Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SDC 2300 Gold Tones

+12
llanbric
orgone500
Philsgold
determined1
Sharkbait
Harb
Undertaker
hoolahoopa
redcaveman
Reg Wilson
kiwijw
flyspecks
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SDC 2300 Gold Tones - Page 2 Empty Re: SDC 2300 Gold Tones

Post  adrian ss Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 pm

I ran a wireless rig on my Infinium for a while. It worked well  but I got tired of changing and or having to recharge the batteries long before the detector batteries needed charging.
I notice that the wireless rig you have referred to only has a USB charging point. What batteries does it run on?The 6 hour run time is a tad short.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sharkbait Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:37 pm

adrian ss wrote:I ran a wireless rig on my Infinium for a while. It worked well  but I got tired of changing and or having to recharge the batteries long before the detector batteries needed charging.
I notice that the wireless rig you have referred to only has a USB charging point. What batteries does it run on?The 6 hour run time is a tad short.

Not sure of the power source Adrian..no batteries,so inbuilt.
I charge both transmitter and receiver the night before i go on a trip,then give them a boost in the car on the way up to the GT via a usb charger plugged in to the cig lighter..i get about 4 to 5 hrs in,then give them another top up when i stop for a lunch break (approx half-hour) I find that they always have plenty of juice to see me out the day Very Happy Just great to not be always tripping over leads Razz
Sharkbait
Sharkbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2013-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:55 pm

Sounds like the battery may be a lithium ion.
I'll give this gadget some thought over the next couple of days. The last wireless set up that I used was a bulky awkward contraption and although it worked well it was more hindrance than help. Plus I have become so used to headphones and cable that I am almost unaware of them after I start detecting.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:25 pm

by adrian ss on Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:55 pm
I'll give this gadget some thought over the next couple of days. The last wireless set up that I used was a bulky awkward contraption and although it worked well it was more hindrance than help. Plus I have become so used to headphones and cable that I am almost unaware of them after I start detecting.

G'day Adrian,

I have been following this with interest and I take from the above that your plan is to run the B & Z with headphones on the SDC.

I might be wrong (and probably am), but I was of the understanding that you get a feedback or a buzzing sound in the headphones from the booster and as I understood it, it is designed to be coupled up only to speakers.

Most of the responses seem to be from folks who are using speakers as opposed to headphones, but I hope some can confirm that it can be used effectively with headphones. The outcome I would like to achieve is step down the threshold and the sensitivity and the adjust/increase the audio volume through the booster.

Hope what I am saying here makes sense.

Determined1

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Philsgold Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:28 am

adrian ss wrote:Sounds like the battery may be a lithium ion.

The wireles setup from Phase Technical is really good and is well suited to the SDC, highly recommended.

Phil

Philsgold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2016-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:29 am

determined1 wrote:
by adrian ss on Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:55 pm

G'day Adrian,

I have been following this with interest and I take from the above that your plan is to run the B & Z with headphones on the SDC.

I might be wrong (and probably am), but I was of the understanding that you get a feedback or a buzzing sound in the headphones from the booster and as I understood it, it is designed to be coupled up only to speakers.

Most of the responses seem to be from folks who are using speakers as opposed to headphones, but I hope some can confirm that it can be used effectively with headphones. The outcome I would like to achieve is step down the threshold and the sensitivity and the adjust/increase the audio volume through the booster.

Hope what I am saying here makes sense.

Determined1

Now that you have mentioned it, I recall that the unit I had on the Infinium messed up the audio a bit when used with the standard Inf HPs. The tone became a bit squeeky and there was a a sort of "Thup" sound at the end of the tone.....Not often ya get a thup in the tones. Yeth a bloody thup. Not a thuppity thup, jutht a thup. type thup.  Smile
I understand that the B&Z is supposed to be used with 60 to 90 ohm imp headphones??

I have a variety of headphones n speakers here so I will let you know how things go soon enough.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  orgone500 Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:46 am

Looks like Minelab have been listening...

https://www.minelab.com/anz/customer-care/product-notices?article=301959
orgone500
orgone500
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:00 am

Sounds interesting but you can bet your little bibby that it will be a ridiculous price.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  orgone500 Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:01 am

From other forums the guestimate is the $370AU mark.
orgone500
orgone500
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:34 pm

And it is likely just an FM TX and RX with hp audio amp and output. 20 bucks worth of bits.
You could make your own.
Obtain a small FM TX, connect it to your detector audio output. Get a minuture FM receiver with HP audio output  and and tune it to the frequency of the TX, plug yer HPs in  and there  ya have your very own wireless HPs. Very Happy
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Yep bz boosters are not flash with headphones mate you fet that mechanical buzzing sort of noise. Best way i can describe it

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:35 am

adrian ss wrote:Is anyone using a signal enhancer on the 2300? Which one and does it do any good?

I have been using the B&Z booster on mine and have found it to be beneficial, as my hearing is not what it used to be and also I could barely hear the speaker being that it was on the opposite side to me, initially I struggled to find very much with it when used stock standard, but now I only use it with lightweight behind the neck type headphones so I can adjust the B&Z volume control to suit, I have found that using the booster and headphones has definitely improved my finds with it, just making the really iffy signals stand out a tad better so you are more likely to recognise them, and blocking some of the external sounds a little with the headphones helps as well.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:46 am

Further to my previous comment, I just saw the comment that hoolahoopa made in regards to the electronic buzzing that you get from the booster, if you have the volume too high you will get this but its not so bad with the type of headphones I use as I am really only running the booster on about 2 or 3 for most of the time just enough to bring out the signal a little more.

I have found also when I have been chasing really small pieces and there is little or no rubbish in the spot I will sometimes will turn the volume up more and the electronic buzzing will actually become more like a secondary threshold that also breaks when a target is seen by the detector its a bit hard to explain how that works actually but experiment with it and see how you go.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:01 am

I run Nenad's units on 2x4500's and a 2300, the secret is to attach a $10 powerbank to each unit via the usb connection, this keeps both Tx and Rx charged while in use.  A bit fiddly charging 5 batteries for one detector but a multiple usb charger makes this easier, I have a Laser 10 port charger.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:52 am

Must be something wrong with me. Since we sold our SD2200's way back in 2003 we have never used a booster or speakers. I stick to a set of Koss TD80 earphones and haven't changed them right through all the Minelab models, and we have had them all.
At the moment we have a SDC2300 and the same TD80's we have had since 2004. No need for booster, no need for speakers, and I have 50% hearing loss in one ear and 10% loss in the other from too many years with a rattling shearing machine down tube next to my ear. Cheryl has perfect hearing and can hear a leaf fall at 50m. We keep it simple and do pretty well for a couple of old farts. Saves us a heap of money, too. Pity they don't still make the TD80's any more, they are the best heaphones ever made for detecting despite they were never made for detecting. Last year in Tibooburra we found over 1100 little nuggets over 7 weeks and this year we found almost 900 in 8 weeks in the west. The combination must work OK.

Cheers, Jim
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:09 pm

I prefer not to use headphones, and the joy of using a cable free GPX is worth the hassles for me.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:20 pm

orgone500 wrote:Looks like Minelab have been listening...

https://www.minelab.com/anz/customer-care/product-notices?article=301959

I see that garret have a wireless HP set-up that works with any MD with either a WP type AT Pro connector or a std 1/4 inch jack plug and socket.
Garrett Z-Lynk wireless.

Sounds like it works fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kigI4zIqcEE&feature=youtube
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Akubra Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:54 pm

sdc round lead shot tone goes wwowow
sdc smallsub 10th of a gram gold goes weiow

Akubra
Akubra
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2016-11-19

Back to top Go down

SDC 2300 Gold Tones - Page 2 Empty SDC tones

Post  ttrash Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:54 pm

There is wireless setups & there is wire-less setups

Having headphones plugged into thingy & not the detector itself is hardly wire-less.......
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:09 pm

ttrash wrote:There is wireless setups & there is wire-less setups

Having headphones plugged into thingy & not the detector itself is hardly wire-less.......

G'day Anthony,

I think what they're saying is that they are not hooked up to the SDC/whichever machine with the headphone lead. I know you can get wireless headphones, which yes you then don't have any leads. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:22 pm

Blimey Teddy Eddy!!
When There is no connection between the detector and the HPs  then that is what is meant by wireless. Plugging The HPs into the RX 
 is better than headphones that contain the RX because you are limited to those HPs only.
The Minelab unit is very like the Garrett. and requires the RX to be connected to the HPs via a normal HP cable.

With near on all wireless HP arrangements there is a delay between when the coil passes over the target and when the signal is heard in the headphones.
There is zero delay with the Garrett unit and a small delay with the Minelab unit.....If this delay is excessive then pinpointing can be difficult.  

I have used the HPs with built in RX and found them to be a pain in the butt, heavy  and expensive and the batteries lasted only around 5 hours.
One particular set peed me off so much that I hit them with a hammer and tossed them in the bin......And it made me feel gooooood.  Very Happy
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:42 pm

Akubra wrote:sdc round lead shot tone goes wwowow

Hmmmmm, I am not sure mate.
I have nuggs between 0.4g and 0.63g that give a lo tone warble at the limit of detection depth that change to LO/HI at around 4 or 5 inches from the coil. Then there are other nuggs of similar weight that produce a HI/LO tone at all detection depths.

So I still reckon that you will miss gold by relying on the tones that you indicated.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  ttrash Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:00 pm

adrian ss wrote:

Blimey Teddy Eddy!!
When There is no connection between the detector and the HPs  then that is what is meant by wireless. Plugging The HPs into the RX 
 is better than headphones that contain the RX because you are limited to those HPs only.
The Minelab unit is very like the Garrett. and requires the RX to be connected to the HPs via a normal HP cable.

With near on all wireless HP arrangements there is a delay between when the coil passes over the target and when the signal is heard in the headphones.
There is zero delay with the Garrett unit and a small delay with the Minelab unit.....If this delay is excessive then pinpointing can be difficult.  

I have used the HPs with built in RX and found them to be a pain in the butt, heavy  and expensive and the batteries lasted only around 5 hours.
One particular set peed me off so much that I hit them with a hammer and tossed them in the bin......And it made me feel gooooood.  Very Happy

Luv it
Thanks SS
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Akubra Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:31 am

adrian ss wrote:
Akubra wrote:sdc round lead shot tone goes wwowow

Hmmmmm, I am not sure mate.
I have nuggs between 0.4g and 0.63g that give a lo tone warble at the limit of detection depth that change to LO/HI at around 4 or 5 inches from the coil. Then there are other nuggs of similar weight that produce a HI/LO tone at all detection depths.

So I still reckon that you will miss gold by relying on the tones that you indicated.
I meant sub 10th of gram like 0.05 definitely sounds different to shot .I have managed to pick a few gram plus bits out of rubbish also it's just got a sweeter sound that you know is gold I dig everything anyway just good practice  to pick it .
Akubra
Akubra
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2016-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:50 am

No worries. I dig you digger.
Maybe that is why the Yanks like the HI/LO tones (Weiow) from the SDC for gold.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:21 pm

davsgold wrote:
adrian ss wrote:No worries dave. I have an adapter that should  work fine.
Also have a speaker that I have been using with the Infinium. It will connect direct to the B&Z.

G'day Adrian

I doubt that the adaptor for the Finny will fit the SDC2300, the plug on the 2300 is unique, unless you have modified it,  Laughing

cheers dave

OK! So now I have a B&Z Booster and an adapter lead to go from the SDC to the booster. Beaudy! Now I need a lead that will enable me to connect the std SDC  Koss HPs to the booster. Any suggestions other than to go buy another set of Koss HPs with a 1/4 inch jack plug.

I did connect a set of 100 Ohm headphones with a 1/4 inch jack plug to the booster and the booster works and audio is very loud through the 100 Ohmers. There is a bit of feedback squeal in the HPs that comes and goes depending on where the lead is hanging or whether I am touching the booster.
There is way more than enough signal amplification and by the time I turn the amp down to an acceptable audio level then everything sounds the same as when just the Koss HPs are connected without the booster.

Last edited by adrian ss on Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:46 pm

G'day Adrian

You sure like to try and complicate things. Rolling Eyes just use the standard koss headphones that come with any of the GP or GPX detectors, of any other headphones that you may have in you collection that have a 1/4" jack which will plug directly into the B&Z booster.

I myself prefer to plug dual external speakers into the B&Z booster as this gets me the results I am after. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:05 pm

If someone can supply me with a male SDC HP Plug I will make my own lead or maybe the enterprising person who made the other SDC 1/4 inch adapter lead could knock up one for me.
The feedback squeal in the 100 Ohm HPs was likely due to the high- ish impedance so if I can dig up a set with around 60 Ohms Imp the feedback may reduce.

Overall this Booster works very well and appears well made. It is just a matter of me getting used to it. I will also try my Infinium speaker set up on the booster....In a few minutes

A few minutes later.
My  Infinium speaker setup loads the SDC too much and volume drops drastically in the speaker. The Infinium audio output power drives this speaker quite well.  ( This speaker does not have an inbuilt  pre amp)  The booster has to be set to 3 or higher to be able to hear the signal well enough. So it seems that speaker and HP impedance is important for the booster.

Last edited by adrian ss on Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:48 am; edited 4 times in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:13 pm

The cheapest way to get the plug your talking about is to buy another set of headphones for the SDC and cut the lead of, then you have the plug you require. Very Happy

These plugs and sockets are NOT available, they are Minelab specific stuff.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:22 pm

So now I have everything. B&Z, adapter leads n plugs  plus a wireless rig. (Jaycar job) It is all working well and I like koss HPs so much I purchased a couple more sets. bounce
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum