Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ancient river beds

4 posters

Go down

Ancient river beds Empty Ancient river beds

Post  keeif12 Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Gday guys was hoping for some answers on ancient river beds. I've got some land outside of Eden nsw and came across an upturned tree on the top of the ridgeline approximately 150m above the current river that had what looked like river rocks from pebbles to football sized rocks stuck in its roots and the hole it came from. Wasn't sure if ancient river could be at the very top of the hill like that. I unfortunately ran out of time had to get back to Vic so didnt have much time to inspect the area but I do know of a few quartz reefs close by that run in a ne/SW direction there is a fault line not far away and I found some small gold in a creek about 2km away . What would be the best way to inspect with a detector or take some samples to pan. Any advice would be great cheers

keeif12
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Ancient river beds Empty Re: Ancient river beds

Post  Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 pm

G'day keeif12

That's were you will find ancient river beds, right on top of hills (palaeochannel or paleochannel) Australia has what is called (inverted landscape) what used to be high is now the low and what used to be low is now high. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palaeochannel

If your finding gold in creeks not to far away then there is a good chance it may have eroded out of that old high and now dry old river bed, (paleochannel)

Detect and pan around the area and see what comes to light, old maps of the area may help that show old gold diggings would be a real bonus.

Good luck with it.
'
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  keeif12 Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:52 am

Cheers mate thanks can't wait to get back up there to have a closer look

keeif12
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:05 am

There are many stories written regarding ancient river courses on the East coast goldfields.
Early diggers on their small patch of ground dug holes over 100 ft deep for nothing while their neighbour hit a "glory hole."
There must be millions of ounces of gold still buried, out of reach of metal detectors.

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  someday Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:35 am

Think for most, hmm me too   Sad  ancient rivers apart from now being high'n dry, have all the gold catching
characteristics of a present stream, the problem being it can be near on impossible to read an ancient water course unless it's exposed,
or in this case being quite shallow you may well be able to probe the ground, winter time would be the go as the ground will be much softer  cheers 
Again being shallow, vegetation or lack of it, might/could be a good clue  Cool 
someday
someday
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2012-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  keeif12 Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks heaps for all the tips guys

keeif12
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  onthehunt Sat May 10, 2014 1:36 am

It will be a big job, but if you want to increase your chances, If you can find the edges of the ancient river bed (ie where the river gravel stops), try to plot the course of the river, then focus on sampling the INSIDE bends of the river.

I can't think of anyway of doing that without exposing it all, which would no doubt be a lot of digging!

onthehunt
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 453
Registration date : 2012-08-25

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum