Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SDC 2300 Lexan skid plate

4 posters

Go down

SDC 2300 Lexan skid plate Empty SDC 2300 Lexan skid plate

Post  Travelergold Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:38 pm

There was some talk a while ago about lexan skid plates.  This is asking about ways to make a skid plate that will last and fit coil snuggly.
Can lexan be heated like acrylic sheet and then moulded in a mould.   I am thinking of cutting a circle out of some timber then reducing the out cut slightly, heating lexan and laying over the timber and pressing cut out into the mould using clamps. Doing it this way I would hope that it could then slip onto the coil like a normal skid plate. I would have a section also moulded which would protect the base of knuckle as that cops a flogging as well incorporated in cover like jen and mike did with the comander coil.

''So this is what Mike did for me..
He had a 8 inch spare skid plate. One thats for the commander coil.
Mike cut part of it, used heat to make the bend, for at the knuckle part of the sdc2300.
Put it on my sdc2300 coil, no need for tape.. Fitted perfectly''

Has anybody tried to do the same?

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

SDC 2300 Lexan skid plate Empty Re: SDC 2300 Lexan skid plate

Post  koeh Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:26 pm

I have been making my own skid plates for years from polycarbonate,I have made ones for 8” & 11” minelab,14x7 NFA,14” spoked NFA,12” EVO solid 15” spoked EVO and my SDC, havent made one yet for the 19” EVO spoked, my sdc  skid plate lasted well over a year with hundreds of hours use,the standard 8” minelab  skid plate I wore out in a month whereas the ones I make last over a year,don’t go any thicker than 2mm as it is too hard to work, I always wanted to mass produce them but where I live makes it a little hard.

The only thing is that they last that long, when you have to make the next one it takes a little bit to get your technique back

Mine fit that good that like you said they don’t need tape and they can be a pain to get back off they fit that good, you need to work them off, I would be lucky to clean under my skid plate once a year, but mind you I wave my hand under the coil and not over like most people do
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

SDC 2300 Lexan skid plate Empty lexan skid plate

Post  xmas tree Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:02 am

Hi Koeh. Is there any chance you could post a photo of your skid plate? Where can i buy polycarbonate to do the job?

xmas tree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2016-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 am

xmas tree wrote:Hi Koeh. Is there any chance you could post a photo of your skid plate? Where can i buy polycarbonate to do the job?

G’day Xmas tree,

We have seen the polycarbonate in Bunnings, they are about 1mt square sheets by memory.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

SDC 2300 Lexan skid plate Empty lexan skid plate

Post  xmas tree Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks Mike . I'll check it out next week

xmas tree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2016-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:09 pm

Mike54 wrote:
We have seen the polycarbonate in Bunnings, they are about 1mt square sheets by memory.  

Cheers.

Mike.  

Mike,
Now I know why my gold tally isn't up with the best.Suspect
The only skid plate ever replaced is the one I lost off my SD2100 while bush bashing on the motorbike decades ago Very Happy
Have tried scruffing the ground but soon got sick of that because of the noise from smacking rocks.
Did buy a knuckle protector for Carols 2300.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:11 pm

Nightjar wrote:
Mike54 wrote:

Cheers.

Mike.  

Mike,
Now I know why my gold tally isn't up with the best.Suspect
The only skid plate ever replaced is the one I lost off my SD2100 while bush bashing on the motorbike decades ago Very Happy
Have tried scruffing the ground but soon got sick of that because of the noise from smacking rocks.
Did buy a knuckle protector for Carols 2300.

G’day Pete,

Jen only wore 2 x HEAVY DUTY ones out this year.   (She does use it as a walking stick though).   lol!   lol!

Q41    

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Q28 Mike Q34

Hi nightjar
Hehehe. Yep I kill my skid plates. But hey my detector holds me up. Laughing
The closer I can get my vacuum cleaner to the gold, the better I like it.

I also brought a knuckle protector. It’s red. It came half off, so I caught that in time before loosing it.
I do have a spare one, I don’t seem to destroy the knuckle protector that easy.

T26 Mike!!!!  Please buy me a couple more skid plates
Before I need a complete new coil  Q41

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:50 pm

xmas tree wrote:Hi Koeh. Is there any chance you could post a photo of your skid plate? Where can i buy polycarbonate to do the job?

I don’t know how to post photos, not real computer savvy, any place that can supply glass for your windows should have polycarb in stock, for a 1.2 x 2.4m sheet of 2mm you would expect to pay around $80—$100, but you can make a heap of skid plates from that sheet
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:27 pm

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=Polycarbonate%20sheets&redirectFrom=Any

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=A3+420x300x1mm+Uv2+Polycarbonate+Clear+Sheet&_sacat=0

Back to top Go down