Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

could you do this to a gb2

5 posters

Go down

could you do this to a gb2 Empty could you do this to a gb2

Post  regamald Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 am

Hi im not sure but was toying with the idea has anyone thought of done or could it be done. Fitting an external plug to run a bigger battery pack and would that enable you to run a larger coil or would you gain any extra depth? I know some may think it might be silly or why not just get a pulse induction but i was just wondering its a pretty good machine but i just thought maybe you could increse depth would be good and if being able to run a larger coil would aid you at all? Thanks any considerations and thoughts would be apprectiated
regamald
regamald
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2013-11-22

Back to top Go down

could you do this to a gb2 Empty Re: could you do this to a gb2

Post  Ben78 Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:57 am

You could fit a larger battery pack externally.

You can fit a larger coil. I think the largest offical GB2 coil is 14", in airtesting (grain of salt) the 6.5" coil picks up an ounce at 8" and the 14" picks it up at 14" so yes there is benefit to going to a larger coil for larger pieces. The detector will drive the coil ok so no need for external battery packs. Or are you considering like a very large coil 1m or similar? In that case get a PI, no seriously, winding induction balanced coils for a VLF machine would be a no fun excercise.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/field-tests/GoldBug2FieldTest.pdf
Ben78
Ben78
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

could you do this to a gb2 Empty re could you do this to a gb2

Post  regamald Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:15 pm

hi ben sorry ive been busy for a few days thanks for the reply. 1mtr wow thats a huge coil i was thinking of a 14 or 18inch Cool I've got a sd2200v2 but also a gb2 it is good at locating pockets of flood gold in creeks but im amazed at the little depth it gets only a coupple of inch's at most and im running energizer lithium battery's silver one 14 bucks a battery. As for extra depth would it be through fitting a larger external battery pack or would it be through a larger coil but then if you wack a larger coil on wouldn't you need to upgrade the power source to run it? as i said i was just wondering if it could be done and would it be beneficial to gaining extra depth?? thanks ben and hopefully i may find some one that has modified a gb2 as im just curious. thanks Very Happy Very Happy
regamald
regamald
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:58 pm

G'day regamald

I'm guessing it runs in 9 volts, as it has 2x 9volt battries, 2 of em gives you twice as much time as 1 would thats all.

Now you could modify it to run on an external battery supply, you could use a 12volt of some description and regulate it down to around the 9 volts same as the other 2 give you, the only advantage would be you could re charge this larger external battery and get a lot longer run time.

I would not just try and run the detector on a higher voltage without doing some serious research as to what may happen, you don't want to smoke it up ay.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

could you do this to a gb2 Empty could you do this to a gb2

Post  regamald Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:23 pm

davsgold wrote:G'day regamald

I'm guessing it runs in 9 volts, as it has 2x 9volt battries, 2 of em gives you twice as much time as 1 would thats all.

Now you could modify it to run on an external battery supply, you could use a 12volt of some description and regulate it down to around the 9 volts same as the other 2 give you, the only advantage would be you could re charge this larger external battery and get a lot longer run time.

I would not just try and run the detector on a higher voltage without doing some serious research as to what may happen, you don't want to smoke it up ay.

cheers dave
thanks davsgold ill take that on board might do a bit of research on it tonite thanks
regamald
regamald
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:14 pm

The two batteries run two different parts of the circuitry......i tried this years ago with an old bounty hunter. I wired it up to run off one larger 12v camera battery....it didn't work. For some reason you needed  two separate batteries.?? Not saying the gb2 is the same, but it sounds like it.??
So i ended up using two 12v camera batteries to run my BH red Barron RB5....and i  never used any reverse polarity protection knowing full well id be the only one ever hooking the damn thing up......well!!...i let the smoke out the very first day i took it to a gold field. You guessed it...i hooked the b@stard up the wrong way in my haste to get cracking.Embarassed Shocked All good tho...i sold it on ebay for more than i payed for it anyway....Razz 

Careful as she go's....you dont want to let the smoke out of that one. Better off to use 6x1.5v rechargeable battery packs. 9v battery's have very little milliamp hr ratings, and you'd  be better of making up your own battery pack for a better run time and cost saving in the long run.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:16 pm

regamald wrote:Hi im not sure but was toying with the idea has anyone thought of done or could it be done. Fitting an external plug to run a bigger battery pack and would that enable you to run a larger coil or would you gain any extra depth? I know some may think it might be silly or why not just get a pulse induction but i was just wondering its a pretty good machine but i just thought maybe you could increse depth would be good and if being able to run a larger coil would aid you at all? Thanks any considerations and thoughts would be apprectiated
Hi regamald, I had the 14" coil for my Gold Bug 2 but the bloody thing just empties the batteries in a very short time. So the 14" went the way of all things useless.............................Ebay. cheers  Harry
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:33 pm

Not only that shiraz,but over the hotter sections of mineralized ground,ground noise will double,as compared to the 10 or 6 inch coils.

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Maybe the 10" for the batsh!t at an extra inch or 2 and the 6" for the flysh!t at an inch or two.
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Common Harry,you ought to know better than that.The six inch coil on the Gold Bug 2,is more than capable of pulling in flea sh*t,not alone the whoppers of fly sh*t.Laughing Shocked 

Cheers Kon.What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:22 pm

kon61 wrote:Common Harry,you ought to know better than that.The six inch coil on the Gold Bug 2,is more than capable of pulling in flea sh*t,not alone the whoppers of fly sh*t.Laughing Shocked 

Cheers Kon.What a Face
I didn't want to praise the GB2 too much Kon, people might think we're selling them.Wink 
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben78 Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:34 am

Two 9 volt batteries gives a +/- 9v supply rail to the amplifiers, probably regulated down a little to +/-7v or so. If you made a external pack you would still need to be able to provide dual supplies. Without looking inside one you couldn't say for certain if you could run it on +/-12v (say). You would need to open it up and look at the data sheet for each component to see what the voltage limits are.
Ben78
Ben78
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum