Smells a bit fishy. What do you think...

Go down

Smells a bit fishy. What do you think...

Post  Igotlucky on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:36 am

Reading through this guys questions and answers, he seems a bit guarded about information.
A fake Minelab possibly?
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1609224015

Igotlucky
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2017-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Smells a bit fishy. What do you think...

Post  Kon61gold on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:27 pm

By stating "Cannot say if fake or not" is one way of sabotaging ones sale. Who'll be dumb enough to place a bid in, when advertised like that? Shocked
The seller himself might not be sure about what he has bought off ebay & might be completely innocent & the detector fully legit, but one would have to get their facts straight, (especially when buyer insists on paying through PayPal) before advertising anything for sale through ebay, that might turn out to be fake.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 2704
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  mbasko on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Seems like a lot of pressure from prospective buyers to drop his price with at least 2 willing to pay less even though they are pointing out that it might be fake or have a bad battery?
If he purchased it on eBay I reckon it might be from the New England Instrument Company in NSW (not New England Detectors USA). If interested you should be able to check the serial number & purchase details with them as well as Minelab. NEIC are an authorised Minelab dealer/reseller & sell on eBay regularly - I've purchased gear off them all ok. They are reputable & not dodgy. I think he may be referring to USA based New England Detectors which appears to be closed now.
If truly interested & with a bit of due diligence it wouldn't be too hard to establish whether or not it's a fake. The seller isn't doing himself any favours though.

mbasko
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:38 pm

"Bought this on ebay as Minelab would not send to NZ at the time "

Really?

Minelab have several dealers located in New Zealand which is why the Australian dealers are forbidden from shipping there.
So whilst Minelab wouldn't send to him, I have no doubt at all they would have directed the buyer to several of the dealers nearby.

Four of the Dealers listed on the Minelab "Find a Dealer" directory include....

* Blaxall & Steven Distributors Limited
* Jacobs Photo & Digital
* DetectNZ
* GOLDRUSH TOURS & SUPPLIES LIMITED

Since he sourced it on Ebay (which is a well-known source of fakes) with no knowledge of its origin ...and claims it could possibly be fake or even real, and since his selling spiel lacks credibility, I think it's safe to assume it's most likely a fake.

No mention of a serial number being available on request either (EDIT: there's now a serial number pic that he's uploaded).  Most importantly, his post reeks of inexperience with Minelab products so he'd be exactly the person to buy a fake without knowing... or a seller of such items hoping to waive any liability for himself.  It's the seller's responsibility to know what they're selling and if it's genuine.

{EDIT}:

Seller answered some questions...  "was bought from new England dectors and its number has been logged with minelab in Australia so must be ok"

From a concerned buyer: "from what I can see New England detectors went bust in 2014? and was a very questionable dealer so you've had the detector for some time, this greatly concerns me... "

Looking at all the images, if it's a fake, it's a darned good one. The last "almost perfect" 4500 fake I saw looked very good but had differences that were detectable. There's enough reason now to suspect it's probably genuine, based on the images, the source and other factors. However, "let the buyer beware".
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Tue May 01, 2018 5:12 am

Gday

It sounds more like the seller either knows its a fake or might just suspect it is, the later ones were apparently very good copies but could still be identified with careful examination and testing by ground balancing out a hot rock, its impossible with some to identify it either way by looking only at the pictures that sellers put up, as the ones who are really dodgy already know that they are selling a dud already know what the obvious giveaways are to an aware buyer and purposely avoid clear pictures of those components.Suspect

The first one I saw was very early in the piece and was very obviously dodgy, when you swung it side to side the lower shaft was like rubber and with one swing it would almost continue to work on its own, all the colours and textures of the thing were different, but the dead giveaway for me was that the menu only came up in Chinese characters.cyclops

Apart from that many of the dud detectors components have been sold as well, things like handles, shafts, coils, batteries and so on, so the issue is probably far greater than we know with many more people being ripped off with those sorts of things as well, I think the safest method is to only buy it if you can have a look at it in person, that way you can assess the machine and the seller at the same time and make sure that it is all legit, in the end it can save you big time, sometimes you have to restrain yourself no matter how great the temptation of getting it at a good price.

Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware)

cheers

au-fever

au-fever
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 am

I have seen GPX 5000 that look genuine but are actually VLF metal detectors.
There is also look alike pinpointer that is also vlf and not pulse induction as listed on Ebay.

There is this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/30M-Underwater-Pulse-Induction-Metal-Detector-Pinpointer-Probe-Gold-Hunter-Tool/272982327153?epid=2222612917&hash=item3f8f03bf71:g:htkAAOSwFytaMjYc ....that is selling as a Pulse Induction unit when  it is actually a VLF type that operates at 20.28 khz that  imitates the  the Vibra tector Pulse https://www.ebay.com/itm/Treasure-Products-Vibra-Tector-740-Pulse-Induction-Handheld-Metal-Detector/271870345805?epid=2089963807&hash=item3f4cbc424d:g:i-8AAOSwigxakx80
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1698
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  bubbazoo on Tue May 01, 2018 10:23 am

who is the wally trying to say the battery is munted my 2007 battery which has had a far bit of usage still gives me a day of usage!

bubbazoo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down