Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SDC2300 shaft/coil heel.

+3
Reno Chris
hoolahoopa
Redshirt
7 posters

Go down

SDC2300 shaft/coil heel. Empty SDC2300 shaft/coil heel.

Post  Redshirt Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:31 pm

Just looking at my SDC2300 coil/shaft heel connection joint which is starting to wear.
SDC2300 shaft/coil heel. Heel_zpsbdd90fb5As I like to scrap the coil on the ground when detecting it also gets a bit of a scratching on rocks and those big gold nuggets littering the goldfields Laughing . The skid plate (about $20) doesn't cover this area? Does anyone know if replacement heel joint casings is going to be available? Or what they might cost?

Cheers
Redshirt
Redshirt
Redshirt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2013-04-10

Back to top Go down

SDC2300 shaft/coil heel. Empty Re: SDC2300 shaft/coil heel.

Post  Guest Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:47 pm

$3995 as it is a all in one unit.  Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Seriously mate I have no idea, but by the looks of yours you will need one at sometime in the future.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Hey redshirt does the coil cover come off? just curious cause i didnt want to play to much with my mates today in case i broke it.
Just wondering if dirt under the cover will affect it like the dirt under the gpx's range of coils does.

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Redshirt Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:37 am

I think the skid plate just clips on? I just use the hose to get the dirt out.
Redshirt
Redshirt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Reno Chris Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:21 am

I've taken mine SDC coil cover off to get the dirt out. It just pops off. If you get it filled with mineralized dirt it will false terribly until you clean it out.
Reno Chris
Reno Chris
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  xray1982 Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:52 pm

It is not an easy removal in my opinion (the skidplate) but it does collect alot of dust. Electrical tape is a good idea to prevent dust getting in.

Redshirt, have you thought of moulding fibreglass or even plastic coating the heel? I have contemplated the idea but im not the best with this sort of thing. Maybe heat shrinking material that hardens with a heat gun once cooled?
xray1982
xray1982
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Hey Redshirt
I raised this issue a little while back, see Quote, "

Hey Robert
I don't own one mate!! I am a fan of it's abilities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not a fan of the price (Yes this is my opinion) I have stated this before!!! I am no fan of the faults & yes there are some that I feel need some serious looking at!!!!!!!!! not the least the wear point of the coil connection to the shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen how it performs & I have seen first hand it locate a specimen 27g @ 12" from a patch done over by a few operators, the same user of the SDC collected over 90 g in 6 days.

The following is a Quote from a post I put on DWAG forum, I think it will highlight a few things.

"All respect to you!!!
I believe the complaints to be legitimate & points that SHOULD have been considered during the testing of this unit (if it was field tested PROPERLY).
You see I recently (last week) was camped with a guy who had one.
The very first time I picked it up to get a feel for it, I was astounded with the way this $4000 detector felt, it was crap & flopped around on my arm at the end of each swing (my forearm is smaller than the owners) the folding cuff's are to blame here!!!
I noticed that the sliding section of the shaft's had some sideways movement too & yes the weight of this unit is all out the front, it needs a bungy.
One very poor design feature that came to light after the guy had been using it for a week plus was that the rear of the skid plate & the coil connection knuckle where wearing out I kid you not this will be a huge impact in future.

All that being said, It does an amazing job at finding tiny gold "BLOODY AWESOME"
Old mate also had an issue with it shutting down, due to possible loose battery contacts & tonight I got an email saying he was going to Cairns due to the charger crapping itself.

Like I said, good at finding "Gold" but I believe that M/L have overlooked a number of important issue's, I also think that it is overpriced.
Do I want one, DAMN RIGHT I do!!! but with the issue's & @ $4000 not likely ATM.
We all have our opinions & this is mine!!!
cheers
Lee"

One thing I need to add is, after all the talk about EMI handling the above operator did experience some bad EMI in NQ most often after midday, so it appears that this issue is not totally solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1.

Last edited by rc62burke on Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stuff about EMI) "

After I raised it in the "My day out with the SDC post" it did not even rate a mention  Rolling Eyes Wink  the silence was astounding  Shocked Shocked Shocked  we will see how it goes this time Question Question Question Question 
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Redshirt Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks for the tip xray1982 The fibreglass moulding or some sort of epoxy sounds like it might be a good idea I will have to look into it. Also was thinking of making a heel cover out of a old commander coil skid plate for the short term fix and sliding in under the real skid plate to keep it in place.  

Not sure how to resolve it yet but as rc62burke states it is likely to have a huge impact in future. Hopefully not a expensive impact $$$$.  

Thanks for the advise.

Cheers Redshirt
Redshirt
Redshirt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  xray1982 Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Thats a clever idea redshirt. By getting the old skid plate plastic, heat it in the oven, carefully press it into shape with a heat gun to wrap around the nuckle and once it is in place dunk it in coo water to let it harden. Then send me some pics! I'll try this too for a solution as mine gets scrubbed a fair bit and time will tell. PS MY battery charger **** itself last night too.
xray1982
xray1982
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:22 pm

xray1982 wrote:Thats a clever idea redshirt. By getting the old skid plate plastic, heat it in the oven, carefully press it into shape with a heat gun to wrap around the nuckle and once it is in place dunk it in coo water to let it harden. Then send me some pics! I'll try this too for a solution as mine gets scrubbed a fair bit and time will tell. PS MY battery charger **** itself last night too.

That's the second battery charger I have heard that *** itself after short term use!!

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  keen4au Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Make that 3! My charger didn't work from the word go. Got it fixed under warranty, no problem in that regard.

keen4au
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-08-17

Back to top Go down