Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to remove noise from debris Gpz 7000.

+7
Jack outwest
Jay Gold
goldquest
chris68
Jonathan Porter
gravel
hoolahoopa
11 posters

Go down

How to remove noise from debris Gpz 7000. Empty How to remove noise from debris Gpz 7000.

Post  gravel Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:06 pm

Their appears no way to stop the new 14 inch coil from sounding off from ground litter either brushing
the top of the coil or when sweeping over it.
Is there any members who detect in scrubby areas that has managed to eliminate the constant triggering
of signals form organic ground litters.
I have yet to read any mention of it on this forum.
Perhaps JP might have an answer, hope he stumbles on my post, thanks.

gravel
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-04-15

Back to top Go down

How to remove noise from debris Gpz 7000. Empty noise from scraping

Post  hoolahoopa Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:53 pm

gday gravel,
mine does the exact same thing though when you actually bump it it does not sound off. was actually just doing some reading of the minelab article (KBA_24-1ZVT) and this is said on page 3.
"The GPZ 7000 coils are specifically
designed to have minimal response to
scraping and knocks to the coil housing,
which can cause annoying false signals
when in use; e.g. some PI coils suffer from this. While this knock
and scraping insensitivity feature increases the weight of the
coil, it significantly improves performance through minimising
false signals.
possibly a bad batch of coils maybe?
I was cleaning my detector up today and for only 3 days of detecting there was a lot of dirt under the skid plate much more than normal, so in future i wont be taping it up, as it did no good and will be just pulling it off and cleaning it each time.
just be careful though as the skid plate splits real easy at the points where it clips over.
cheers.

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

How to remove noise from debris Gpz 7000. Empty Re: How to remove noise from debris Gpz 7000.

Post  gravel Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:11 am

Hello, hoolahoopa
Ive already checked and re-taped, the coil runs well without the litter, and its not until i open
the ground clearing with my foot that the falsies generated subside.
As you mention, knocking the coil does not create the signalling.
I know of at least 4 other operators who complain about the issue, experienced operators.
I have worked full-time for 4 years and have taken a hit to the pocket because this machine
seems by nature, not defect, to be unable to handle the debris.
I have been frustrated by the fact Minelab left their retailers high and dry without prior knowledge of
the 7000 causing them issues with information they can contribute to their customers.
I dont feel like forking out more money on this machine to get it checked and returned as ok and add
to the cost of what i reckon is a fault in design.
Anyhow, hopefully some other members can in time inform the post if they experience similar issues, gravel.

gravel
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2015-04-15

Back to top Go down

How to remove noise from debris Gpz 7000. Empty Re: How to remove noise from debris Gpz 7000.

Post  Jonathan Porter Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:10 am

PM sent
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 04, 2015 10:24 pm

From what I have been able to gather from ML. The zed may sound off on wet grass and leaf litter in Gold Mode general, in which case try High Yield.
If the unit is still noisy in HY then coil May be faulty. So I guess if you are having this sort of problem then a chat to ML would be worth while.

Back to top Go down

Post  chris68 Tue May 05, 2015 5:30 pm

My 7000 runs like a dream, no noises from the coil, runs nice and smooth and picks up gold very easy, I am very happy with mine so far, I run it in high yield, difficult, and smoothing on low and sencitivity on 9.

chris68
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Tue May 05, 2015 7:20 pm

I never had the problems that you mentioned, my Zed run smooth and very quiet on general/difficult, in some place even on general/normal, are you sure you do not have problems with the coil? I would contact Minelab if I had your problems.
Cheers
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Tue May 05, 2015 10:00 pm

Mine runs like a dream in High Yield, but as soon as i switch it to General it falses on sticks, small bushes etc. Its a real pain. It still has the performance in 'General' but way too noisy.

I rang minelab today and told them of my situation, the technician told me to run the detector in 'High Yield' for a bit and before I switch to 'General' conduct a factory reset to dump all the ground data. After doing a full reset, re-GB with a walk and sweep and then try 'General'.

Seems a fair bit effort just to change one setting.

Is there another answer?

Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2015-03-02

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeIyXg5rKxtrVNJPEM7FAgw

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 05, 2015 10:45 pm

JayMowgrass wrote:Mine runs like a dream in High Yield, but as soon as i switch it to General it falses on sticks, small bushes etc. Its a real pain. It still has the performance in 'General' but way too noisy.

I rang minelab today and told them of my situation, the technician told me to run the detector in 'High Yield' for a bit and before I switch to 'General' conduct a factory reset to dump all the ground data. After doing a full reset, re-GB with a walk and sweep and then try 'General'.

Is there another answer?

It seems like there making it up on the run mate.

I also put a call into Minelab today, still waiting for them to ring me back, they must be to busy, because I told them mine ain't running like a dream it's a real dog, it won't ground balance properly it won't do a factory reset as per manual, the battery charger won't charge on 12v only on 240v which is a pain in the ass when camped out, barley hear a 1oz lead from12" and a half garm piece has to be nearly rubbed on the coil to get a signal.

Runs shithouse on most ground except reasonably quiet ground, gone back to using the old faithful 4500 for now till this mess is sorted out.

bloody annoyed yes
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed May 06, 2015 7:26 am

Dave give me a shout on 0427 394 651 I can help.

Cheers
JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed May 06, 2015 7:36 am

JayMowgrass wrote:Mine runs like a dream in High Yield, but as soon as i switch it to General it falses on sticks, small bushes etc. Its a real pain. It still has the performance in 'General' but way too noisy.

Is there another answer?

Just a suggestion till things get sorted for you, get some soft compression rubber with the sticky back (can get it at hardware stores by the meter, its black in colour and comes in different hardness's). Place a piece in the center of your coil with the skid plate off then replace the skid plate, you have to make sure it is the SOFT variety of the rubber OK or else it will put too much pressure on the edges of the skid plate. What this does is put a slight bulge in the bottom of the skid plate providing an extra buffer from the frequency based rub/bump responses caused by the sticks in your area (Vic is bad for this).

The other bit of advice for people is to stop Bl#*dy scrubbing the round with the GPZ in the Difficult mode or any Gold/Ground Type mode for the matter. The GPZ 7000 is extremely powerful, ZVT tech is not to be trifled with and will saturate more readily than a GPX, keep the coil at least 20 to 30 mm above the ground at all times, you are actually losing performance by running the coil too LOW!!

Hope this helps
JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Wed May 06, 2015 7:45 am

Jonathan Porter wrote:[Just a suggestion till things get sorted for you, get some soft compression rubber with the sticky back (can get it at hardware stores by the meter, its black in colour and comes in different hardness's). Place a piece in the center of your coil with the skid plate off then replace the skid plate, you have to make sure it is the SOFT variety of the rubber OK or else it will put too much pressure on the edges of the skid plate. What this does is put a slight bulge in the bottom of the skid plate providing an extra buffer from the frequency based rub/bump responses caused by the sticks in your area (Vic is bad for this).

The other bit of advice for people is to stop Bl#*dy scrubbing the round with the GPZ in the Difficult mode or any Gold/Ground Type mode for the matter. The GPZ 7000 is extremely powerful, ZVT tech is not to be trifled with and will saturate more readily than a GPX, keep the coil at least 20 to 30 mm above the ground at all times, you are actually losing performance by running the coil too LOW!!

Hope this helps
JP

OK Cool, ill give it a try.

I did notice the other day, when i had my skid plate off, that my coil plastic was concave in the middle. Perhaps this has something to do with it?

With regards to the rubber your talking about, is it about an inch wide? And just run a 10" strip across the middle?

Cheers,

Jordan.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed May 06, 2015 8:17 am

Make it an inch square in the middle, this is to lift the skid away slightly (creates a nicely rounded bulge in the bottom of the skid plate) without putting too much pressure on the skid plates edges.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Jonathan Porter wrote:Dave give me a shout on 0427 394 651 I can help.

Cheers
JP

Thanks for your help this morning, machine is now running well, which it never was before, and having no other machine to compare it with took me quite awhile to realize something wasn't quite right with it.

I can now run with the audio smoothing in the OFF position in both "high yield" and "general" in the "difficult" ground setting.

Thanks again JP

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 06, 2015 3:54 pm

davsgold wrote:
Jonathan Porter wrote:Dave give me a shout on 0427 394 651 I can help.

Cheers
JP

Thanks for your help this morning, machine is now running well, which it never was before, and having no other machine to compare it with took me quite awhile to realize something wasn't quite right with it.

I can now run with the audio smoothing in the OFF position in both "high yield" and "general" in the "difficult" ground setting.

Thanks again JP

cheers dave

What did you do to fix it Dave?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed May 06, 2015 4:00 pm

Dave had a glitch I've not seen before, I talked him through a reset all fix and correct GB after power cycle method and he is now back on track.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Wed May 06, 2015 4:10 pm

Gday JP any chance of posting the procedure of how to do this. Or is it something that is a last resort?
I am at a bit of a wits end with my machine and ready to flick it and go back to my 5000.

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Wed May 06, 2015 7:03 pm

Kudos to you JP for helping Dave , he was fortunate that you were able solve the problem !  

Do some  7000s have a quirk scratch or is it just the operator  ?

Jack
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Doofus Wed May 06, 2015 7:21 pm

If you can't trust JP, who will you trust.
Thanks for the tip Jonathon.
Damn, I just gave away what I'm going to buy lol!
cheers

Doofus
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2015-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Wed May 06, 2015 8:49 pm

DAVE - i tried chargeing my 7000 with the car cig lighter, wouldnt work (bought up a red warning light). house 240 worked ok. had me a bit miffed.

i checked the charge in the car battery, at the cig lighter, it was 12.3v, tried the cig lighter again, no go. got the jumper leads that were supplied and connected to the battery terminals under the hood. was working ok and battery reading 12.5v. two hours later the charger showed they were both full, checked the battery again, reading 12.6v (?). car had not been running.

left me thinking - my vehicle, a x-trail, cant handle charging if the battery is down a bit at the cig lighter and there is some resistance through that system. seems a bit touchy, i cant determine if the 7000 charger is touchy or the car. ... kev

yes JP i guess we would all like to know a "reset" procedure, if its easily explained, or better still - can it be avoided? thanks

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

How to remove noise from debris Gpz 7000. Empty GPZ 7000 Reset Procedure

Post  Steve Herschbach Thu May 07, 2015 1:15 am

How to remove noise from debris Gpz 7000. Post-1-0-15760100-1427817982
Steve Herschbach
Steve Herschbach
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-03-09

http://www.detectorprospector.com

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu May 07, 2015 6:52 am

kevlorraine2 wrote:DAVE - i tried chargeing my 7000 with the car cig lighter, wouldnt work (bought up a red warning light).   house 240 worked ok.  had me a bit miffed.

i checked the charge in the car battery, at the cig lighter, it was 12.3v, tried the cig lighter again, no go.  got the jumper leads that were supplied and  connected to the battery terminals under the hood. was working ok and battery reading 12.5v.  two hours later the charger showed they were both full, checked the battery again, reading 12.6v (?). car had not been running.

left me thinking - my vehicle, a x-trail, cant handle charging if the battery is down a bit at the cig lighter and there is some resistance through that system.  seems a bit touchy, i cant determine if the 7000 charger is touchy or the car. ... kev

yes JP i guess we would all like to know a "reset" procedure, if its easily explained, or better still - can it be avoided? thanks

Mine's the same Kev. Seems the charger needs lots of unimpeded current.
My truck has a ciggy lighter and a couple of accessory outlets, the charger will not work in the ciggy outlet but will in the accessory ones, I think they are up to 20 Amps.
I suspect there's a cutout on the ciggy lighter.
The 7000 battery is a grunter and needs a lot of juice. Using the supplied direct charger to battery lead works well too.

Good to hear the 7 is behaving Dave, I felt for you.

Cheers
Kev.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Thu May 07, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks for posting that up Steve.

How does the "reset all" and "reset settings" differ from the "reset audio and detection settings" found on the quick start page? Besides whats written in the page just posted.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down