Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Full moon and detecting

+4
granite2
joe82
nero_design
big fella
8 posters

Go down

Full moon and detecting Empty Full moon and detecting

Post  big fella Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:34 pm

Gday everyone. Been doing a bit of night detecting and its good. Has anyone had better luck on a full moon ?.
Regards big fella
big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Full moon and detecting Empty Re: Full moon and detecting

Post  nero_design Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 am

I hit a good spot in the creeks when panning one afternoon and we could see the small nuggets in the pan, even in the full moon light. But I won't detect after sunset without a degree of caution. Depth perception changes during the Blue Hour and it's easy to get a tree branch in your eye or to step on a snake or brush up against a wasp nest. I've done those things in daylight but it's so much harder to avoid after dark.

Some folks have found that the ground is quieter (the minerals are less reactive) when not in direct sunlight. So they can hear the fainter, deeper signals after the ground has cooled after the sun has set. They detect at night, mark their targets with a spray paint can and then return in daylight to dig them up.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:34 am

Detecting by moonlight. Hmmmm
I know its quiet to detect once the sun goes down, but all the creepy crawlies also come out
I also hear the dingo’s howling at night as well.  They send shivers down my spine, as i look around for glowing eyes Shocked
And ....  And... i am pretty sure the darn bushes seem to move about as well affraid
Everything looks so different at night
Soooo
I shall be Tucked up in bed by then Sleep
Maybe not sleeping, more like playing on my ipad  lol!

P.s hi Nero Q39

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:11 am

i have done abit in the past it is good ground is wicked and quiet so I can crank up the settings and pull deeper gold that you easly miss during the day, just watch out for dead chinaman and wild dogs, great in summer hit the ground at 4pm and tuck into the swag at midnight still gives ya 8 or so hrs on the gold, happy days (or nights)

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:49 am

I love moonlighting but only do it in open paddocks on private land where I have permission. And I only do it during the warmer months. Over the years we have had some great finds while moonlighting. Some good reasons for moonlighting are: Quieter ground, none of "the ground looks better over there syndrome" and privacy. No one can see you and think maybe they'll give the spot a hit themselves, plus its the only way to detect in Victoria when the temperature is over 30 degrees. I have never had a problem with snakes or ants or such but a mate did. He dug a target at night in a bull ants nest and was covered in them by the time we woke up to what was going on. Luckily I was able to brush them off and he only got a couple of bites. Another night I was detecting with a mate and I saw a horse walk up behind him, put his head over my mates shoulder and give a resounding snort. A detector and pick went one way and my mate another while the startled horse sat back on his haunches before galloping away. Me? I lay on the ground laughing until my belly hurt. And because we just wandered in the moonlight we often found new patches on ground we'd not normally bother with.

Yep, moonlighting can be a lot of fun if those big cats that I hear abound in Victoria don't get you.

Last edited by granite2 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  keogh Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Come on Jim, every body knows there are no big cats in Victoria. l have been stalked by a couple of Tasmanian Tigers though. Very Happy

keogh
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2010-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Jin Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:14 am

I often start detecting early morning, usually a couple of hours before light. Often find the detector starts to get noisier just after sunrise.

Jin
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:36 am

There's nothing unusual to find giant Orb Spiders perched on your hat or shoulder, packs of dingoes slinking behind and the rustle of Mulgas slithering through the under growth after returning from wandering in the night in WA. Adds to the atmosphere! Very Happy Shocked Rolling Eyes affraid
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:55 pm

I love detecting at night and do it all the time. As Nero said, mark any targets and dig in the morning. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down