Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what to use tablet or notebook

4 posters

Go down

what to use tablet or notebook  Empty what to use tablet or notebook

Post  bundy06 Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:27 am

Gidday all
was wondering what equip. to use for on the ground prospecting. I want to use OzieExplorer, G.E. Tengraph and WA GeoMap I will do any internet usage at night for tengraph up dates for tenements and use moving maps for daytime location plus GPS. I need a unit with good battery life and touch screen also good storage.
Any info on names and models would be appreciated
Thanks in advance Dave:study:
bundy06
bundy06
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

what to use tablet or notebook  Empty Re: what to use tablet or notebook

Post  Topcat Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi Dave,

It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay for what you want.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab LTE S3 32gig will give you good storage capacity, long battery endurance
(over 13 hours before recharge),has on-board GPS & will run OziExplorer CE without any problems.
It has Bluetooth, Wi-Fi & all the internet requirements for GE & Tengraph if you are able to connect to your Internet provider.
The 9.7" screen gives excellent resolution & has a fast operating system.
If you shop around you can pick up one for under a $1000 but if you are looking for something cheaper
with a smaller screen size then the Galaxy S2 32gig 8.0" screen will do the job just as good for under $500
with good battery endurance as well.
Both have touch screen & the S3 comes with a touchscreen pen supplied.
I use the LTE S3 because of the bigger screen size & the extra features it has over other models
& also use it as a Navigator in my vehicle when I'm on the road.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ted
Topcat
Topcat
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-10-27

http://topcathaveweels.com/

Back to top Go down

what to use tablet or notebook  Empty Re:what to use tablet or note book

Post  bundy06 Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:05 am

good evening Ted
thanks for the reply,do you use WA geomap? I have read you need windows for this program
I was looking at the happy prospector app and as it uses geomap I need windows so as far as I know I can't
put windows on an android tablet. I can use the tenements on the app without internet connection so I don't
get into trouble with live leases.I was hoping to use tenement overlays on ozi but can't find out how to do it.
Regards Dave
bundy06
bundy06
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Topcat Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:32 am

You can try installing Windows CE but I don't know if it is compatible for Samsung tablets as you can on some other Android Tablets.
I make all my maps of the tenements I prospect on from GE images of the area, convert them to map files for OziExplorer
then calibrate them in OziExplorer with the tenement boundaries loaded as plot files.
It is a time consuming project but allows me to see the ground on OziExplorer Moving Map on my tablet without having to have an
internet connection for GE.
I use Geo Map on my laptop which has Windows 8.1 & use it for research but haven't got Windows on my tablet.

Cheers

Ted
Topcat
Topcat
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-10-27

http://topcathaveweels.com/

Back to top Go down

what to use tablet or notebook  Empty Geomap

Post  Lottomaster Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Dave,

yes to run GeoMap you need a windows based PC.

It doesn't need much memory or HDD space so a small atom PC will work, HP Stream Officeworks or JBHIFI for around $325, with a 32G SSD drive is the smallest and cheapest that I know works well, but there is an IBM / Lenovo one that's only about $100 more and it has a 64G SSD drive so a better option if you can afford it. Then you need a GPS mouse antenna which will cost you around $60 - $89 bucks to buy locally in Aust.  If you buy from evil bay or other overseas shippers you may not get what you want.

The Happy prospector app seems to work ok and better when the device is i flight mode, but is only good for Android at the moment.

LM

Lottomaster

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Ismael Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Topcat wrote:You can try installing Windows CE but I don't know if it is compatible for Samsung tablets as you can on some other Android Tablets.
I make all my maps of the tenements I prospect on from GE images of the area, convert them to map files for OziExplorer
then calibrate them in OziExplorer with the tenement boundaries loaded as plot files.
It is a time consuming project but allows me to see the ground on OziExplorer Moving Map on my tablet without having to have an
internet connection for GE.
I use Geo Map on my laptop which has Windows 8.1 & use it for research but haven't got Windows on my tablet.

Cheers

Ted

Hi Ted, why run Oziexp' CE when you can run Ozexp Android? I have been using it for years and it can run all the same stuff as the PC version. I actually use it on my quad and convert the Live and Pending Tenements using GPSBabel on my laptop so I can see the tenements overlaid on the oziexp maps. I use an old Motorola Xoom tablet still runs for more than 8hrs but have also purchased another license of Oze Android for my Tab A 8" that I use with my drones. Ted is right with the tablets the Tab S3 is currently the best especially the LTE versions but just remember to turn on Airplane mode on any cellular capable tablet when you don't have service otherwise it will eat your battery constantly searching for a service...

Ismael
Ismael
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-11-18

http://www.minelabmods.com

Back to top Go down