BIG CAT SIGHTINGS...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Empty BIG CAT SIGHTINGS...

Post  kon61 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:16 pm

G'day my fellow prospectors.

This might sound like a silly or even stupid question,but a friend of mine whilst prospecting the high plains of Dargo area Vic,recently awoke,at around 3am to the sounds of heavy snarling.Switching on his hand held spotlight,50 or so yards away,darting up the side of a steep rocky hillside,he swears he saw what seemed to be a very large cat, similar to that of a cougar.I'm still laughing at his wild imagination,not alone that something like that could even exist,but he can't stop talking about it,and swears he saw what he saw.Has anyone out there ever experienced a similar situation.Do large cats really exist somewhere out there?or are people just letting their imagination take the better of them.

Cheers kon61
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4995
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Empty Re: BIG CAT SIGHTINGS...

Post  Guest on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Kon, never seen anything myself, but as a kid I remember my father who was a Ranger having to go out and investigate a "Panther" sighting in the Oberon area. I did see the plaster casts he took of paw prints.

Who knows... funnier things have been found in the bush, two hunters recently shot a wild bore which turned out to be a Pigmy Hippo and about a year back an American Alligator wandered into a families camp site on the south coast of NSW

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:49 pm

There was a discussion on this subject not to long ago ill see if its still around.

this is all i could find but im sure there was a huge thread on this subject.
http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/prospecting-yarns-f10/big-cats-and-foxes-t841.htm?highlight=big+cats

and i remember reading a story about some people traveling from melbourne to waanyarra in the 1800's and what stood out was the fact they said they had to light a big fire to keep the cats away?
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:07 pm

G'day madtuna.

I've camped many a night out in the bush and on many a different landscape,from high plains,to desert plains,but have never experienced a similar experience,such as that of what he saw.I know I'm a bit of a skeptic and to me seeing is believing,but i also know, that i must keep an open mind as well,and that your most likely right.Sometimes,somethings happen in our lives that are just so out of the ordinary,that seem unbelievable and have no credible explanation.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:12 pm

A supposed big cat ("black panther") in Dargo, Gippsland, Australia was shot by a Melbourne deer hunter named Kurt Engel who claimed the 1.5 metre (6 ft), 35 kilo cat had charged him. As with many photos, the cat is in the foreground and perspective makes it appear larger in proportion to the hunter. The body was photographed and disposed of, but the apparently 600 mm (26 inch) tail was sent for DNA testing at Monash University and shown to be a feral domestic cat. The tail was sent without vertebrae and could have included extra fur from the back which makes accurate size estimations difficult. A cat's tail is normally 30 cm (12 inches).

http://www.messybeast.com/giantferal.htm
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 712
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi Gollstar.

Thanks for that thread.Interesting reading.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  vasilis on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:23 pm

Hey Kon next time I'm out in the bush I will open a tin of 'whiskas' and call out " Here kitty Cat" then I may eat the tin food for extra protein.
The most scary things I have seen are baffollo,wild pig and crocodile,king brown etc so can't wait for pussy cat!!!
vasilis
vasilis
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:28 pm

G'day Geof_junk.

Yep! A six foot cat would have to weigh more than 35kg.I seen that picture when it first appeared and upon close examination,to me,it looked like a large domestic,feral black cat.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:32 pm

gollstar wrote:There was a discussion on this subject not to long ago ill see if its still around.

Yeah it was done to death but i can't find it anywhere.
There is a whole heap of reading on big cats in the bush here somewhere Kon.
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi vasilis.

After what I've read and heard on this forum,i don't think I'll be opening that can of Whiskas,just in case it lures in more than just a small putty cat.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:39 pm

I was up at the Dargo high plains last year, driving down an old track, I saw 2 black furry animals in the distance hightailing it up the hillside, looked more like dogs than cats, but they were some distance away.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Fisherman on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:41 pm

kon61 wrote:Hi vasilis.

