Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All hail the mighty Zed!!!!

+35
Canned Heat
G.B.
DTE
Jims Gold
rc62burke
goldquest
Aurumick
Inhere
gullyhunter
Doofus
The Sodd
CostasDee
AUoptimist
Jack outwest
spinna
chrisso79
GemQ
kon61
kevlorraine2
big fella
quadangle
Narrawa
GPZhunter
Mre
spinifex
goldchaser
IGotBigNuggets
thegoldman24
AraratGold
ttrash
Martin R
slimpickens
avon g
PaddyWack
Troopy
39 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

All hail the mighty Zed!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: All hail the mighty Zed!!!!

Post  thegoldman24 Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:34 pm

if there to tight to supply users manuel(cost cutting) what else did they cut corners on l wonder??

thegoldman24
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2012-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:50 pm

thegoldman24 wrote:if there to tight to supply users manuel(cost cutting) what else did they cut corners on l wonder??

Well you do know that the coil was originally square don't ya. But the bean counters over rode Bruce on that one.  Q35
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:21 pm

I printed the manual... don't really care that Minelab didn't print it for me. I have internet and my work has a very expensive colour laser printer. All hail the mighty Zed!!!! - Page 2 Haha

Can't wait to play with my new toy tomorrow onwards. Took the week off work to do so.

Will test for the whole week and hopefully report back with how it went compared to the 4000 & 5000.

Fingers crossed I find some.

IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2013-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:34 pm

Fingers double crossed for you IGBN, let us know...
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi Igotbignuggets

bounce   bounce  I will bouncing off my seat.. lol! 

Waiting to see how you went..

V23  For you as well

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:26 pm

IGotBigNuggets wrote:I printed the manual... don't really care that Minelab didn't print it for me.  I have internet and my work has a very expensive colour laser printer.  All hail the mighty Zed!!!! - Page 2 Haha

Can't wait to play with my new toy tomorrow onwards.  Took the week off work to do so.

Will test for the whole week and hopefully report back with how it went compared to the 4000 & 5000.

Fingers crossed I find some.

All ears IGBN,good luck.......
Mmmm,your username abreviated could be taken the wrong way lol!
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:06 pm

G'day all

OK so we never got gold with it today, nor did the 4500 either, the place we went to was our closest gold field and has been flogged to death in every way possible.

GPZ7000 ran like a dream, no emi at all, 4500 usual emi all day. The new detector got BB shot, 22 lead bullets brass ilets the usual rust nails and half a horse shoe at around 26" deep in hard packed clayey gravel. It is a breeze to use once you get your head around the menu screen. I never even used the harness or a bungy. It sounds the same as what we are used to with the other ML machines on a target, although hard to pinpoint a small target once out of the ground, the sweet spot for pinpointing in the loose dirt will come with a bit more practice.

I found the screen easy to see in the daylight with the backlight on while changing settings.

We tested it on a 7.5 ounce solid nugget the one veronica found in WA a few years ago, air test only, and with the nugget on the ground the signal was a good pull me up signal at 900mm above the nugget. This was in the "High Yield" & "Normal" (which to me seemed to give the most depth and power).

Everything else is selectable as well but all digital and no knobs like the 5000 etc.

Its well balanced to detect with and good to use, we are liking the new machine.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  spinifex Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:21 pm

Thanks for the update, I have been waiting for your report all night. I thought you might have still been digging a hole. I hate those horse shoes that deep, its a real disappointment.
I will try mine on Tuesday.
Pete

spinifex
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Thanks for the report Dave, this is what the punters are waiting for !

Looking forward to more reports coming in, I am about 10 days away from getting my first one, and if it lives up to the hype, a second will soon follow !

Cheers,
Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 pm

We will be trying another goldfield in NSW next weekend, so I will be reading other peoples reports till then.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:33 pm

G'day Dave just wondering if you cross checked target responses with the 45 vs the 7?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:51 pm

used to be newbie wrote:G'day Dave just wondering if you cross checked target responses with the 45 vs the 7?

G'day used to be newbie

Not at this stage, I am very used to the 4500 & 5000 detectors and what they can do, I am just getting used to the GPZ7000 and it would not be fair at this early stage so I just spent the day learning and testing it on targets with various settings to get the hang of it.

Some things are recommended a bit different to the previous machines, like we used to run the them in fixed GB and this one is recommended to run in auto tracking, which is good for this new one but takes a bit of getting used to is all.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:37 pm

davsgold wrote:G'day all

OK so we never got gold with it today, nor did the 4500 either, the place we went to was our closest gold field and has been flogged to death in every way possible.

cheers dave

Bad luck Dave, I guess Bruce Candy's "It will open up the Goldfields again" remark, will have to be delayed for a little while.

Dave, could you or anyone else with a GPZed do an air test with a standardised target like a 50 cent piece so the rest of us can compare it to our GPX machines. I know it's not the same as a target under ground, but it will gain us some knowledge. Thanks
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:46 pm

davsgold wrote:G'day all

GPZ7000 ran like a dream, no emi at all, 4500 usual emi all day. The new detector got BB shot, 22 lead bullets brass ilets the usual rust nails and half a horse shoe at around 26" deep in hard packed clayey gravel. It is a breeze to use once you get your head around the menu screen. I never even used the harness or a bungy. It sounds the same as what we are used to with the other ML machines on a target, although hard to pinpoint a small target once out of the ground, the sweet spot for pinpointing in the loose dirt will come with a bit more practice.

I found the screen easy to see in the daylight with the backlight on while changing settings.

We tested it on a 7.5 ounce solid nugget the one veronica found in WA a few years ago, air test only, and with the nugget on the ground the signal was a good pull me up signal at 900mm above the nugget. This was in the "High Yield" & "Normal" (which to me seemed to give the most depth and power).

Everything else is selectable as well but all digital and no knobs like the 5000 etc.

Its well balanced to detect with and good to use, we are liking the new machine.

cheers dave

Thanks Dave,tells us more when you have more hours on it....
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Mre Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Some are going to love it some will not.
I love it, looking forward to a few happy faces tomorrow morning
Here is my 1st report
http://www.minersden.com.au/blog/first-swing-with-the-minelab-gpz-7000-metal-detector/

Mre
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2014-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:40 am

I wish I worked at Miners Den. Sad
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 am

Thanks for the report Dave, good read.

I will report as soon as I can. I don't have the best internet at the property (only mobile phone), so I will post back at end of week when I return to Melbourne, hopefully with photos and videos as well. All hail the mighty Zed!!!! - Page 2 Blush

IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2013-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:37 am

Mre wrote:Some are going to love it some will not.
I love it, looking forward to a few happy faces tomorrow morning
Here is my 1st report
http://www.minersden.com.au/blog/first-swing-with-the-minelab-gpz-7000-metal-detector/

Thanks for your report Mre

Goldchaser, I will be reporting back, won't be going out again till next weekend, going to a different field next time.

Harry, I will do the standard 50 cent air test, do you want this done in the gold field or in the back yard in town, to me in a gold field would be best but I could do it in the back yard in town this arvo if you want me to?

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:29 am

davsgold wrote:

Harry, I will do the standard 50 cent air test, do you want this done in the gold field or in the back yard in town, to me in a gold field would be best but I could do it in the back yard in town this arvo if you want me to?

cheers dave

The goldfield will be fine Dave, thanks.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GPZhunter Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:58 pm

I got a 50 cent piece at 500 mm with my old SD 2000 11" DD, rock hard ground, an old doze and detect claim out Avoca way, my mate seen me dig the last 2/3 rds of the hole and we both were 100 % certain i had a nice nugget? You can imagine the sheer disappointment when out comes this 1983 50 cent coin. Twisted Evil

GPZhunter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2015-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:31 pm

A 50c coin is classified as a high conductor, id be using a wad of lead in its place.
Dave, since you have a few spare nuggets, why not flog one into the shape of a 50c coin for the test. Laughing Do it this arvo and i'll come up and help ya i will. lol!
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Well, I don't know about the 7000, but with a PI an air test tells you nuttin IMO.
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Inhere wrote:Well, I don't know about the 7000, but with a  PI  an air test tells you nuttin IMO.

A inhere,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ncbEucjsNFU

It helps comparing different coil sizes.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:11 pm

slimpickens wrote:
Inhere wrote:Well, I don't know about the 7000, but with a  PI  an air test tells you nuttin IMO.

A inhere,

I reckon Harry, If you believe it, fine.
My opinion is, it is a waste of time and bears no resemblence to the depth of an in ground target! Rolling Eyes
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:17 pm

Narrawa wrote:A 50c coin is classified as a high conductor, id be using a wad of lead in its place.
Dave, since you have a few spare nuggets, why not flog one into the shape of a 50c coin for the test. Laughing Do it this arvo and i'll come up and help ya i will. lol!

Yep right O........... Laughing Laughing Laughing and you hold the nugget while I flog it into shape, it's a big hammer ya know. Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Inhere wrote:
slimpickens wrote:

A inhere,

My opinion is, it is a waste of time and bears no resemblence to the depth of an in ground target! Rolling Eyes

What if you have a new 18 x 14 coil whose basic capabilities you don't know yet. Wouldn't comparing it to your other coils in a simple air test give you a rough idea of where it fits in your armoury?
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:35 pm

slimpickens wrote:
Inhere wrote:
slimpickens wrote:

A inhere,

What if you have a new 18 x 14 coil whose basic capabilities you don't know yet. Wouldn't comparing it to your other coils in a simple air test give you a rough idea of where it fits in your armoury?  

Laughing Laughing Laughing Read what I first wrote "I don't know about the 7000" OK? Razz
But if you want to save about 8 grand on something that does a good air test buy one of JL's modded mine detectors.
I couldn't be bothered looking for it, but someone put up a youtube a while back that showed it went really well in an air test.
Looked well over a metre on a target on the ground. Wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Inhere, again with negative waves. Read my lips…It helps comparing a coil to other coils.
I think I am just going to agree to disagree with you.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:14 pm

slimpickens wrote:Inhere, again with negative waves. Read my lips…It helps comparing a coil to other coils.
I think I am just going to agree to disagree with you.
I knew we would agree sooner or later! lol!
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Ok back from a test of zed. Background of the chosen area was very mineralised ground where I recently got a patch of over 4 ozs of small gold 2 weeks ago using the 5000 coupled to a 11" mono and 16" mono
The zed was set up in high yield/ difficult with auto gb and sensitivity on 9. It struggled terribly with sensitivity higher or using high yield/normal in fact it was outta control.
The downside what I saw was very limited control of the detector with the few functions you get. The plus was that it slaughtered the 5000.
16 Nuggets found by zed that were cross checked with the 5. Yeah the 5 picked up a few easilly with the 11" coil by rubbing on it on the ground but there were a number that the 5 didn't see or with even rubbing coil on the ground and wouldn't provide any decent response. That's about as far as we got. We going back tomorrow again. The nuggets weighed in at 6 grams total. Not bad considering we were stuffing around a bit.
So yeah it's ok I spose

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next