Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker

5 posters

Go down

speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Empty installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker

Post  evan2010 Thu May 13, 2010 5:31 pm

I decided to try this DIY project after watching JP's 'GPX4500 The Seta project' Dvd. In it he describes how he installed an On/Off (bypass) switch into his external speaker making it possible to cut the sound without having to remove the speakers jack from the batterey everytime you wanted quietness for whatever reasons. Firstly you'll need to purchase a suitable 9-15volt On/Off toggle type switch (I used one made by Narva). Other items you will need are *A drill and drill bit that is of the same diametre as the switch'es toggle, Solder & soldering iron, superglue and a short length of electrical wire (aprox 1-1.5in from memory) similiar to the wires inside the speaker. These can be seen by removing the speakers back cover via the 4screws and Carefully lifting out the speaker so that the wiring is exposed. Firstly take the toggle switch & remove the little nut and washer/spacer, then pre-drill a hole in the speakers housing in the position you desire (I wear my speaker on the left shoulder clip of my harness, so ive fitted the switch on the right side for ease of access). Fit the switch inside the housing by pushing the toggle thru the pre-drilled hole and then replace the washer/spacer and nut to the outside of housing which hold it all in place. Now its just a matter of rewiring to make a complete circuit between the jack/switch & speaker. Firstly Disconnect the white wire from its contact point on the speaker and solder to the contact point on the switch thats inline with the ON position. Then solder one end of the short piece of wire to the switch'es OFF position contact point and then solder the other end of the wire to the speakers contact point that you removed the white wire from earlier. Then finally check to make sure its all working by using the speaker as per normal and flicking the switch from On to Off or vice versa. If your happy with it all, then its just a matter of putting a dob of glue on each wire/contact point for added security, Replacing the speaker back into the housing securely, and putting the cover back on and the 4 screws back in. Job Done. Alternativeley, if your not confident in doing this yourself you could always take your speaker to an electronics shop like Dick Smiths or Similiar and get them to do it for a fee. Anyway hope this helps Cheers Evan.
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Empty Re: installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker

Post  nero_design Fri May 14, 2010 12:38 am

speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Original

I've done dozens of these in just the last few weeks for friends although the first one I did a few years ago (top right in the image above) is still running perfectly and without issue. You need to drill through one of the anchor posts for one of the corner-set screws in order to seat the switch in well and to avoid the metal switch case from coming in contact with the speaker shell inside the case. There's not really enough room to install the switch right in the middle so I tend to put them in towards the side (but not right on the corner).

You'll want a drill or a Dremel tool, some black silicone (optional), wire cutters/strippers, a Phillips-head screwdriver plus a soldering iron with solder. I've installed a hidden camera with flash-video inside another speaker just for the fun of it.

It's not necessary to make and install a cut-off switch but it can be useful if you use a pinpointer or if you tend to use a 2-way radio etc.

* Remember to re-knot the lead before soldering and sealing the device so it doesn't pull through.

Cheers,

M.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Empty re installing an On/Off switch onto an external speaker

Post  evan2010 Fri May 14, 2010 3:13 am

Pretty much exactly what I did with mine M. i like the option of switching off the sound if I get a call on the 2way or feel like a ciggie (im a smoker) etc etc.
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Empty Re: installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:44 am

QLD Sandy had an excellent DIY of a similar thing but he also installed a diode so the audio wasn't completely cut (similar to the bypass option on the B&Z Booster).

Marco why the heck would you want a spy cam in your speaker? The mind boggles at the images it would capture when you take your pack off to answer a call of nature!!! lol! affraid

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  buck06 Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:36 pm

marco nuggets speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Icon_question speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Icon_question speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Icon_question speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Icon_question speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Icon_question speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Icon_question speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Icon_question speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Icon_question
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

speaker switch - installing a bypass (On/Off) switch onto an External speaker Empty diode in audio cct ?

Post  Auger Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:33 pm

JP - why put a diode in an audio circuit ? That would just mutilate the audio. Better to use a linear component and avoid distortion etc. Cheers - Phil
Auger
Auger
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum