Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skid plate

+2
deutran
AnnieL
6 posters

Go down

Skid plate Empty Skid plate

Post  Guest Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:56 pm

I am a scrubber!!!!
I can't help but be a scrubber  Laughing
I wear the sdc2300 skid plates out in no time over here on the fine like sand paper ground in W.A

Skid plate Image22

Where we are camped, which is about roughly 350ks out from kalgoorlie..
Anyway no shop here to buy yet another one.  Crying or Very sad
So this is what Mike did for me..
He had a 8 inch spare skid plate. One thats for the commander coil.
Mike cut part of it, used heat to make the bend, for at the knuckle part of the sdc2300.
Put it on my sdc2300 coil, no need for tape.. Fitted perfectly.

Skid plate Image24
Skid plate Image23

I thought it was going to take away the sensitivity.. For finding those faint little buggers
being a very slightly thicker skid plate..
But it didn't. I can still get those tiny tackers..

Oh.. I can scrub even more now... This skid plate works a treat!!! Twisted Evil

Mike says to me " lets see how long it takes for you to wear this! skid plate out"
Fingers crossed i don't.
lol!  lol!

Back to top Go down

Skid plate Empty Re: Skid plate

Post  AnnieL Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:07 pm

Jen, Mike is a "keeper" for sure.   Great job.

I'm in Kalgoorlie at the moment.  If I can help you out in any way by sending up a skid plate let me know ... but it looks like you won't need it yet anyway. Very Happy
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:30 pm

AnnieL wrote:Jen, Mike is a "keeper" for sure.   Great job.

I'm in Kalgoorlie at the moment.  If I can help you out in any way by sending up a skid plate let me know ... but it looks like you won't need it yet anyway. Very Happy

Yep... He sure is Wink

Thankyou for the offer
But i had friends that went down to Kal
So they picked a skid plate up for me..
So now i have a spare one again..
I am hoping i wont need it. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:47 pm

"Necessity is the mother of invention" well done.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Great job Mike, you are obviously a man of means.
Still puzzles me how you can wear out a skid plate on WA ground, tried it a couple of times and kept smacking rocks.
Nearly 40 years detecting and have never worn out a plate.
Probably the reason for not finding buckets of gold. Q03 T10

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:51 pm

Thanks Anniel, Steve and Pete,

We just worked out Jen's telly in pieces so far this year, she has found over 900 and if you saw her in action you would see how she wears them out. Shocked It will be interesting to see how long this one will last. Very Happy So far she is very happy with it, as she found another 12 for the day.

Is that the same coil for that time Pete. Laughing

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Nightjar wrote:Great job Mike, you are obviously a man of means.
Still puzzles me how you can wear out a skid plate on WA ground, tried it a couple of times and kept smacking rocks.
Nearly 40 years detecting and have never worn out a plate.
Probably the reason for not finding buckets of gold. Q03 T10

So Peter
scratch  how many coils have you worn out in those forty years T05

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:20 am

No shame in being a scrubber of coils Jen. The few that have seen me swinging a coil in action,say there's a D9 Dozer near by. Laughing Ground noise saturation,coil saturation,by having the coil to close to,or scraping on the ground,means little to me. Every inch off the ground,means one inch less in the ground & nothing or no one,is going to change my way of thinking.So what if I go through a couple of skid plates a year,the gold found,makes up for them by a long shot. By the way,great bit of ingenuity there Mike.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:50 am

Jen58 wrote:So Peter
scratch  how many coils have you worn out in those forty years T05

Not one Jen, Starting with Garrett Deepseeker, Groundhog, Whites VSat, 2000, SD2100 (about 10 years, lost the 18" dustbin cover, didn't wear it out), 3500, 4000 & current 4500 from new (mmm that must be going on 10 years scratch since it was released. Plus I like to swing the 20" nuggetfinder and there is usually too much groundcover to put in on the ground.
The noise that Kon mentions is not for me. As they say, it's horses for courses. :-)
Saw Ronnie in action at Wilson's, starting off with brand new coil on the ground, after the week of scraping the coil looked like it had been run over by a D9, but she had a handful of the good stuff.

***Has anyone ever run a test comparing signals from scraping & skimming the ground?***
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Nightjar
Out of all the detectors i have used, since the sd2000 days
The sdc2300 is the first skid plates i have destroyed in my new way of detecting Very Happy

Hi Kon61
Yep its less then a gram of gold to replace my skid plate! And if i am paying for my own skid plate..
Away i will scrub!!!!! lol!

I have noticed one thing.. As i scrub, i must get certain gold..
brother Tony brought an sdc2300 and he will find gold where i have detected as he doesn't scrub..        ( well not yet, but he may be starting too Laughing )

No matter how many times we go over the what seems to be the same ground, with our different  technique.... we always ping more
Then along comes Mike with the zed, and finds more again.. Well his zed does go deeper Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Jen58 wrote:Hi Nightjar
brother Tony brought an sdc2300 and he will find gold where i have detected as he doesn't scrub..        ( well not yet, but he may be starting too Laughing )

Jen, To clear up your above comment.
Tony doesn't scrub and finds gold where you have scrubbed. Why would he want to start scrubbing?

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:47 pm

Nightjar wrote:
Jen58 wrote:Hi Nightjar

Jen, To clear up your above comment.
Tony doesn't scrub and finds gold where you have scrubbed. Why would he want to start scrubbing?

At the end of the day we show each other what we have found, we also share our gold spots..
I seem to find more then Tony.. Laughing
So he says " hmmmmm there must be something about this scrubbing, well getting the coil as close as possible to the ground.
But it doesn't matter how many times we go over the same ground, we always seem to miss some.
So i guess its also due to the way we walk, no one walks the same and swings the same..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi Jen, I am on my 4th skidplate on the 2300, I have tested some very iffy signals that I found scrubbing and if I lifted the coil up even a little they were lost. So I say sub on. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:46 pm

Sparrowfart wrote:Hi Jen, I am on my 4th skidplate on the 2300, I have tested some very iffy signals that I found scrubbing and if I lifted the coil up even a little they were lost. So I say sub on. cheers

Right on! T06 Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:50 pm

kon61 wrote:No shame in being a scrubber of coils Jen. The few that have seen me swinging a coil in action,say there's a D9 Dozer near by. Laughing Ground noise saturation,coil saturation,by having the coil to close to,or scraping on the ground,means little to me. Every inch off the ground,means one inch less in the ground & nothing or no one,is going to change my way of thinking.So what if I go through a couple of skid plates a year,the gold found,makes up for them by a long shot. By the way,great bit of ingenuity there Mike.

Cheers Kon. Q11

I know of another that goes by the user name of " thegoldenchild" boy when he was detecting, i thought a herd of kangaroos were coming out of the scrub!!!!affraid

I haven't destroyed the skid plate yet lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:06 am

kon61 wrote:

By the way,great bit of ingenuity there Mike.

Cheers Kon. Q11

Thanks Kon,

You know that old saying "a happy wife means a happy life".    lol!

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:47 am

Very clever Mike Shocked
Jen maybe you should get Mike to keep modding the 8' Commander skid plates. I suspect they would last longer than the 2300 skid plate.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:28 pm

Mike54 wrote:Thanks Anniel, Steve and Pete,

We just worked out Jen's telly in pieces so far this year, she has found over 900 and if you saw her in action you would see how she wears them out.   Shocked    It will be interesting to see how long this one will last.    Very Happy    So far she is very happy with it, as she found another 12 for the day.

Is that the same coil for that time Pete.    Laughing    

Cheers.

Mike.  

I have had my sdc for around 6 months well over 400 pieces so far , still on the original skid plate I made for it when I got it and I can say with confidence that I won't be changing it for at least two years, the 8" minelab mono coil skid plates would only last about 6-7 weeks on my 45 (only a weekend warrior though),
The sdc skid plates are piss poor you can just about see through them
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Skid plate Empty polycarbonate

Post  Imadogman Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi Jen -- the answer is polycarbonate sheeting.  Makrolon:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A3-420x300x1mm-UV2-polycarbonate-Clear-Sheet-FREE-Postage-Lexan-Makrolon-Supply-/252341079061
It is very easy to cut with tin snips -- just make it a little bigger than the skid plate (good for any skid plate not just SDC). then you stick it on with silicon. when you wear it out, replace it.  but you will be going to wear it out.  I am happy to send you a bit big enough for the SDC -- just PM me your postal address.

cheers

Stehen.
Imadogman
Imadogman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 376
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:31 pm

Imadogman wrote:Hi Jen -- the answer is polycarbonate sheeting.  Makrolon:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A3-420x300x1mm-UV2-polycarbonate-Clear-Sheet-FREE-Postage-Lexan-Makrolon-Supply-/252341079061
It is very easy to cut with tin snips -- just make it a little bigger than the skid plate (good for any skid plate not just SDC). then you stick it on with silicon. when you wear it out, replace it.  but you will be going to wear it out.  I am happy to send you a bit big enough for the SDC -- just PM me your postal address.

cheers
Stehen.

Hi Stehen
Thankyou for your very kind offer..

Mike did buy some of that sheeting, last year scratch  gee the years are going by to quickly..
It may have even been the year before..
It was Phoenix back then that told us about it..

Anyway he did make a skid plate cover for my 14x9 goldstalker coil..
Well i didn't like it.. affraid  
It made the coil heavier! Maybe the lexan we brought may have been to thick.
I still haven't worn this sdc2300 skid plate out yet!!!

I may have to scrub harder lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:45 pm

Spoke to a fellow prospector late July in Northern WA he had found 750 pieces with his 2300 in 3 months totalling 3ozs, he wears out a skid plate every 3 weeks.

To me the 2300 is a good machine for Fems because some of the weight of the detector can be transferred to the ground via the skid plate, unlike my 7000 that I detect with the coil 50mm off the ground.

When Margaret (wife) purchased her 2300 an extra skid plate was thrown in.

Back to top Go down