Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Detector for coil?

4 posters

Go down

Which Detector for coil? Empty Which Detector for coil?

Post  flyrock Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi all

Some advice require please with some explanations why you would provide that advice.

This year my wife and I will be detecting with a 5000 and a newly released 4500. We will have 5 coils in our arsenal - 1 x 18" CT Elite (when it comes out), 2 x 14" CT Elites, 1 x 11" CT Elite & 1 x std ML 11", all mono. We are planning on putting in 7 months this year.

Most likely scenario when we patch hunt virgin ground will be my wife swinging the 14" elite, then changing down to 11" elite after lunch. (uses a pro-swing with both J struts) and me starting with the 18" possibly changing down to the 14" elite, just for size convenience. I understand there is minimal weight difference in the 18" v's 14" and I might swing it all day - wait till we get it and see!

I have swung the 14" elite all last season on the 5000, so know the weight. I am going to run the 14"s and 18" in enhance (WA) and the 11"s in fine gold (5000), so basically my wife will swing the 5000 and I, the 4500.

As the 5000 has some advantages over the 4500, would anyone recommend running the 18" on the 5000 instead of the 4500? If so, why?

Cheers

flyrock
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Which Detector for coil? Empty Re: Which Detector for coil?

Post  deutran Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi flyrock
Not sure how you feel but I find changing coils a real pain so I like to leave the 14"'s on unless we have a specific reason to use the 11" or the 18" when we get it.I prefer the 14" for ground coverage over the 11" as it still has adequate sensitivity for small gold.
If you use the 18" most likely your chasing depth on larger gold so the 4500 would be a good option in enhance and the smaller coils for the 5000 in fine gold.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:10 am

i whould try sens extra with the 18' if ground allows a little more ground noise but you should here those deep quiet targets??? all the best on ya mission!!! i run this when swinging my 25' mono in saying that fine gold also works well trial and error mate at least you have plenty of time to find out what works for ya !!!!

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:37 am

hi flyrock I think that with that choice of coils I would be using all you have ,I have a new 4500 and the 11 & 14 run well on it .I would put the 11 on the wife's detector as its not to heavy and run the 14 on yours with using these coils they are both very good on finding all sizes of gold, any trash that will be found making it a easer area to detect with the 18 Very Happy
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-03-31

https://servimg.com

Back to top Go down