After what I've read and heard on this forum,i don't think I'll be opening that can of Whiskas,just in case it lures in more than just a small putty cat.

Cheers kon61.

BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Icon_lol BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Icon_lol BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Icon_lol BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Icon_lol
Fisherman
Fisherman
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:00 pm

Theres a whole web site devoted to sightings of things in Australia some are funny to read you wonder what they where smoking or if it mentions if they where on the way home from the pub etc
http://uqconnect.net/~zzpclach/bigcatwitnesses.htm

Someone should submit a story taking the micky etc you where walking down a track and startled a three eyed big foot with a tale and had horns BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Icon_lol

i think its this websight that a farmer in daisy hill vic was looking for a missing cow and came across it ripped apart with a large cat staring back, after reading that whenever im in the area im always looking around a bit more, sometimes in the trees, i dunno if theres truth to the story or not but a cows bigger than me.

If you follow the link i provided you will find aparant sightings from all over the country, with some pics one thing that stands out with victoria is that alot of the sighting are on gold field areas im not sure if thats because theres gold fields over most the state or what. ps near daisy hill on the speed signs theres actaully a black panther on painted on the back.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:00 am

Gday

A couple of seasons back some friends saw what they believed was a cougar chase after a herd of goats along the side of a hill, it caught a kid goat and headed down the hill into some scrub that was running along a creek line.

They were some distance from it and saw the goats scatter and run all over the place, they grabbed the bino's to have a look, the guy who saw it first through the bino's said he thought it was a lion, and while they watched it carried the goats carcass down the hill.

When they got to the spot they found the carcass of the kid goat in the scrub line of the creek, so they picked it up and took it, later it was skinned and clear visible bite marks were seen on both sides of its back, it was about 8-10 kg in weight, so whatever bit it had a large mouth.(I saw the carcass myself)

They were both visibly shaken when we met with them some two or three hours later, both are experienced in the bush, and both still maintain to this day that it was a cougar, this happened in a well known and often frequented prospecting area at about 9 oclock in the morning, another experienced bushman also told us that on an earlier trip to the area he had heard unusual screaming type sounds, like a woman screaming during the night that made his hair stand on end.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:47 am

G'day StayyerAU.

After reading various articles and posts on this forum on large cat sightings,that might explain why I cannot help thinking,that some times through out the day,whilst prospecting in isolation,this gut wrenching feeling,that somethings watching me.Ahh stayyer,why did i ever bring up this subject?.It use to be head down ass up and off I'd go. From now on its going to be ass down head round.You know just like Linda Blair in the exorcist.

Cheers kon61
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  geof_junk on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:55 pm

The main thing to remember they only appear after you find a nugget BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Icon_twisted BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Icon_twisted BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Icon_twisted
geof_junk
geof_junk
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 712
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan WA on Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Stayyer

I've heard that screaming. Its a bird.
Might be a Lyre bird. Terrible sound.

Alan
Alan WA
Alan WA
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:16 pm

madtuna wrote:Hi Kon, never seen anything myself, but as a kid I remember my father who was a Ranger having to go out and investigate a "Panther" sighting in the Oberon area. I did see the plaster casts he took of paw prints.

Who knows... funnier things have been found in the bush, two hunters recently shot a wild bore which turned out to be a Pigmy Hippo and about a year back an American Alligator wandered into a families camp site on the south coast of NSW

Just reading an article about the discovery of a giant 2 mtr long formally unknown species of Lizard found in a heavily populated area of the Philippines. Just goes to show that maybe there are as yet unknown beast roaming out there just waiting for you to wander passed, head down with your head phones on Kon Very Happy

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/1036415/giant-philippines-lizard-species-found

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:04 am

Is that the double dong lizard whats with that, 2 metres long thank god it only eats fruit big b**tard.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  badbarstard on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:45 am

Classic eeary sound of a woman screaming in the night..........it's a fox

badbarstard
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post  musso on Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:26 am

