Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safety ideas for in the bush

+2
Digginerup
Jack outwest
6 posters

Go down

Safety ideas for in the bush Empty Safety ideas for in the bush

Post  Guest Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:23 pm

A lot has been written lately about safety and security whilst prospecting, particularly in WA.

As I live remotely by myself (apart from Miss Elvis) this has weighed heavily on my mind. Not just unsavory charactors, but all manner of critters that wish to, or can cause you harm.

Over the last few months I've been working on a couple of defensive devises that can offer piece of mind.

What I was striving for was ease of use no matter a persons stature or physical ability, easy to produce or affordable if you require to get one made, no license required and small enough to carry in with your other safety gear like EPIRP, First aid kit etc.

The First one I mate from timber and I call it Steve's Terrific Ingenious Critter Killer. Or  S.T.I.C.K. for short.

Safety ideas for in the bush 1_jpgd5812032-de23-446a-a65f-e19fbc0e9d1aOriginal_zpshzgbvpxk

The idea being that if something or someone untoward approaches or threatens you, a few sharp whumps with my S.T.I.C.K. to the head area should render it to a stunned state affording you time to flee to safety.

A more severe flogging with my S.T.I.C.K. can cause unconsciousness or even death. So my S.T.I.C.K. can also be used for food gathering.

The next one I made from rock. I call it Steve's Terrific Oval Nuisance Eradicator. Or S.T.O.N.E. for short.

Safety ideas for in the bush Key%20holder_zpspkxxgysk

With this one, the idea being you throw my S.T.O.N.E. at your assailant causing it to flee, not you. The downside to this one is that often more than one S.T.O.N.E. may be required.

Anyway, feel free to make your own S.T.I.C.K. or S.T.O.N.E. If you get stuck I am only too happy to send plans through via email as well as instructions for use.

Those of you who are not too handy with tools or pressed for time, I can make the S.T.I.C.K. for $4.50 each plus $12.50 postage Australia wide.

The S.T.O.N.E. I can make for $2.50 each plus $10.00 postage .

Email me for bulk rates.

Please remember these are not toys but serious defensive tools. I will not be held responsible for any accidents, injuries or death through your miss use.

I highly recommend much practice in a safe and secure area before carrying one in the field.

Cheers,

Steve

Back to top Go down

Safety ideas for in the bush Empty Re: Safety ideas for in the bush

Post  Guest Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Hey Steve, I hope your have these items patented, and have the names trade marked, and you have secured exclusive distribution rights, other wise you maybe up sh!t creek without a stick........ or a stone. Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Steve , well thought out mate , now the heat has hit ' we will be looking forward to more of your original brilliant ideas   cheers

Just one question Embarassed what do you do about giving the ferret a run out there  ? or are in training  to be a monk   Shocked

Have fun
Jack .
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi Steve,  T24  your obviously a thinking man with ample time on his plate, I commend you for the effort you have made regarding the safety of your fellow bushman T06 naturally without wishing to corrupt your original design I was wondering if perhaps you have ever considered attaching the S.T.O.N.E  to the end of the S.T.I.C.K., perhaps one could use it in this fashion to strike your game or threat with even greater force........... not unlike this handy item used mainly by domesticated females during stress events  T02  ,  V19  its only early days yet but I was thinking maybe we could call it Clever Little Utility Banger or C.L.U.B. or a more refined one might be called an Auxiliary Xenolithic Eradicator or A.X.E. if you like,  V19  what do you think eh?, in light of the previous design flaw that you pointed out resulting in the loss of the stone, maybe it would just be a handy place to store the S.T.O.N.E. eh? , anyway keep up the good work, I am pretty sure this is how all the great things we enjoy began.

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:19 am

Your an ideas man Steve, Necessity if the mother of invention.
It seems like you've got all the bases covered and can protect yourself in any situation.
P.s Just remember to wear your hat in the midday sun.

Captn

Back to top Go down

Post  Peteren Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:57 pm

I use one of these, it's legal in SA and will punch an 8mm ball bearing through a galvanised iron fence

Safety ideas for in the bush IMG_0913%20Small_zpsahitjkvq

It is my last resort after
talking
begging
running
and trying to be nice
Peteren
Peteren
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandfather Johnson Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:26 pm

Does it come with a 15 shot magazine?

Grandfather Johnson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Great!  very handy......if your ever attacked by a galvanised iron fence  Rolling Eyes    lol!

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Peteren Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:58 pm

It comes with a 100 shot mag, that's about how many ball bearings I can get into one pocket

It is used more effectively with 10mm paintballs, much less lethal and still sting like all hell
Peteren
Peteren
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Safety ideas for in the bush Empty catapults

Post  mogy Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:40 am

Through my mid teens I and friends always carried a pair of yackers , wooden ones, and they are indeed a weapon , small birds squirrels and the odd rabite all fell to these little weapons , for better acurqacy just use marbles, helps with the consistant weight .

mogy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:15 pm

I travel a lot in a caravan and am always concerned about my safety.  Someone did suggest me taking along a lobster gun (just in the van not out detecting) but I thought that was a bit too much.  Settled on a large can of whasp spray that sprays up to 3 meters. Not that it would be much help against a gun or knife Sad but could spray it into offenders face maybe. I have had some martial arts training but it was some time ago.

Hopefully, I won't come across a dangerous situation.  I have a Sat phone and GPS plus a breadcrumb type trail tracker in the car.  I rely a fair bit on intuition, if it doesn't feel right I move on.

Cheers
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Back to top Go down