Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

QED Information

+19
hugh62
crowbar
AraratGold
dasenator777
rc62burke
Jarrodt6
adrian ss
ttrash
Muzz
Old Hand
hoolahoopa
Alan WA
geof_junk
rockhunter62
llanbric
Ridge Runner
Ash100456
petere
Reg Wilson
23 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

QED Information - Page 4 Empty Re: QED Information

Post  Kon61gold Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Cheers for the update Rick.

Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:14 pm

AraratGold wrote:Kaye and I are just back from WA, where the GPZ and 4500 found 209.2 grams of the lovely yellow stuff. If you want to read our full report, it is the the Epic Prospecting Trips section of Prospecting Australia forum ( members only ).

The QED, which I had bought specifically to be a patch hunting tool for WA, was a failure at that job. It had to be re ground balanced every few feet to stop it making spurious noises over the rough and highly variable ground, which is not what you want when you are trying to cover large amounts of ground in a day ( I was clocking up 6-8 kms each day patch hunting ).

I read on Doug's AEGP forum this from one user in WA : " As soon as the GB was out even by only one click, the QED was noisy, however that was the first clue to rebalance. In some areas, hot rocks and very high mineralization aplenty gave the thumb plenty of exercise ".

That nicely sums up why the QED is NO GOOD for patch hunting in WA !

The ZED and 4500 had options to handle this nasty ground, including but not limited to difficult / enhance, and slow automatic ground tracking when patch hunting, and were a pleasure to use.

Rick

At least you had a try.
Did the qed find any gold for you Rick?

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm

UNCLE BOB wrote:
AraratGold wrote:Kaye and I are just back from WA, where the GPZ and 4500 found 209.2 grams of the lovely yellow stuff. If you want to read our full report, it is the the Epic Prospecting Trips section of Prospecting Australia forum ( members only ).

The QED, which I had bought specifically to be a patch hunting tool for WA, was a failure at that job. It had to be re ground balanced every few feet to stop it making spurious noises over the rough and highly variable ground, which is not what you want when you are trying to cover large amounts of ground in a day ( I was clocking up 6-8 kms each day patch hunting ).

I read on Doug's AEGP forum this from one user in WA : " As soon as the GB was out even by only one click, the QED was noisy, however that was the first clue to rebalance. In some areas, hot rocks and very high mineralization aplenty gave the thumb plenty of exercise ".

That nicely sums up why the QED is NO GOOD for patch hunting in WA !

The ZED and 4500 had options to handle this nasty ground, including but not limited to difficult / enhance, and slow automatic ground tracking when patch hunting, and were a pleasure to use.

Rick

At least you had a try.
Did the qed find any gold for you Rick?

No, none at all.
I bought it specifically for patch hunting in WA, and for that it is not fit for purpose.

Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  crowbar Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:31 am

Have been following discussions on the QED although not so much being said here as on the PA forum however a YouTube site "QED Metal Detectors" mentioned on the PA forum displays some interesting videos on how to operate this particular detector.

crowbar
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2015-04-27

Back to top Go down

QED Information - Page 4 Empty New Warranty

Post  Reg Wilson Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 am

Good news for QED owners and prospective owners.... Howard has decided, due to the fact that problems with the QED have been practically zero, that he will now extend the warranty period on all QED units to five years regardless of date of purchase. This applies only to the electronic components and not to coils, which are covered by their own manufacturers warranty.
This means that all QED owners can now have greater confidence in the security of their investment.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:02 am

Now that is a sure sign that this machine has developed a good track record for reliability.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4329
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

QED Information - Page 4 Empty New updates.

Post  Reg Wilson Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:45 pm

Two new updates for QED PL2.

1. With a small hardware operation the QED can now accept both DD and the new concentric coils. This update is free to all current QED owners, the only cost being postage to and from Ballarat.

2. A new wider ground balance system known as DSM (Dynamic Spectrum Modulation) is now a free software upgrade for all QEDs. James Beatty and I have been testing this technical advance for the last few weeks and have noted a number of improvements. Once set the GB remains smoother and less affected by ground fluctuations and mineralization, resulting in more stable threshold, and less time spent ground balancing. Signal response and depth seem to have improved also. This system negates the need for auto ground tracking.

All new QED PL2s will feature these improvements at no extra cost, and all current and earlier QEDs can be updated.
To those attending the Laanecoorie bash this year, Howard will be available to update your machines over the weekend, so bring them along.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:14 pm

That is some top news for all QED buyer/users & well done to Howard for his ingenuity & inventive persistence.  Appreciate you keeping us all updated on the QED Reg.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

QED Information - Page 4 Empty DSM and DD, CC compatibility.

Post  Reg Wilson Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:53 am

James Beatty and I have been able to test one of Howard's latest updates which is known as DSM (Dynamic Spectrum Modulation) a whole new ground balancing system, on real gold producing ground over a few weeks. Over four ounces of gold were recovered in virgin ground, the best piece being just under an ounce. Using DSM the GB range has been increased from 1 to 200 to 1 to 300 giving a greater GB accuracy and far greater stability. Once set the DSM rarely needs adjustment, even over very changeable ground, and now handles most conditions, making auto ground tracking unnecessary.
Another update has seen the QED able to run DD coils, and in the last few days I have tested a Commander 11" DD on my recently modified machine. The DD allows the QED to run on a greater gain and lower mode setting, even on the worst ground. No switch is required as the QED adjusts itself to the change of coils. Theoretically, the QED should also now be able to run the new concentric coils, although I am still waiting for my ordered Detech 18" concentric to arrive so that I can verify this.
The latest updates are available free for all QED PL1s and PL2s. The only cost is postage.
These mods make the QED an even better detector and a breeze to use.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

ivanll likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:33 pm

Much appreciate you & JR keeping us updated on the latest innovative modifications by Howard to the QED Reg. I would also like to thank Howard for offering all these latest mods, as well as the extended warranty, to all past buyer/users of the QED at no extra cost, (less postage). Now this is what I call first class service. cheers

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Yeah thanks for keeping us up to date on the QED , just makes me more envious of the QED Smile pity I don't have these options with my 5k Sad  It seems more apparent to me as the more I read on the QED ,that's its like a blank canvas ,and that's its ability to receive new soft ware updates and improvements by a very innovative Howard  T25
                             Yeah i'd also be very interested to see how you go with that new 18'' concentric .
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

QED Information - Page 4 Empty How to get the most out of DSM

Post  Reg Wilson Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:31 pm

http://www.finders.com.au/finders-forum-info/finders-forum/
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:18 am

Hi Reg You stated that :- To those attending the Laanecoorie bash this year, Howard will be available to update your machines over the weekend, so bring them along

Sorry Reg but there will not be a Bash this year or the Bendigo Gold Expo due to Covid 19
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:26 am

Reg Wilson wrote:
James Beatty and I have been able to test one of Howard's latest updates which is known as DSM (Dynamic Spectrum Modulation) a whole new ground balancing system, on real gold producing ground over a few weeks. Over four ounces of gold were recovered in virgin ground, the best piece being just under an ounce. Using DSM the GB range has been increased from 1 to 200 to 1 to 300 giving a greater GB accuracy and far greater stability. Once set the DSM rarely needs adjustment, even over very changeable ground, and now handles most conditions, making auto ground tracking unnecessary.
Another update has seen the QED able to run DD coils, and in the last few days I have tested a Commander 11" DD on my recently modified machine. The DD allows the QED to run on a greater gain and lower mode setting, even on the worst ground. No switch is required as the QED adjusts itself to the change of coils. Theoretically, the QED should also now be able to run the new concentric coils, although I am still waiting for my ordered Detech 18" concentric to arrive so that I can verify this.
The latest updates are available free for all QED PL1s and PL2s. The only cost is postage.
These mods make the QED an even better detector and a breeze to use.

My newly acquired QED can indeed, as Reg Wilson mention above, use both DD and Concentric coils.
QED also have a Beach Mode(11)  Cool  . . . it's becoming very versatile.  Exclamation  Very Happy
Have tested one of the Detech 18" Dual Concentric coil and it looks very promising.
Main interest in this coil for me, is the inner RX coil that make it far easier to pinpoint deeper targets (that is not planted) than if it is used as an 18" mono coil.
Being a fair distance (to far) from any gold fields, this coil will mostly be used for beach detecting.

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

QED Information - Page 4 Empty PL4

Post  Reg Wilson Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:00 pm

At long last, the PL4 has passed a few initial birthing problems and is now available. A new hardware concept will see an option of fold down handle or rigid, and various power choices.

There have been a few changes from the PL3. The new stem is a three piece telescopic unit with very good tight locking knuckles, fully adjustable, and because of the unique aligning system, which prevents the stem sections from twisting, there is no need for locating pins and holes.

Two handle types are available. Either rigid Minelab SD style with control box on top or a fold down type. Both have internal wiring with the coil mounting on the rear of the control box.

Three power supply options are available. Power pack (as used for mobile phone backup). Four lithium 18650 batteries, or eight 18650s. All are located beneath the arm cuff and are an integral part of the cuff.

A fold up stand allows the whole detector to become a compact unit when handle is folded down and stem is telescoped. This enables back packing.

There have been no changes in software, the electronics remaining the same as the PL3
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Thanks for the update Reg

Cheers Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

QED Information - Page 4 Empty qed

Post  mond Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:27 pm

there is a new qed out but its a bit slow and hard to get one as yet.I have one on order so hope its good
Mond

mond
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:12 pm

I see a QED for sale on Ebay that was PL2 and has been upgraded to PL3.
Seeing as I have an SDC2300, would I be wasting money going for the QED
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:07 pm

Fitness for purpose Adrian. Both are capable of finding small/bigger gold in/over mineralized soils nearer the surface, but If you're strictly searching for larger multi-gram gold at depth in mineralized soils, you'd be better off using a GPZ 7000 for such. Now if its strictly for gold you're after & already have an SDC 2300 suited just for that purpose, personally, I wouldn't be wasting any more money. (mind you, this is only my opinion)

Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

adrian ss and phrunt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:13 am

The QED will let you run a range of coils which the SDC is very limited with, however the QED is not likely to exceed the performance of your 2300 on smaller shallow gold it may better it on some bigger deeper gold as you can run larger coils.  I think you'd be better off sourcing a second hand GPX for a better build quality and a deeper detector.

If you don't mind paying the $100 to $200 or so shipping to get this package from NZ to Australia it's a good deal, GPX detectors sell for less here as there isn't such a big market for them.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/electronics-photography/other-electronics/other/listing/3186965546?bof=LP6aLCp5

I'd imagine 2500 AUD for a GPX 5000 with 3 good coils (a 4th with a damaged plug which could be replaced) and some extra parts is a reasonable deal in comparison to the prices in OZ.  The guy selling it is legit.  Both JW and I have bought a 5000 off him.

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2021-01-20

geof_junk and adrian ss like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:12 am

The Ebay QED is 1200 dollars.

The 7000 is out of the question due to cost as is the 6000. (The 6000 does seem to be a great machine)
My 2300 has performed very well no matter what sort of metal detecting I subject it to.

The QED has interested me from day one but it has had reliability and consistency in operation issues and I do not know if they have been ironed out by now.

I guess if I am not getting out much these days then purchasing another tecta of any kind might be a wast of money. Sad
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

geof_junk and phrunt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:47 pm

A bit of a disappointment for those who bought a QED PL4 expecting the promised Auto Ground Tracking which is printed on the control box and was promised to be 'soon' available and installed at no cost.
After many months of waiting it now seems that it may never eventuate. The builder has been quizzed for some time as to when this feature will be a reality but has provided no answer, merely stalling and muddying the waters with obfuscation. Reading between the lines it appears that the process may be under patent or beyond his ability. affraid
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:49 pm

I can understand the concern from buyers of the QED Reg, but whatever the manufacturers reasons for not having supplied the so called "promised" & long awaited auto ground balancing feature on the QED, as well as having it installed free of charge, lies solely at the manufacturers discretion.
A similar pattern can be said with some coil/detector manufacturers lately, promising a much wider range of accessory products complementing their new range of detectors, but to little or no avail. The weeks waiting have turned into months, & the long awaited months, are now turning into years. Spare parts & or material goods must be hard to come by these days Shocked Laughing  

Kon T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum