Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life of batteries

5 posters

Go down

Life of batteries Empty Life of batteries

Post  slimpickens Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi all, I always get nervous  about the condition of the batteries in my Garmin Etrex. I'm really bad at checking these kind of things.
So I thought, maybe I'll just get some batteries that have a really long life and I won't have to worry about them for a long while.

10 years isn't bad
Life of batteries Img_6910

Then I found these
Life of batteries Img_6911

They should keep me out of trouble.
Life of batteries Img_6912

Have you seen any batteries with a longer life than these?
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Life of batteries Empty Re: Life of batteries

Post  Kon61gold Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:18 pm

Yes Slim. Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA, hold power up to 20 years, but leaving batteries in any electrical device for prolonged periods of time without use, could cause battery leakage to terminals destroying what ever battery operated guismo you've got.

Cheers Kon. T25

Last edited by Kon61gold on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : poor eyesight)
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4504
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Pebbles Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 am

For a lot of us, choosing disposables batteries can be a bit of a dilemma, particularly when they are for such an essential device as our GPS.

Choice has done a review (April 2016) of disposable AA batteries. In this review, the Energiser Ultimate Lithium AA batteries were the number 1 recommendation with the Kogan Lithium AA batteries coming a fairly close second. The Kogans are better value for money than the Energises.

The Choice testing protocol can be found here:
https://www.choice.com.au/electronics-and-technology/cameras/camera-accessories/articles/how-we-test-batteries

Sadly, Slim, the Energiser eco advanced batteries weren’t recommended and came way down on their list!

Regardless of what brand of battery that we choose, I believe that it is essential to carry spare sets for the GPS and two way.

Col

Pebbles
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2010-06-04

Back to top Go down

Life of batteries Empty Re. Life of batteries......

Post  sandy2010 Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Another option.......carry a small 6 volt rechargeable battery in your backpack which (with a bit of "fiddling") you can connect direct to your "gismo" (via a male/female plug setup) if it is
6v or if it is 3v gear it down.

Be lucky.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:10 pm

I just use rechargeables in the e-trex,you can select the type your using in the menu.I keep a few spares charged up as well.I'm currently using Ni-Mh 3Ah.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Life of batteries Empty Re. Life of batteries......

Post  sandy2010 Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:41 pm

I used to use Rechargeable 1.5 v batts Deutran but they only put out 1.2 v, they also had a shorter duration .........maybe things have changed ?

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:35 pm

The e-trex is designed for different battery voltage when the type is selected.The life of the ones I use are 3Ah. Energizer Lithium 2.8Ah.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down