Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Etrex 10 and Ozi Moving Maps HELP NEEDED

3 posters

Go down

Etrex 10 and Ozi Moving Maps HELP NEEDED Empty Etrex 10 and Ozi Moving Maps HELP NEEDED

Post  Goldiewa Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:42 am

Anyone out there using an Etrex 10 and Oziexplorer Moving Map.  Have followed all configurations for Ozi and Garmin and cannot get Ozi to connect to Garmin.  Can download tracks and waypoints no problem, but when I try Moving Map it says a Garmin USB GPS could not be found, could not initialize communications. Yet when I go on configuration and select GPS tab and click find GPS port it locates it.  What am I doing wrong?  Have read Ozi help files and Garmin book.  Hope someone can help, its doing my head in  Exclamation   Would I be better trying Google Earth realtime mapping Question Question Question

Just found this on Garmin support - can download USB drivers, anyone done this?? Would this solve problem?
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591
Goldiewa
Goldiewa
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-07-27

Back to top Go down

Etrex 10 and Ozi Moving Maps HELP NEEDED Empty Re: Etrex 10 and Ozi Moving Maps HELP NEEDED

Post  geof_junk Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Goldiewa, It would not hurt to try the garmin driver and I suspect that it will solve your problem. From what you have written you are approaching the problem with the right method. I found that when GPS went from serial plug connection to USB a lot of problems occurred. any how if the driver don't work try different usb ports and make sure that the GPS has access to satellites with a clear view of the sky. Best of luck
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Etrex 10 and Ozi Moving Maps HELP NEEDED Empty Re: Etrex 10 and Ozi Moving Maps HELP NEEDED

Post  onebob Sat May 28, 2016 10:26 am

geof_junk wrote:Goldiewa, It would not hurt to try the garmin driver and I suspect that it will solve your problem. From what you have written you are approaching the problem with the right method. I found that when GPS went from serial plug connection to USB a lot of problems occurred. any how if the driver don't work try different usb ports and make sure that the GPS has access to satellites with a clear view of the sky.  Best of luck    

The problem is that the ETREX 10 does not have NMEA output capability - it receives the satelite position data but cannot relay that data. For moving map you need one of the Oregon or Colorado models they have the Garmin Spanner mode to relay the NMEA data sentences to another device.

onebob

Last edited by onebob on Sat May 28, 2016 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
onebob
onebob
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down