Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toyota coaster 8m access to ophir campground?

5 posters

Go down

Toyota coaster 8m access to ophir campground? Empty Toyota coaster 8m access to ophir campground?

Post  Fin Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Hello All,

My questions, Will a Toyota coaster Bus 8m and 3.5 Ton Navigate in and out of the Ophir Campgrounds, or is it only suitable for cars and 4wd?

Thankyou
Finn

Fin

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Toyota coaster 8m access to ophir campground? Empty Re: Toyota coaster 8m access to ophir campground?

Post  Guest Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:13 pm

G'day Fin

I've been in from the Mullion Creek end but not for the Orange end.

I don't think you would have a problem from the way I went but you will have to wait for someone else to answer for the Orange way in.

It's a nice little camp ground, you should enjoy it there, and with a bit of luck find some gold as well.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Toyota coaster 8m access to ophir campground? Empty Ophir

Post  philip.j.thompson Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:18 pm

Good question, considering taking a van down there some time soon.probably do a recon, have not been there for 35 odd yrs.
regards phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Toyota coaster 8m access to ophir campground? Empty Toyota coaster 8m access to ophir campground?

Post  nuggertman Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:29 pm

hi m8... I think you can.. I was down there a few months ago.. and I saw one there ,, try to talk to the people but I think they wer asleep ..lolol,,,,,,,, this one was a long wheel bace ok ,, ok gl you
nuggertman
nuggertman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  MALCO Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi Finn, I was there about 8 mts ago . we left our van at Orange C/Van park and I drove from there. From memory there is a sign once your on the dirt road section, that does say, not suitable
for Caravans or Motor homes. But I can't see why it would be a problem, sure the last part as you
go down to the river and camp site, is a bit steep, I still don't see it being any dramas. But Carrying on from the camp site it is a much steeper climb. I have never driven a coaster so not
sure how they go on steep hills on a dirt road. The other thing to consider is size of the camp
area available, it isn't that big, especially if a few other campers there at same time.(maybe that
would explain the no caravan or motor homes sign? ).

Regards Mal.
MALCO
MALCO
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  philip.j.thompson Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Rolled the van in and out again, the problem is not the road but where to park it , especially if day trippers parked in access points, of which there are only a few. Other option was pulling in at the top of the reserve when travelling through but with rain headed to Sofala anyway.
regards Phil
unfortunately only harvested bullets, still some from 1800's and they should not have been there given the lat 30 yrs of innovation.

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Toyota coaster 8m access to ophir campground? Empty Re: Toyota coaster 8m access to ophir campground?

Post  roundman Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:51 am

Hi Phill, what was the water level like in the creek, thinking of going there on the long weekend to do some panning and give the sluice a go if the creek is running.Thanks Nathan.

roundman

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Just updating this post in regard to access to the Ophir camp ground...I was there yesterday (31-2-15) and the council has recently sealed the road from the top of the hill down to the campground and on the other side of the causeway up the hill.

Back to top Go down