Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting result - General vs Deep

2 posters

Go down

Interesting result - General vs Deep Empty Interesting result - General vs Deep

Post  Guest Sun May 01, 2016 4:20 pm

I was out on Saturday with the 7000 hunting in General. I had a faint target - switched to deep - was louder. Dug down to about 2 ft and out popped junk. This happened a few times with one target being gold.

The interesting thing happened on last deep target for the day. Got a faint signal in General, changed to deep - nothing. Dug down about 6 inches - HY solid target, General solid target but deep was still faint. Anyway took me a while to get down to the target - was in compacted clay and pretty hard. Was a 10g thin nugget sitting vertically. My conclusions are I probably would have missed it if I was just hunting just in deep.

Interesting result - General vs Deep 30-04-16

Back to top Go down

Interesting result - General vs Deep Empty Re: Interesting result - General vs Deep

Post  kon61 Sun May 01, 2016 7:36 pm

G'day SteelPat. Welcome to the forum

Your conclusions are quite right. Each search mode has a certain sensitivity level (General being a little more sensitive to smaller & finer gold than XDeep,High Yeild even more so) hence the faint signal being heard in General,as compared to it being not heard in XDeep. If your target was to be of the same in size,but thicker,more solid in composition/weight,or sitting flat as opposed to sitting vertical (giving more target surface area),it would have been picked up better by the Deep mode.
Keep in mind that each/all search modes,have been designed for specific reasons/purposes & all have their limits or cut off points,to certain size/type targets,& XDeep,being specifically designed for the multi-ouncer in mind and above,is one of them.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Interesting result - General vs Deep Empty Re: Interesting result - General vs Deep

Post  Qld Sandy Tue May 03, 2016 12:35 pm

If you are comparing a target in HY, General and Deep, and the target is less than about 100 grams in size, then Deep will usually give a poor result against the other 2 modes.
This means that you should be using modes other than deep if the nuggets found in that area are expected to be less than 100 grams.
Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09, 2016 4:31 pm

Am still learning the 7000, ( after a year or so) Have never used General, as I have been told, if I do not want to pick up bird shot do not use this setting, as quiet a few of my finds have been smaller than Birdshot. I use HY and sometime goes over the area again in deep.

Comments appreciated

Peter

Back to top Go down