Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to get my head around "Ozi" ( not purchased yet)

+2
GoldstalkerGPX
HHH
6 posters

Go down

Trying to get my head around "Ozi" ( not purchased yet) Empty Trying to get my head around "Ozi" ( not purchased yet)

Post  rc62burke Thu May 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi All
I need some advice on “Oziexplorer”, this is what I want to do.
I would like to use “Ozi” as a moving maps navigator device on a quad with a GPS receiver, I will need to be able to ad waypoints to “Ozi” from my hand held Garmin 76s GPS & vice versa, I would also like to be able to utilise “Google Earth” images as overlay’s on “Ozi” as well as “Geological” maps.
I intend to use a “Samsung” android device, what I need to know is what spec’s should I be looking at for the Tablet or “Samsung note” to ensure that it all runs as it should??
What make/ model GPS receiver would be best??
Do I need to use base maps? or something similar?
Is there a way to load tracks & waypoints from the Garmin to “Google Earth”???? if so do I need a specific program???
I have been using GPS devices for 10+ year. But have never tried to load the info to a PC or from PC to GPS, so I need a bit of advice on how to best achieve this.

If any- one is a “Guru” on this stuff I would really appreciate some advice/ help
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Trying to get my head around "Ozi" ( not purchased yet) Empty Re: Trying to get my head around "Ozi" ( not purchased yet)

Post  HHH Thu May 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Hi Lee
I ain't no guru but Oziexplorer will do all that you have requested.You can transfer data and
map files between it and Oziexplorer for Android.Have it on your phone or tablet and use it as
a gps.No need for a gps reciever.Upload all your Garmin gps data direct to Ozi, edit to what you
require,return to gps, Android or filestorage.I personally use my Samsung phablet (note 3 )
on my quad.You must have Oziexplorer for ozi android to run without triaI overlaid.I think
both can be free trialed.
Regards H

HHH
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-05-20

Back to top Go down

Trying to get my head around "Ozi" ( not purchased yet) Empty Re: Trying to get my head around "Ozi" ( not purchased yet)

Post  Guest Thu May 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Lee, so many questions, so little time. Laughing Mate if I was you I would get onto Detrackozi, what he don't know about GPS and mapping isn't worth knowing, he is a member here.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sat May 23, 2015 10:19 am

Hi All
So okay I am a little better off today, a guy at work does a bit of what I want to do.
I downloaded "Garmin Basecamp" & can now view my tracks & waypoints & edit such on my laptop, he is going to give me a copy of Topo maps so that is the next step.

I think the big hurdle will be Oziexplorer, so any-one with any suggestions on a particular "Samsung device" to run Ozi would be good I don't know what gig size I should go for & have not really had a look yet, any suggestions on GPS receiver if required would be good to, thanks.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat May 23, 2015 10:38 am

did you get pm?

I used garmin basecamp when I first got my gps, when I got ozi I deleted basecamp and am glad I have never seen it since
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2015 10:59 am

rc62burke wrote:Hi All
So okay I am a little better off today, a guy at work does a bit of what I want to do.
I downloaded "Garmin Basecamp" & can now view my tracks & waypoints & edit such on my laptop, he is going to give me a copy of Topo maps so that is the next step.

I think the big hurdle will be Oziexplorer, so any-one with any suggestions on a particular "Samsung device" to run Ozi would be good I don't know what gig size I should go for & have not really had a look yet, any suggestions on GPS receiver if required would be good to, thanks.

G'day Lee

Ozie it's self doesn't take up much room its the maps that take up most of the Gigabyte space on the SD card, so get an Android device that can take the biggest SD card you can afford, we use 32 gb cards and just swap cards for locations, like have WA maps on one card NSW on another and QLD on another for eg.

You can download the Ozie App from their web site, we have the full Ozie on the main laptop and the Ozie Apps on a tablet and the both Android mobile phones. This works well.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sat May 23, 2015 11:53 am

GoldstalkerGPX wrote:did you get pm?

I used garmin basecamp when I first got my gps, when I got ozi I deleted basecamp and am glad I have never seen it since

Hey Mate
Yes I got the PM, had a quick read but need to have another look at it & get back to you with ????

I just went for base camp to get started before I get the other stuff sorted, don't want to jump in too quick I need to be more informed as this tech stuff is not my strong point scratch scratch
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sat May 23, 2015 11:55 am

Hey Dave
Thanks for that it all helps
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Peteren Sat May 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Dave, what scale maps do you use in Ozi, 1:250,000 or something else?
Peteren
Peteren
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2015 4:01 pm

Peteren wrote:Dave, what scale maps do you use in Ozi, 1:250,000 or something else?

Yes the NatMap topo 1:250,000, and also 1:100,000 in Geo type maps, I find the Gold & Ghost maps by Greg Harewood very good as well. These are for WA only
http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/Greg_Harewood+Gold___Ghosts_WA_100k_Digital_Map_USB_.aspx

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Trying to get my head around "Ozi" ( not purchased yet) Empty Ozi

Post  condor223 Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:58 pm

I use Ozi, I have both the PC version and Android. On the PC version you can create Waypoints and Tracks, which can then be uploaded to an the Android device, which can then be followed on moving map. You CAN NOT create user tracks on the Android version. You can however copy the tracklogs of areas travelled back to the PC version.

The latest version of Ozi on my PC will load Google maps, Satellite view and other internet based mapping for you to research at home. Tracks and waypoints created during this research can then be transferred to your Android device. To use Google map etc, you need to download the plug in from the Ozi site.

My experience is that 1:250,000 maps are too big a scale, more detail is needed. I use both the 100k maps of S.A. VIC NSW & QLD. I also have both VIC and NSW covered in 1:25,000 scale, which are the best you will get in topo maps. I use this scale to navigate the forest tracks in VIC.

There are many other functionalities on the PC version that are not available on the Android version, which is a Lite version to operate on Android. Created Tracks and Waypoints as well as those logged through moving map can also be copied to pretty well any handheld GPS, I have the Garmin E20. That way, you don't need to have any detailed mapping on a handheld, you just follow the breadcrumb trail etc.

Tracklogs and waypoints I create on the E20 can also be uploaded to both versions of Ozi.

condor223
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Scolers Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:54 am

I use both Ozi and Garmin ... have a 72s similar to yours.

I don't want to repeat what others have said but will make these few relevant points ...

You will need BOTH base camps AND topo mpas for use with both. It's a pain in the bum but has to be done.

You can import/ export all waypoints etc from Garmin to Ozi no probs. I use the Garrnin maps DVD for my hand held Garmin but have a truckload of large scale (1:100k and 1:25k) topo maps for use with Ozi.

The Natmap series 1;250k is crap for this sort of bushwork that you do.

I use the Hema 7" for all my stuff but a good quality tablet is fine and should serve you well.

Hope this helps.

Cool

Scolers
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-07-09

Back to top Go down