Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nugget finder 16 inch mono relative to gpx 4000

2 posters

Go down

nugget finder 16 inch mono relative to gpx 4000 Empty nugget finder 16 inch mono relative to gpx 4000

Post  chrisso79 Wed May 28, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi there..
I have an old 16 inch gray mono coil possibly from the SD series.
Wondering if same coil would be useful on Vic/WA fields coupled up to Minelab GPX 4000.
Any hints/stories on past useage from members which may help me would be appreciated
Regards
Chrisso

chrisso79
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

nugget finder 16 inch mono relative to gpx 4000 Empty Re: nugget finder 16 inch mono relative to gpx 4000

Post  kon61 Thu May 29, 2014 1:46 pm

G'day Chrisso.

Is it 5 pin? Open spoke or solid in design? Was it used on the Minelab PIs in the past? Is there any form of brand name on the coil,cause I don't recall any grey coloured coils for the SD series at the time.White,Terracotta coloured,green maybe,but not grey in colour.

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

nugget finder 16 inch mono relative to gpx 4000 Empty nugget finder 16 inch mono relative to gpx 4000

Post  chrisso79 Thu May 29, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi there Kon 61, thanks for your response, and your earlier welcome to the forum.
I will admit i do not know much about the history of this 16 inch coil found in my treasure chest of accessories.
Yes it is a 5 pin plug, and may originally have been white in colour. It has the nugget finder logo above the centre of coil in black lettering
( picture of lucky prospector holding aloft a nugget ) with the wording Nugget Finder Mono.
The round lead on this coil ( not spoked, but entire!) enters coil on r/h side of black square plate attached by what looks like 3 plastic rivets on each side rather crudely sealed to coil by silicon maybe..
Apologies, am unable to send photo of same coil at present..
I would like to try it out on my GPX 4000 if possible
regards
Chrisso.

chrisso79
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

nugget finder 16 inch mono relative to gpx 4000 Empty Re: nugget finder 16 inch mono relative to gpx 4000

Post  kon61 Thu May 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Not a worry Chrisso. Sounds like one of the earlier 16 inch solid 5 pin fibreglass to me. I don't see any problem to your machine by testing the coil on it.The worst case scenario would be the coil showing touch sensitivity issues or forcing one to ground balance more often than usual because of the coils winding characteristics. If you see any of the above or any other erratic behaviour,that can't be sorted out through search modes or timings etc ,this would most likely be the case.There are some (not all) after market coils apart from Minelab made,that just aren't wound to suit the GPX series detectors,but lean more in operable favour towards the older model machines.If it runs smooth and stable,without falsing with each swing after ground balancing,then you should have no problems using it on the GPX 4000.

Cheers Kon. What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down