Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detectors and traveling overseas

+2
nero_design
Out4Fun
6 posters

Go down

Detectors and traveling overseas Empty Detectors and traveling overseas

Post  Out4Fun Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi Guys,

This is a question for the experienced travelers, I am going to Europe in a few days and wanted to take my X-Terra for some detecting over there. I planned to put the control box and the coil into my hand luggage and the stem into the suit case, but I am unsure if that is allowed or if the control box and/or the coil would trigger the "red light" with the authorities. Can somebody share his experience please.

Thank you.

Cheers
Ralph
Out4Fun
Out4Fun
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Detectors and traveling overseas Empty Re: Detectors and traveling overseas

Post  nero_design Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:27 pm

Ralph, my suggestion would be to phone the airline and verify it with them since they too will be only to happy to suggest the best way to bring your detector with you.

Your X-Terra coil and control box can also be placed in your luggage for check-in as it shouldn't cause alarm as long as you remove the batteries before travel. But if you want to take the control box and coil on board with your hand luggage, you can then turn the device on (and you probably will be asked to do this) to demonstrate to customs that it is not dangerous. These days I have often been asked to prove that the cameras I brought with me are functional by turning them on... as well as my iPod and laptops, during the check-in process. If they can see that the device is a metal detector and you can show what it does when asked, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

But a call to the airline should give you all the information you might need.

My problem is bringing a GPX overseas because I have to carry it in a special Pelican Case with foam liner for the control box and the battery is a lithium type and has to be kept insulated and seperate. Last week a woman in the USA started a fire in the luggage hold of a plane when her rechargeable hairdryer started in her checked bag. Apparently lithium triggered fires are very hard to put out. The TSA is now considering banning all lithium batteries from flights. Another fire started on a courier plane and this too was triggered by lithium batteries that were not correctly packed. They are considering getting all passengers to hand in devices with such batteries to the hostess who will place them in special bins which can be extinguished in the event of a fire. Nobody seems to have noticed that ALL these fires were started as a result of poor quality Chinese made lithium batteries. I'm getting sick of all their third-rate products!!

Remember those workers who got nerve damage during the manufacture of 'Apple iPhones' in China the other day? The ones who identified the product they were manufacturing only when investigators showed them a photograph of an iPhone? Well, all those people were paralyzed by chemicals that were banned by Apple and were actually working in a Counterfeit manufacturing plant that was making fake iPhones. So sad and yet a perfect example of why their cheap and nasty lithium batteries are causing fires.

PS: Greece, Turkey etc restrict the importing of metal detectors. In Turkey it's said to be illegal. France was about to ban them too last time I heard.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Out4Fun Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 am

Thank you nero_design for your quick answer. I am flying with 3 different airlines and I am afraid that a call will not be as sufficient as one would expect - the guy actually checking my luggage might have different ideas than the person on the phone. Hence I thought additionally calling on the direct experience of people might be a good indication of what is possible and what not. My intention is keeping coil and control box together as it would make it possible to demonstrate the system at any time.

Your remark regarding the legality of importing a detector is raising a point which did not even cross my mind. Luckily I am going to Germany and Minelabs are sold over there, so that should not be a problem - however it is another point to be checked just to make sure.....

Thanks
Cheers
Ralph

Out4Fun
Out4Fun
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:08 am

Gday

I would have thought that the main concern of any airline would be the battery, and I dont see that they would have any reason to be worried about the coil or the control box, providing you are carrying it your hand luggage and they are able to see it and have you explain what it is.

If you were to stash it in your suitcase for instance then they would be suspicious, particularly when it goes through the xray machine, it makes them a tad nervous when they see a box full of wires and electrical components and switches etc.

The other option if you have the time to, is to post the unit ahead of you and pick it up when you get there, also if you have concerns about the battery then as you say minelabs are sold in Germany so just buy or hire a battery while you are there to save any hassle.

They do pick stuff up by exray, I went on a cruise and on returning to Fremantle and going through customs I was asked to open one of the bags for them to inspect a suspicious looking container, half filled with some mysterious substance, with everybody looking at us they pulled out a half a jar of coffee that we kept in our room for the early morning fix. Very Happy

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:03 am

Yes those Pelican Cases are great. So are Hardigg and UK(underwater kinetics) cases.

You can also use bubble wrap(with elastic bands). They say to pack-attach the owners(instruction) manual to the metal detector housing in your suitcase. This makes it self explanatory if it is opened up without you being there.

I wonder if putting the detector housing(and maybe coils) in a large 'lead bag'(the type used to put camera film in to prevent airport x-ray damage) would be a good idea??

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Detectors and traveling overseas Empty GPX Travel Cases

Post  coles525 Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:53 pm

I've been doing some online searching (including info about the other cases mentioned in this topic), regarding the cost/type of travel cases a detector can be placed in.

I found a "new" website / aussie company ("opening special") which say they sell "Custom built sturdy Aluminium case for Minelad detectors". It fits SD 2000 onwards to the current GX 5000 (straight shafts only).