Just to get this thread back on track.
My dad saw a black cat, around 3 feet tall, slink across the road about ten in the a.m, he said the tail was about as long as the cat itself.
This was on the road to Erica/Rawson and the Thompson dam, earlier this year, around March.
Dad has a house in Rawson, so goes there a few times a month.
He told me as he was approaching the 60 kph sign, into Erica, this thing slinked across the road, in no hurry, he and the guy in front of him, had to slow down, so as not to hit the thing.
Apparently, the guy in the front car turned white as a sheet, waved the old man past, and while he was slowly passing him, he yelled out to the old man "did you see that, what the f$#& was it?""
My old man is not the type to make stuff up, he called me that day and told me the story.
They *are* out there!
musso
musso
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  TheH0ward on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:34 am

a fox screams? Ive heard that here by the river but thought it was some kind of bird or a murderous woman going mad. And no, it wasnt me screaming, but yes perhaps im a touch mad Twisted Evil
TheH0ward
TheH0ward
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2010-08-05

Back to top Go down

BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Empty Big Cat Sightings

Post  aussie_rose on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:00 pm

We have a property at Wards River, near Gloucester, nsw. There have been lots of sightings of big, "panther like" cats around the area. Our neighbour had his father staying in a caravan, while they were doing fencing. It came in sniffing around 6 nights in a row. Other people have also seen them on tracks up through the bush. Two weeks ago, my brother in law who has a friend up near our place, saw a fox run out of his hay shed, with a panther like big cat chasing it. I have photos of the foot prints on our property. There have been no sightings of kangaroos when the cat is around. We were up there Sunday and there is not a roo in sight, usually there are mobs of them up in the paddocks. Cessnock area has plenty of sightings too.

They are there.
Rose

aussie_rose

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Empty Re: Big cat sightings...

Post  Oscar on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:47 pm

The sound of a woman screaming in the night is the uncommon sound of the barking owl. I used to live near a nesting pair and was lucky enough to hear their screaming calls a few times.
Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barking_Owl#Voice and http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus=Ninox&species=connivens or google barking owl.

Cheers
Mat.
Oscar
Oscar
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:42 pm

a few years ago we went 4 wheel driving and ened up on top of a massive hill, there was a dam and just heavy bush land. we hopped out to check out the dam as you do, we where half way around the dam and my mate seen these big paw prints inthe mud. we where checking them out to see what kind off animal would leave these print, as they where fresh...we stood up then there was a big massive raw it went right through me. i looked at my mate he was white as a ghost as i was to...i said f this and ran to the 4 wheel drive and shut the door as my mate was just getting in i said what the f was that....still to this day we have no clue but the prints where like a big cat...we have never been back up that way ever since...

Back to top Go down

BIG CAT SIGHTINGS... Empty Nasty Dogs Too!!

Post  Pickles on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Heard stories of guys getting hassled by packs of wild dogs east of Norseman.
One dude got bailed up in his car and the mut was trying to go him through the window Kujo style. Bit of a worry taking the kids out for a quiet weekend in the bush!!

Pick Head

Pickles
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1730
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:50 am

Nice key I hope you kept it.

No seriously I'm not sure what we're looking at. Top bit looks like a roo track only too small. Was there a pad depression that i'm not seeing?
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 661
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:59 am

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1730
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:06 pm

I can remember my first encounter with the big cat.
We were on an excursion with the school. I was standing in line waiting for a feed when i was pushed from behind, turned around to give the kid a thump, and there it was, the biggest meanest looking feral cat i had ever laid eyes on. I had seen it before on telly, but thought it was just a myth as anything you saw on telly was just that, telly. But it was real alright, as real as the nose on my face and the sh!t in my pants, seven foot tall of absolute terror was standing there before me, bobbing its head from side to side and clapping its paws while a little kid stood petrified and unable to run.

Since that day, I have never been to fond of Fat-cat.... or his friends! Razz

One day I will tell you the story of my encounter I had with a large brown bear wearing no pants. study
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum