Where Are The Forum Good Ole Days

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:39 am

Of the 8015 registered forum users, 43 have kept it alive this year to date and of those 43 approx 12 are good contributors who are carrying the forum.

Is this hobby fading or has everybody gone over to the Dark Side? (face Book etc)....Or is everybody finding so much gold that they have no time for the forum?
   I know a few have hung up their spurs due to getting long in the tooth and finding the current gold machines a tad too heavy.
Maybe it is like my old 67 fairlane. It is still nice to drive but costs too much to run these days.
   Now with the throw away (non repairable control box) equinox at 1200 dollars. pale How many of us will go for that?
The times are a changing.

Last edited by adrian ss on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1698
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Where Are The Forum Good Ole Days

Post  RegolithRick on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:27 am

I come and have a look every day. Sorry to say but I look at "views since last visit" and usually there's nothing worth reading. My login and log out time is usually 15 seconds. Many of the other forums are similar. I had a facebook group with 1600 members and there was very little contribution from most. I would post up good articles and pose questions to try to engage the audience however most people just sit back and look. So i closed the group. I'm in many facebook groups and generally speaking the're dead. So maybe the rush from a couple of years ago with many people entering the hobby is over. The common thing I'm hearing is that many are struggling to find gold so there getting out. "Just my observations"

RegolithRick
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:29 am

I know where your coming from Adrian. Last year we lost some because of others and there remarks. Others have just given up contributing for the same reason, but do drop in from time to time. But I suppose as this being an open forum we will attract a few like that. But in the main stream of things we must look "forward" to keep the forum going for the good of all. As they say "you lose a few and you gain a few". This was and still is a great forum with plenty of knowledge and many years of experience coming from our members. This may be why we have (as you say)  "43 have kept it alive this year to date and of those 43 approx 12 are good contributors who are carrying the forum."
These 43 may be the ones that don't let bad remarks or sly comments coming from others get them down and just push on for the good of the forum. 
wombat  Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4403
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  RegolithRick on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 am

Something I forgot to say and I'm sure ill get torched for say it is...... this forum seemed to be going quite well for a long time. However when the QED Fiore started moderators left, members were banned and in my opinion, the forum never recovered. For me, this has been the best forum for learning and its a shame to see it so quiet.

RegolithRick
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Wombat on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:23 am

RegolithRick wrote:Something I forgot to say and I'm sure ill get torched for say it is...... this forum seemed to be going quite well for a long time. However when the QED Fiore started moderators left, members were banned and in my opinion, the forum never recovered. For me, this has been the best forum for learning and its a shame to see it so quiet.
RegolithRick I agree with you there. In stead of discussing the pro and cons of the QED. It ended up with people bash or criticising the people or person and their intelligibility of what they stated. I hope that the forum does not go down that path again.
wombat  Wink
Wombat
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4403
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:55 am

Since I joined in Jeff's early days when he formed this forum we have seen a lot of ups & downs.
Still a great forum, very interesting posts appear from time to time, even if it has slowed down.

Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2135
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  RegolithRick on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:16 am

I hope you're right Nightjar about the ups and downs. Let's hope things get busier here again soon.This is by far my favorite forum (detectorprospector is great also) simply because it has a lot of members with many years experience and i enjoy reading posts that are more engaging than the usual "what sort of detector should i buy or whats the best settings". I guess it's up to anyone or everyone that's reading this thread to give a little back to the forum that's kept us entertained for so long.

RegolithRick
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:20 am

RegolithRick wrote:Something I forgot to say and I'm sure ill get torched for say it is...... this forum seemed to be going quite well for a long time. However when the QED Fiore started moderators left, members were banned and in my opinion, the forum never recovered. For me, this has been the best forum for learning and its a shame to see it so quiet.

Have to agree with that RegolithRick & also what you said Wombat. It is/was mostly a great forum & I do drop in every now & again. But don't post or share my adventures & finds anymore since those fall out days. Mostly due to "going out" in sympathy due to certain members being banned or quiting & moderators throwing in the towel over numerous incidents. I never quit, just went silent. No one seemed to miss me when I went quiet. No offence to many of you great people on here. A few of you know where I have gone & I "see" you on there, but I was always there as well as being on here.
For those of you who may be interested. Nothing has changed for me. I am still going out there with the mighty Zed, The GM 1000 & the GB2 & getting my usual NZ small gold finds. My latest was 4 small bits for not quite one gram Rolling Eyes yesterday for an afternoons hunt.

Good luck out there

JW
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:24 am

RegolithRick wrote:I hope you're right Nightjar about the ups and downs. Let's hope things get busier here again soon.This is by far my favorite forum (detectorprospector is great also) simply because it has a lot of members with many years experience and i enjoy reading posts that are more engaging than the usual "what sort of detector should i buy or whats the best settings". I guess it's up to anyone or everyone that's reading this thread to give a little back to the forum that's kept us entertained for so long.

Yep. Detectorprospector is where I am at. Great site. Steve tolerates no BS there. Runs a tight ship.

JW
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Thanks for the great replies chaps.
Interesting that they came from within the group of 12.

I tried to get some chit chat going re the Vallon VMH3CM but there is little interest even though it is a very good PI.
The Equinox is receiving good reviews from the States and I have heard a rumour that it can handle some fairly tough ground here in Aus and has good sens to small gold.
The notion that the control box is a throw away item if it fails is a bit of a worry, unless the replacement is inexpensive. I have also heard that the battery cannot be changed by the average run of the mill user. pale confused affraid etc.

A bit later:
The battery can be changed by the operator.

And a little bit later:
If you do change the battery yerslf it might void the warranty
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:53 pm

I check the forum every day, there is hardly anything new, definitely is not the same forum that I joied few years go, I don't know what have change it but is surely changed, some of the good member left because of the wrong and nasty comments. I am sorry because I used to enjoy reading some of the very interesting posts.
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:14 pm

gday adrian and crew, yep forum definately took a big hit from the QED debacle. add to that -- more fear from scams. hot weather. dwindling gold finds.
disappointment with weight of 7000 (and cost to upgrade), and probably one of the main reasons, users are all getting older and with no excitement from the gold price and expectations for it not improving, there is no reason for new young blood to get excited in the hobby. that is to say GOLD FEVER is dead at the moment.

but i am a pig headed old bA$%Ard and now have to kick meself up the butt to go and get some exercise. thats what it has come down to.

so i washed my bleary eyes from late night movies and kicked myself out of the house before sunup this morning. had nowhere special to go, so tried to find a spot that was last visited fifteen years back. proved a bit challenging with washed out creek crossings, ten inch logs over the track that has as good as disappeared. by ten oclock i had jagged three small pieces, and found a new little patch of six specks, all up 9 pieces for 1.85 grams (i did say specks).

but by noon i still hadnt found the old 15 year ago spot (i dont save gpx spots, i reason if i cant find them again, then i wasnt meant too.) 2 hours later, i did finally find the old spot and got the best thrill of the day in finding a .15gram speck, smack in the middle of where i had found a couple of small pieces with the gp extreme, but small pieces in them days was about a half grammer.

so i have now found the old spot, extended it 230 meters in one direction and 100 meters in other direction of gold bearing country.
so in a day or two i have a new area to flog to death. it looks like its only going to produce panning size gold, but with no GOLD FEVER these days who gives a s*!t, it will be easier to kick myself out of bed, as murphy might make a mistake and let me walk over something bigger.

and i will get my exercise ... kev Very Happy

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  cruiser1 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:12 pm

I don't think this is the only forum to go quiet, there are others too that are in the same position.Its a real shame as the information provided by the members on these forums is such an assistance to other members.

cruiser1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  UNCLE BOB on Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 pm

The problem with what's been happening is that there's too many people who came into gold prospecting taking advantage of the good and honest folk.  

This one of the reasons behind the scenes that has happened over the years and this is the result........... Low forum participation rates.

This is also the case with gold detecting and prospecting tours.
The tour operators have been taking advantage of those customers.
There's no denying these actions of these tour operators.
The honest tour operators are few and far between.
UNCLE BOB
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1479
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:58 pm

G'day fellow prospectors

Good old days you say Adrian?  Every or any day, is a good old day, when we treat one another with respect.  Sadly it is not always the case for many. I together with our moderating crew, cannot change what has happened in the past, but let me assure all here, that we'll be far more quicker to respond to  unrighteousness, no matter what shape or form it rears it's ugly head in.
I'v said this in the past & I'll say it again, freedom of speech I will always allow, less it succumb's to disrespect for one another. It's hard enough what prospectors go through or have to endure, in order to find what they seek, then freely take the time to pass on their hard earned knowledge/experience, for all the rest of us to see/read on here, not alone having others criticise them, in an unjust or unfair manner.
The forum might have slowed down somewhat, but rest assured, it has been left in good hands.  
On another note, I would like to thank all members (no matter how few they might be) that go out of their way to contribute on this forum (in way of posts or pictures) their hard earned experiences/knowledge towards the Gold Detecting/Prospecting side of things.

Cheers Kon. Q11 T25
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 2704
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  au-fever on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:42 am

Gday

Unfortunately things have also changed in society as well and this has had a flow on effect to many things in our lives now, there seems to be so many more people sitting back and just going with the flow rather than contributing as they seem to see it as their god given right just to take rather than to give back and simply let others do all the heavy lifting, I discovered that despite my efforts in the past to contribute hard earned knowledge that I know many appreciated and got some benefit from there were equally as many people that attacked me and tried to bring down a lot of what I said, like many others that have contributed on here am not a trained author so its not always easy to put into words what I am trying to say and this leads to some people seizing on the opportunity to straight up "chit can" you instead of asking you to further explain or clarify what you might have said.

I started in this hobby/pastime or whatever you want to call it like many others armed with nothing but a dream of finding gold for myself, back then and (this is my learning experience only) if you admitted to someone that you were a greenhorn you may as well have told them you had the plague, because there was very little help from others and if they were interested often it was because I was new blood, younger and fitter and could do the legwork and walk on to the patches, so I also learned that lesson too in that some people will also use you in that way as well, but anyway that's a whole different story, but what I have learned has been by being on the ground and putting in the hard yards for myself and learning by my own finds and mistakes, probably thousands of hours and thousands of klm's and by my own observations and experiences.

These days there are many avenues to learn from with forums, you tube, and so on where you can gain knowledge without leaving your house, we didn't have the benefit of these things available to us so all we could do is learn as we went and putting in the time and effort, even though people may think they are full of knowledge there is no experience more valuable than learning it first hand, it shows when I read some replies that are given on forums as people more often now will ask for advice and then when sound advice is given they either don't even acknowledge the contributor or they have already made their minds up anyway on what they were going to do before they posed the question, this leaves people who have contributed feeling that they have just wasted their time and so eventually they just stop replying. silent

cheers

au-fever

au-fever
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:15 am

Kon61gold wrote:G'day fellow prospectors

Good old days you say Adrian?  Every or any day, is a good old day, when we treat one another with respect.  Sadly it is not always the case for many. I together with our moderating crew, cannot change what has happened in the past, but let me assure all here, that we'll be far more quicker to respond to  unrighteousness, no matter what shape or form it rears it's ugly head in.
I'v said this in the past & I'll say it again, freedom of speech I will always allow, less it succumb's to disrespect for one another. It's hard enough what prospectors go through or have to endure, in order to find what they seek, then freely take the time to pass on their hard earned knowledge/experience, for all the rest of us to see/read on here, not alone having others criticise them, in an unjust or unfair manner.
The forum might have slowed down somewhat, but rest assured, it has been left in good hands.  
On another note, I would like to thank all members (no matter how few they might be) that go out of their way to contribute on this forum (in way of posts or pictures) their hard earned experiences/knowledge towards the Gold Detecting/Prospecting side of things.

Cheers Kon. Q11 T25

Hi Kon.
I wasn't having a go at the forum moderators, they have always done a great job and is likely why this forum has lasted so long.

The hobby seems to be drifting in all directions without a rudder lately whether it be gold detecting or coin, jewellery and relic hunting.
By the Good Ole days I mean when there was always heaps of people logged in and participating .Many were new to the hobby and asked lots of questions of the more experienced members. Everyone was in learning mode,and it was great to be able to help newbies get up and running.
I definitely enjoyed the occasional debate and sometimes slighted heated chatter that may have been off topic a bit. Laughing

The more restrictive rules that are introduced by State Govs to this metal detecting activity the less likely it will be for people to show an interest...Such as not being able to have a detector in the car when travelling through certain areas and being fined and having your tectas confiscated is about as Gestapo and Natzi ish as it gets......It's a metal detector for c.....sake not a bloody 6 inch Howitzer.

Then there are the first timers who get stuck with a Cheap Chinese import that does not work satisfactorily and these people conclude that metal detectors are bs and nothing more than kids toys.

Anyway i hope that those of us who are still standing and scanning can keep on keeping on for a while yet aye!

adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:50 am

Since discovering this forum in 2011 I have been a regular reader but infrequent poster.
To me, it seems that until around 3 yrs. ago interesting threads were started which could go for 2-3 pages of good discussion around a topic.
However, it takes time to sit, think and one finger (me) type up a response compared to the quick, generally one line or even an emoticon needed to indicate a FB reply.
Similar to the posts beginning (and ending) with "found this today"
So what....tell us the story about it. Or is it simply look at me, aren't I clever.
The forum has lost some very good contributors, some who are no longer alive, but replacement contributors seem to be not forthcoming as one may expect. Maybe the diminishing prospecting returns and the increased costs of following the hobby.
This is one of several Gold forums I visit and notice a similar lack of posting interest in others.
For us, travelling from the East across country to WA and return, fuel, food and other costs for a three month venture runs into a $9000.00+ expenditure. Not begrudged at all, but stings a little when forum criticism is levelled at the "Easterners who habitually come across and steal our gold".
I would not expect much change to take place, reminds me of the words in a very good song by a very observant singer..."the times, they are a changin" Sad
Mike

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:16 pm

While this forum may a bit quiet it is still mainly concerned with gold, not like the infamous Finders where the talk is mostly rubbish political stuff with left wing comentators bullying anyone who doesn't agree with their agenda. We have very good people still comenting on here and now and again you will find some gems of knowledge come your way.
Not having been out detecting much since we returned from the West last August I have had little to contribute. However, when the weather cools off a bit around April we will be trying our luck in Victoria for a change. Last time out up near the Pyrenees last Sptember we did find one small patch on new ground on private land and we will be looking at that again with cooler weather. Hopefully I can update you then.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:39 pm

I think that some of the arguments do end up being taken personally by some (and some intended to be personal too it appears sometimes). It's good to see some people come back to contribute again which helps rejuvenate interest in the internet forums.

Despite the growing availability of detectors at price points to encourage every person and their dog I think Facebook has snaffled them up. Perhaps also the ease of contributing to Facebook (almost like tweeting I suppose) are the main reasons the internet forums like this one do not get rejuvenated as much through new members.

Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:00 pm

G'day all.

I have also been a little disappointed with the small amount of finds posted in the last 3-4 months. I can understand in January and February with the temperatures being hotter but November and December weren't too hot. I had all of January off on 2 cruises and even with all of the physio I have been doing during that time I returned home with a sorer shoulder than I expected. With different exercises in February I feel that it might be getting better.

If it doesn't I may be forced to sell the 7000 and purchase something lighter.

I regularly read the posts under general discussion and will log in if I have something to contribute. I read the posts almost every day but don't log in most times. I hope to get out again soon but with my pistol club hosting the State Titles soon I may be putting in more time there to ensure the range is fully functioning and the competitions run perfectly.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Willo on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:58 pm

For me my problem is I don't get down to the goldfields enough, you go through different seasons in life and I seem to be busier than ever with family commitments and retraining for a new job at Uni. I try to contribute some of my photographic material as hopefully it strikes a cord for many of us who love been out in the great outdoors and enjoying the wonderful Australian bush.

Hopefully i will be able to contribute some finds soon!

Ian
Willo
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2011-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy57 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:04 pm

Hi everyone, i log onto the forum most days for a look and a read and have noticed it has gone a bit quiet. I hope the forum keeps going as i have learnt so much from it and have met some great people who i would never have crossed paths with if not for this great forum. I'm sorry i haven't had anything to contribute for along time. Unfortunatly i'm sitting on my but in Melbourne where i have been since mid october when i had a bone marrow transplant. I spent the first 5-6 weeks in the Royal Melbourne Hospital and then moved across the road with my wife into an apartment owned by the Lukiemia Foundation. I have to be close to the hospital as from the time of the transplant you have no immune system and can become sick very quickly.Also i have blood tests and doctors appointments a few times every week to make sure i'm doing ok. I'm not doing as good as the doctors would like as i'm very tied all the time and can only walk about 2 blocks then i need to sit and have a rest. The doctors are hopeing to have me well enough to go home by easter. It will be a long time before i will be allowed go go detecting again. I did find some nice gold plus an 1819 silver shilling last winter so when i get home from Melbourne i will try and put some photos up on members finds. Cheers to everyone Grumpy57(Doug).
grumpy57
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike54 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:27 pm

That's no good Doug, wishing you a speedy recovery and best wishes for you to be home by Easter.

All the best and regards to you both. Mike. T25

Management

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2017-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  big fella on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 am

Gday Doug hope you make a great recovery. You are part of the forum good old days. Take care and get well soon.
Regards big fella
big fella
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 503
Registration date : 2011-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpy57 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks Mike and Big Fella for your kind replies. Would love to catch up again one day Tom, I see you are in Dunolly now. We hope to go camping up that way when i'm well enough . Cheers Doug.
grumpy57
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2011-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  chris11330 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:35 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,
I don't get on much and comment but i just did on a post from someone in Vic Goldfields who was looking for a general area to go detecting in Axedale. I know you should do your own research but what is wrong with helping someone get a leg up? Honestly if you asked me where to go in a particular area i would point you in the right direction ( or so i thought! I think that everyone needs to get off the horse and have a look around once in a while to see why we are all here....for help and information that is not otherwise available anywhere else! Our hobby is alive and i know that there are slugs and scum out there who will do wrong and try to take advantage but without comarderie and mateship in this bright sunshine land of ours, what have we got! Chris
chris11330
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2012-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  monoandnan on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi Guy's and Gal's, The good ol days, well I remember them, back in 2001 I organised a few trip out around Bendigo for the Forum members and Jeff and some of the guy's would come up for a couple of days, find some Au, have a great time and then go home and talk about it for weeks on the forum. That was the good ol days for sure because we didnt just sit here typing messages to each other, we would get out there and mix it up in person.
I agree with all the comments that you guys have posted, we need to do more to keep this forum going, and I for one is as guilty as others, I dont post as often as I should and will try to rectify that in the future.
In the mean time the season is close to starting and I for one will look forward to seeing all those finds.

Cheers Mono and Nan.

Keep on digging.
monoandnan
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2009-06-20

http://goannagoldadventureswa.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:38 am

adrian ss wrote:Of the 8015 registered forum users, 43 have kept it alive this year to date and of those 43 approx 12 are good contributors who are carrying the forum.

Is this hobby fading or has everybody gone over to the Dark Side? (face Book etc)....Or is everybody finding so much gold that they have no time for the forum?
   I know a few have hung up their spurs due to getting long in the tooth and finding the current gold machines a tad too heavy.
Maybe it is like my old 67 fairlane. It is still nice to drive but costs too much to run these days.
   Now with the throw away (non repairable control box) equinox at 1200 dollars. pale How many of us will go for that?
The times are a changing.

Guess everyone has their own reasons, for me there are many factors ie health etc but above all I tend to just read these days...it's easier that way too.

Take care out there. Pol
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1730
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  delapan on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Hey Pol, glad to c u are still up and about, regards, gazza
delapan
Contributor Plus