Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping depth without false signals

+10
coreytroy
kevlorraine2
ichi-ban
Detrackozi
alchemist
Redfin
kon61
deutran
vasilis
goldquest
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Keeping depth without false signals - Page 2 Empty Re: Keeping depth without false signals

Post  coreytroy Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:11 pm

Out in the Vic gold fields at Whipstick today for my 2nd outing with the Z.
Again i found either no signals for 1-2hrs at a time, or i found false signals.
The YouTube video shows a hole i dug that appears to have signals all-round it in the removed soil.
I have been running in manual GB, theshold on about 21 and sentitivity at 9. High yield, difficult.
Not the best of video's. Other video not worth uploading as you could not hear the signals.

Am begining to think about downgrading to a SDC as i cant seem to get a smooth GPZ, but will give it till Sunday before deciding on anything serious.
Am going to try Inglewood area tomorrow if anyone is out and about with their beeping wand.

coreytroy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2009-04-22

Back to top Go down

Keeping depth without false signals - Page 2 Empty Re: Keeping depth without false signals

Post  Guest Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:43 pm

G'day coreytroy

I just watched your youtube vid and in my opinion the 7000 is NOT ground balanced and this is the problem with all the false signals.

Do you use the ferrite to ground balance over? if not then you most definitely should.

The settings you have in the post that your using should be good, but if not GB properly then it won't matter what settings your using it will sound like that.

Using fixed GB is good but you still need to GB over the ferrite to get it right.

So here is what I do, have the 7000 in fixed GB and put the ferrite down and swing over it with the quick track button held in while doing this, octopus or figure 8 pattern over the ferrite, and release the quick track button when the detector is quiet, which is when it has a good GB. Leave the detector in fixed GB and go detecting.

Check the GB every now and again if going onto different ground types and if getting a signal from the ferrite then repeat the above procdure and then keep detecting.

If this is not helping the get the GB right then there is some other problem, as the ground in the video does not look like salty/alkaline ground which will always cause major problems for the 7000

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:12 pm

Wow! Q33   What I know of the 7000 you could engrave on a pinhead  Rolling Eyes  but that sure did sound like a target between 28 and 30 sec mark, good luck getting it sorted.

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  coreytroy Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I use the ferrite.
I used manual gb today, put the fettite on the ground and do the ocy thing.
Once the quicktrak button is released, i wave over the ferrite to listen for noise.

Mostly i have no signal from the ferrite, sometimes a very slight sound.
If i dig a hole i also re-check the gb this way to the side of the hole also.

I did a gb with the ferrite, the audio is a bit low in the video. I then put a split shot sinker down to test For sensitivity.
I pretty much get no signal from the ferrite once balanced.

coreytroy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:04 pm

Wow mate, I have no idea why it kicks up such a row then. Your doing everything that should be done to keep the 7000 beast under control.

I have detected in the whipstick with the 4500 but not with the 7000 and I must say I never thought the ground was that bad.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  jasong Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:07 am

Have you tried detecting in different spots with different ground? If you are getting no signals at all then getting a hole like in that first vid where the signal seems to be everywhere then that's very similar to what I've seen when I hit little salt lenses or also sometimes mini lenses of extremely hot clays that are about basketball size. Both produce the same effect where the dirt sounds off in the hole, out of the hole, and all around the hole where the tailings I dug are at.

Putting it in autotrack will dampen the hot clay effects when you dig it and then move the coil over it for about 10 seconds. If its salt the autotrack doesn't dampen the signal. Might give autotrack a try and see what happens too?

jasong
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  coreytroy Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:09 pm

After another day with a vanishing signal, i have a thought.

Reading through the GPZ manual it states to set the Sensitivity to obtain false signals, then reduce to eliminate them.

Maybe my Z is very sensitive. Am going to try a Loooow Sensitivity like 1-3 tomorrow to see if it improves things.

coreytroy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Corey Troy,after watching your video's closely,I find nothing unusual,or out of the ordinary,about your GPZ 7000. In High Yield/Manual ground balance,on top or over pockets of highly mineralized soil/clay domes,expect to get exactly the signal responses that you are getting. High Yield,is not designed to handle highly variable pockets of mineralized ground,without the use of low or high smoothing in addition to your soil in "Difficult" position,unless you are prepared to handle the odd pocket of highly mineralized ground,through false signals.
Because of the extreme sensitivity output (especially when the 7000 is used in High Yield) Manual ground balance on the 7000,needs to be re-ground balanced more often than any past SD/GP/GPX detector/coil combination.
For the type of ground your searching over,whilst in High Yield/Difficult,try using auto ground balance,low smoothing or high smoothing and upping the gain,to a tolerable,ground noise level & most your ground falsing should dis-appear.

Cheers Kon. T25
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:00 pm

kon61 wrote:Corey Troy,after watching your video's closely,I find nothing unusual,or out of the ordinary,about your GPZ 7000. In High Yield/Manual ground balance,on top or over pockets of highly mineralized soil/clay domes,expect to get exactly the signal responses that you are getting. High Yield,is not designed to handle highly variable pockets of mineralized ground,without the use of low or high smoothing in addition to your soil in "Difficult" position,unless you are prepared to handle the odd pocket of highly mineralized ground,through false signals.
Because of the extreme sensitivity output (especially when the 7000 is used in High Yield) Manual ground balance on the 7000,needs to be re-ground balanced more often than any past SD/GP/GPX detector/coil combination.
For the type of ground your searching over,whilst in High Yield/Difficult,try using auto ground balance,low smoothing or high smoothing and upping the gain,to a tolerable,ground noise level & most your ground falsing should dis-appear.

Cheers Kon. T25

Damn you Kon
You give away far too much info Wink Shocked Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:02 pm

Exactly what Kon said. Id also slow down your swing speed. The Zed hates a fast swing, you'll miss targets and create false ones. Good luck.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2015-03-02

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeIyXg5rKxtrVNJPEM7FAgw

Back to top Go down

Post  coreytroy Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:32 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

Had no false signals the next day out with sensitivity at about 4-5.
Alot of shot found throughout the day.

Will prob be back to Vic in October.

coreytroy
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2