Accessories page - Swan Hill Detectors

Also another question; I can't seem to find the specific topic on here again, but am wondering about the US$18.95 Universal battery charger "Compatable with- Explorer II, Explorer SE, Quattro MP, Sovereign GT, Musketeer Advantage, and Eureka Gold" detectors.

Would it / is it also compatible with the Excalibur II underwater detector I wonder? (I'm new to the Excalibur) In which I would love a chager that actually told me the battery was actually full!

US online site - Universal battery charger[url][/url][url][/url]

Cheers,

Josh.

PS: I'm also going to Europe (Malaysia Airlines), but in May. Mainly having a week in England with the detector.

PPS: I actually don't have the GPX 5000 yet, BUT was the luckey latest winner via Gold Gem & Treasure Mag. I recieved the call nearly 3 weeks ago, which was told I will be here, but not straight away.
coles525
coles525
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslinger Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:53 pm

hi folks
i travel to and from Australia to the uk every year well the last 5 years any way and i put my gpx4000 control box in my hand luggage
and the battery and coils ect go in the hold luggage and i have never had a proplem with airport security or customs
so i wouldnt worrie too much i think i have only been asked once what the box was and when i told them what it was there was no problem
goldslinger
goldslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:00 pm

coles525 wrote:I've been doing some online searching (including info about the other cases mentioned in this topic), regarding the cost/type of travel cases a detector can be placed in.

I found a "new" website / aussie company ("opening special") which say they sell "Custom built sturdy Aluminium case for Minelad detectors". It fits SD 2000 onwards to the current GX 5000 (straight shafts only).

Cheers,

Josh.

hi josh
those case's that you seen on the swan hill add are made by solar gold australia (near bendigo vic)
they cost $275 and are fantastic...the only down point is if you use a coil larger than a 15" you have to
remove the coil, but 15" and smaller will fit while attatched.
the detector fits realy well and does not move around in case,they are good quality
they have a spot for your battery and two others for your chargers and other stuff.
you can also fit a second coil in there also.
they can fit all the stuff you get with the gpx 5000 (two coils,harness,battery,chargers,finds bag)
i got mine of ebay..just search for detector case or solargold australia.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  coles525 Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Thx for the info. Sorry about the link, shall paste it again as it's missing a few letters.

Cases for GPX detectors.

coles525
coles525
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  coles525 Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:37 pm

fencejumper wrote:
coles525 wrote:I've been doing some online searching (including info about the other cases mentioned in this topic), regarding the cost/type of travel cases a detector can be placed in.

Cheers,

Josh.

hi josh
those case's that you seen on the swan hill add are made by solar gold australia (near bendigo vic)
they cost $275 and are fantastic...the only down point is if you use a coil larger than a 15" you have to
remove the coil, but 15" and smaller will fit while attatched.
the detector fits realy well and does not move around in case,they are good quality
they have a spot for your battery and two others for your chargers and other stuff.
you can also fit a second coil in there also.
they can fit all the stuff you get with the gpx 5000 (two coils,harness,battery,chargers,finds bag)
i got mine of ebay..just search for detector case or solargold australia.
cheers

Was just wondering after seeing the picture again, is it secure with a lock and key for plane travel (or even so no one can open it!)? As the picture was too small for me to notice.

Also, if I may ask was postage cheap?

Josh.
coles525
coles525
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 pm

hi josh
no there is no lock on the two latches,but being made of metel you could pop rivet a lock on it.
or ask solar gold if this could be done for you at your cost (i'm sure it would be bugger all extra cost)
i got a mate to pick mine up and the ebay listing says pick up but paul at solargold is realy
good to deal with and i'm sure he would deliver it to a courier if it could not be sent thru aus post,
you would have to ask him about this, just send him a message thru the ebay message system.
i found them to be fantastic do deal with so you should be able to work something out.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:25 am

Hi Cole, no doubt the charger could be adaptable if you could source the correct fitting to suit the Excaliburs charging socket. But honestly I wouldn't risk mucking around and possibly frying a perfectly good battery, the charger supplied with your Excalibur will do the job admirably.

Congrats also winning the GPX5000!! It's not often we hear from an actual winner.

Cheers!

Steve

Back to top Go down

Detectors and traveling overseas Empty Contents Insurance! GPX 5000....

Post  coles525 Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Might anyone be able to help me working out IF ANY travel insurance companies ALLOW an item to be insured for $6700.00?

I've looked @ 3 or so different companies, which the max allowed is $1500 OR LESS, for 1 item.

I've recieved my detector last week or so, and wanting to now "upgrade" my insurance from the Excallibur II, to the GPX.

All I want is a company that will insure it, as well as the case (swan hill stel case) I'm collecting tomorrow...

Destination: Europe
When: May
coles525
coles525
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Detectors and traveling overseas Empty Hi Ralph

Post  Phantom Fri May 06, 2011 4:33 pm

You say you are going to Europe to use your detector. Do not bring it to Spain, it is illegal to use a detector here. You can get a heavy fine and have your detector taken off you. I think France might be the same.

It might be a good idea to google-check on the metal detecting laws in the part of Europe you plan on visiting.

This link has some info on the laws in Europe.

http://www.ncmd.co.uk/law.html

Phantom
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-05-02

Back to top Go down