Auto Tracking v Manual

Go down

Auto Tracking v Manual Empty Auto Tracking v Manual

Post  davsgold on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:23 pm

The user manual recommends "Auto Tracking" what I want to know is, are you all leaving it in Auto or switching to Manual when a soft faint target is being checked out, swinging repeatedly over and around the target and in close proximity.

Loud unmistakable signals no worries, it's the soft faint ones that you need to play around with, just wondering what the various different ideas are.

cheers dave
davsgold
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 5817
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Auto Tracking v Manual Empty Re: Auto Tracking v Manual

Post  Redfin on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:51 pm

It made sense to me to move to manual when a signal is heard.
I know the manual states in auto it will not track it out, but I just can't help myself [just in case] Very Happy
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:48 pm

I have my user button set to toggle between fixed tracking.
And I leave my detect screen on the ground type so I can toggle between the modes easily.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks Redfin, that makes sense.

cheers dave
davsgold
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:32 pm

GoldHound wrote:I have my user button set to toggle between fixed tracking.
And I leave my detect screen on the ground type so I can toggle between the modes easily.

That's a good idea Dale, setting the user button to work that way, as the ground balance button now does not put the machine into fixed (manual) when set in "Auto Tracking" it still puts the machine into tracking (Auto) when in working in fixed (manual)

Using the "user button" set the way you describe is the only way to do it quickly now by the look of things.

cheers dave
davsgold
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:15 pm

If you are on auto tracking, you get a signal and you keep sweeping on a target can you loose the signal or do you have to change on manual to keep the signal or it 'doesn't matter.

Cheers
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Peteren on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:28 pm

In the six days I've been using mine it has stayed in tracking. I don't think I have tracked a target away, even the "was that or wasn't that" signals remain and only get stronger as the leaf litter and surface soil is pushed away.
Peteren
Peteren
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:44 pm

davsgold wrote:
GoldHound wrote:I have my user button set to toggle between fixed tracking.

That's a good idea Dale, setting the user button to work that way, as the ground balance button now does not put the machine into fixed (manual) when set in "Auto Tracking" it still puts the machine into tracking (Auto) when in working in fixed (manual)

Using the "user button" set the way you describe is the only way to do it quickly now by the look of things.

cheers dave

I don't like to leave the detector sitting idol on the ground whilst in Auto because of the way the ground balance works.
So it is part of my Modus Operandi to use fixed for target recovery.
Pm sent with a performance enhancing tip.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks Dale, that makes good sense to go to fixed while recovering a target, we all know how the pick gets in the road and what a huge upsetting signal that makes, and I'm sure it must upset the ground balance of the machine as well.

cheers dave
davsgold
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:39 pm

G'day guys. In relation to tracking out a target, from what I've seen the 7000 seems to not track out. I've picked up small targets at rediculous depths with just a barely audible response. Continuous sweeps and the very iffy response remained. Also I've now picked up quite a few specimens and some particular Quartz species gave a very similar response, barely audible but on retrieval found tiny traces of gold in the Quartz. To me if ever a target could be tracked out it would have been these.
Bloody forgot those specimens out bush today. Was meant to do some testing using audio smoothing on them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:00 am

The main thing to remember with regards to Fixed GB is to get the detector fully immersed in the local conditions before you select fixed. In other words at switch on perform the "Walk and Swing" method then keep off the Quick-Trak for at least 20 to 30 minutes, once this is done you can then go to fixed GB and use the detector just like a 5000 when in fixed with regular checks of the GB via Quick-Trak if required.

The auto GB of the GPZ is very good and to date has not tracked out a good target at depth for me either, however things can get a little messy if the initial GB procedure is not followed correctly or if you obtained bad data from an atypical ground condition scenario.

In Fixed GB and Difficult Ground Type mode the GPZ produces busier ground signal responses than a 5000 especially on an interchange, these signals can potentially hide a good target. Tracking will always come at a cost to outright depth but in the case of the GPZ, especially in variable ground (non-homogeneous), Tracking provides more than it takes away from the detecting condition.

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:14 am

Jonathan Porter wrote:The main thing to remember with regards to Fixed GB is to get the detector fully immersed in the local conditions before you select fixed. In other words at switch on perform the "Walk and Swing" method then keep off the Quick-Trak for at least 20 to 30 minutes, once this is done you can then go to fixed GB and use the detector just like a 5000 when in fixed with regular checks of the GB via Quick-Trak if required.

Gday JP,

Just to be 100% sure I'm doing this right, can you confirm the following.

Turn on the GPZ for a days detecting.
Preset desired gold and ground settings etc.
Select "Auto" tracking.
Depress the "quick track" trigger button
Conduct "walk and swing" method for 10-12 seconds to gather as much soil info as possible.
Then leave in "Auto" for the next 20-30 mins to let the Zed warm up.
During this warm up do NOT touch the "quick track" or change the tracking to "manual".
After 20-30 mins warm up, if desired switch to "manual" tracking and "quick track" as required by either swinging the coil left to right or performing the traditional pump up and down method.

Cheers,

Jordan.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2015-03-02

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeIyXg5rKxtrVNJPEM7FAgw

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:45 pm

Jonathan Porter wrote:The main thing to remember with regards to Fixed GB is to get the detector fully immersed in the local conditions before you select fixed. In other words at switch on perform the "Walk and Swing" method then keep off the Quick-Trak for at least 20 to 30 minutes, once this is done you can then go to fixed GB and use the detector just like a 5000 when in fixed with regular checks of the GB via Quick-Trak if required.

The auto GB of the GPZ is very good and to date has not tracked out a good target at depth for me either, however things can get a little messy if the initial GB procedure is not followed correctly or if you obtained bad data from an atypical ground condition scenario.

In Fixed GB and Difficult Ground Type mode the GPZ produces busier ground signal responses than a 5000 especially on an interchange, these signals can potentially hide a good target. Tracking will always come at a cost to outright depth but in the case of the GPZ, especially in variable ground (non-homogeneous), Tracking provides more than it takes away from the detecting condition.

JP

Funny that is exactly what I already do.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurumick on Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:55 pm

JayMowgrass wrote:

Gday JP,

Just to be 100% sure I'm doing this right, can you confirm the following.

Turn on the GPZ for a days detecting.
Preset desired gold and ground settings etc.
Select "Auto" tracking.
(Depress the "quick track" trigger button) T13 Ho no!no!  "HOLD THE QUICK TRACK BUTTON IN until tick appears on the screen"
Conduct "walk and swing" method for 10-12 seconds to gather as much soil info as possible.
Then leave in "Auto" for the next 20-30 mins to let the Zed warm up.
During this warm up do NOT touch the "quick track" or change the tracking to "manual".
After 20-30 mins warm up, if desired switch to "manual" tracking and "quick track" as required by either swinging the coil left to right or performing the traditional pump up and down method.

Cheers,

Jordan.
(Depress the "quick track" trigger button) T13 Ho no!no!  "HOLD THE QUICK TRACK BUTTON IN until tick appears on the screen"
Aurumick
Aurumick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:06 am

Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 781
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  davsgold on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:37 pm

Well Thanks to some very good help the 7000 is performing a whole heap better over the last couple of weeks, some (a fair bit) of ground in WA is a problem, but most seems to be manageable to a fair degree, when an understanding of the ground verses machine is taken into account.

Since using the ferrite at start up and then going into manual GB (old fixed) on most ground things are working much better. Some ground can be worked in Auto BG but you will still need to place the ferrite on the ground periodically and re GB over it using the Quick track button as the GB drifts out gradually when using Auto GB if there is no natural ferrite in the ground, (this is what seem to be happening to me anyway).

So when fixing the GB into manual it seems to stay put and not drift, as you can go for a long time on the same ground and the ferrite does not give a signal, if it does then just use the Quick Track button (while still in fixed GB) and reset the GB, this method is keeping me sane now and I'm not wanting to wrap the machine around the nearest tree.

Settings are High Yeild, and Difficult, sensitivity 12 and smoothing OFF, using a B&Z booster and dual external speakers, B&Z is plugged into the WM12 wireless module, the B&Z is very good for volume control and overall sound on targets.

cheers dave
davsgold
davsgold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down