $576 + the potential for ongoing replacements). If you are travelling in remote areas – solid tyre lug nuts could be one of your off-road considerations.
Cheers De

Back to top Go down

Wheel Lug nuts PX Ford Ranger Empty Re: Wheel Lug nuts PX Ford Ranger

Post  Guest Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:49 am

And slightly related ; well, in the same area, anyway ; in W.A. this year I staked a tyre on the 200 Cruiser, loosened the wheel nuts, jacked up the car, and the wheel wouldn't budge no matter how hard I belted the flat tyre with a 4-pound hammer. Put the wheel nuts back on loosely, lowered the vehicle and tried to loosen the wheel by turning the steering to no avail. Sprayed WD40/CRC/RP7 over the hub/wheel studs, jacked car up again, and after a LOT of effort was able to break the seal between the wheel and hub by using an hydraulic jack horizontally between the chassis rail and a jacking plate held vertically against the inside of the flat tyre, whist belting the tyre every which way with the 4-pounder.

This necessitated cold refreshments.  Q11

On having the vehicle serviced at Newman Toyota soon after, they reckoned it's a fairly common problem on 79 series Cruisers, less so on the 200s, and is caused by the good old W.A. dust getting between wheel bore and hub spigot. Moral - take a second jack. It was HARD work, took over an hour with one worker and two "foremen".

Back to top Go down