Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new way to find a detecting area

3 posters

Go down

new way to find a detecting area Empty new way to find a detecting area

Post  kristylaura2 Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:17 pm

I've been pulling my hair out stressing about where to detect first in victoria. I have a solution! Go onto google earth and zoom in to known gold areas and look for lots of holes! everywhere there's holes there has been gold! I'm counting down the days!
kristylaura2
kristylaura2
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Back to top Go down

new way to find a detecting area Empty Re: new way to find a detecting area

Post  nero_design Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:49 pm

I've pointed this out to a number of people over the last few months because it's interesting to see how old sites can be spotted this way... and I was surprised to find that such "small" holes could be seen from space just a few meters from where I had walked to on previous expeditions. If only I'd seen the Google Earth maps first, I could/would have walked a few extra feet and seen the old diggings.

Note that only SOME holes are visible from space. Most can't be seen due to trees etc or lack of sunlight and associated shadows. But it's spooky to see how much digging has been going on in the past. Might be a handy tool for some people who might be doing a little exploring.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:09 pm

Have you also checked out the Geovic GIS site? (easy just to google "geovic" to get to it.

You can turn on the roads, mines, shallow alluvial leads and state forest/reserve layers (in the Menu on the side). These layers produce an image like the Tully gold map series. It a good tool to find gold locations on public land. You can also compare the maps generated with google Earth imagery.

Using Geovic it is possible to find little pockets of public land down small roads in many areas that have diggings marked on them. Some of these spots may not have been detected as hard as many other spots.

Ps not all the mapped Alluvial leads are accurate on the Geovic database.

Cheers Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  kristylaura2 Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:53 pm

Thankyou guys! Geovic is great! I really hope I find something. I'd be stoked if I found even half a gram!

Kristy
kristylaura2
kristylaura2
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Back to top Go down

Post  kristylaura2 Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:35 am

post 1000!
kristylaura2