Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tenements on to Google Earth and use with Gps

3 posters

Go down

Tenements on to Google Earth and use with Gps Empty Tenements on to Google Earth and use with Gps

Post  calcretekid Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi everyone,just thought I would just let you know that for the past 4 months I have been downloading seleted tenements from the Tengraph and putting onto google earth then hook up my garmin gps and use as a moving map to take me to the tenement of my choice and know exactly where I am in regards to the tenement.it is accurate to within 4meters as I have tested it on boundary pegs with great success.I also have used it for pegging tennement boundarys.It is all free to use and you know where you are all the time because the tenement is overlayed on google earth.I can switch to ozie explorer for my geo maps anytime to cross reference the ground type or I can get an eagles view of the ground as I drive across it.I have found it very helpful.Just thought you might like to know that the tecnology is out there to be used.I have shown this system to members of APLA and also to Matt from Finders Keepers in Kalgoorlie and all said that it was exciting news to help the small prospector in his quest for finding gold and for helping him be on the right tenement and not stray to areas where he should not be.Hope this helps you fellow prospectors in the future.
Regards Calcrete Kid
Billy

calcretekid
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Tenements on to Google Earth and use with Gps Empty Re: Tenements on to Google Earth and use with Gps

Post  hoolahoopa Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:10 pm

Gday billy, have tried to do exactly what you have done but have no luck when out in the field Tenements on to Google Earth and use with Gps Icon_mad . Mate any ideas cause i can get it to work at home. do you have a internet connection when out and about?
cheers in advance.

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Tenements on to Google Earth and use with Gps Empty Re: Tenements on to Google Earth and use with Gps

Post  calcretekid Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:47 pm

Gday Hoolahoopa.I am not sure what you have as far as GPS and laptop go but I do not use internet once I leave home to go to a destination,I simply hook up my Garmin Etrex CXvista to my laptop with google earth on my screen and activate my gps from google earth screen and follow my path to the destination on my laptop screen,eg pending tenament and once I am there I know exactly where I am in regards to the tenament.
Are you able to get the gps working from google earth page and drive around to see your position change on your screen.Just get back to me on how far you have gone with this and where it falls over for you and I will do my best
to help you.MY email address is william.judd@yahoo.com.au
Cheers Calcrete Kid
Billy

calcretekid
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslinger Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Hi i use a similer set up when im out and about what i think you need to do is when you are at home start google earth zoom to the area that you want to go to at about 1 klm and load up your cach file of that area then befor you switch earth off diconect from the internet first so when your out and about the area that you want will be stored in the earth cach and you can then start earth up and drive around knowing where you are
goldslinger
goldslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Back to top Go down