Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

where would the bigger nuggets pull up

4 posters

Go down

where would the bigger nuggets pull up Empty where would the bigger nuggets pull up

Post  sluice box Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:09 pm

hi all I have been getting a few small nuggets in an area that over the years has shown up some good gold from research I have found.
I am fairly new to detecting and have limited experience.
what im trying to work out is where would bigger nuggets pull up in realation to the smaller ones.
Would they be futher up the hill or further down.
any comments or ideas would be very helpfull

sluice box
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2015-03-27

Back to top Go down

where would the bigger nuggets pull up Empty Re: where would the bigger nuggets pull up

Post  Guest Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:18 pm

G'day sluice box and Welcome to the forum. As a rule of thumb the bigger gold usually travels further down the slope, but I have heard of bigger nuggets being found not too far from the source/reef. Hope this helps with your hunt and good luck also. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

where would the bigger nuggets pull up Empty Re: where would the bigger nuggets pull up

Post  sluice box Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:48 pm

hi mike 54

thanks for the welcome to the forum and thanks for your reply
I thort that would be the case with the bigger nuggets being further down the hill I spose as they say gold is where you find it
me and my partner will be heading away over easter
I will try further down the hill
thanks again for your reply

sluice box
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnnyTheGreek Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:06 pm

i have never seen or am i ever likely to see, large pieces of gold at the bottom of my highbanker and small pieces at the top. ever.

JohnnyTheGreek
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:39 pm

Hi Sluice box
I'm not an expert on this but the type of gold you have found will give clues as to the location of any more.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  sluice box Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:16 am

hi deutran

I am defenatly no expert but I am slowly learning more and more
some of the gold has quartz and ironstone in it and has been found close to deep sharfts im sure its come out of a reef there

some is very water worn and maybe lead gold

all I can do is keep learning and keep detecting low and slow

any ideas thorts are appreciated

thanks

happy hunting

sluice box
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:59 am

Hi Sluice Box, I would just keep traversing further and further away from the main grouping of finds but definitely  work from the top to the absolute bottom of the slope first. Because of the millions of years of erosion that has happened  in Australia the gold can be many hundreds of metres downslope of its reef source. Try detecting slowly on the (usually) deeper ground on the first area of flatter/flat ground at the absolute bottom of any slope...even if the slope is gentle.

Bigger nuggets apart from travelling at different speeds down a slope compared to the main grouping of smaller gold will often move left or right of the main run as they move down a slope. IMHO.

The above assumes the gold is coming from one or two reefs in a discreet spot or line...your gold could be from a couple sources including old gold bearing river lines superimposed over a gold bearing reef, and millions of years of erosion may have scattered the gold in pockets far and wide. Very Happy
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  sluice box Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:06 am

hi tributer

thank heaps for you input

I haven't been detecting for very long but I now have learnt how to run my machine gpx 5000  from practice and thanks to many posts on this forum
I have been chasing the reef line north south and working the slopes either side I have a lot more work in the area and I no some good gold came from the area

like you said the gold could have come anywhere I have trouble still getting my head around what could have possibly been
millions of years ago

thanks again for your input

cheers
happy hunting

sluice box
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:55 am

Hi
Your on the right track when you try to imagine where the gold came from.If you could go back in time you would see ridges with quartz shafts protruding from them.In time thru frost and erosion these would crack and because of gravity gradually move down slope.About one in seven of these contained gold.Tullys tarnagula maps are a very good example of this.Note the mines NNW so SSE.Gold like water moves off a steep slope quickly and not as quick of a gradual slope.ie gold on a 10 degree slope will be closer to its source than a 30 degree degree slope.For soil depth imagine rivers , shallow on a slope and deeper in a broad valley.
You can get all this right and still miss out if we are too late and the gold is in too deep of ground.Years and years of erosion have covered it.In the triangle look for that ring of quartz gravels around trees.This has been dragged from the "Bottom" by the trees growth.This gives away whats below your feet.When these are no longer there the depth is too deep for detecting.Run your machine over a test patch to understand depth achieved with coil and timing combinations.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down