Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detech 8" mono

3 posters

Go down

Detech 8" mono  Empty Detech 8" mono

Post  Stinky Pete Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi guys
The long awaited 8" round mono from Detech is here.
Field tests have been fantastic, very stable and quiet coil.
Robust construction and super strong mount, no problems to skid this one around!
The coil has a lead angle on the edge of the skid, which helps it glide over the ground.
I just managed my smallest piece of gold ever, topping the scales at .026 of a gram.  cheers 
Also pulled a 1.5 gram nugget at close to 200 mm, this coil is now listed on the site.

Regards Stinky

Stinky Pete
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.detech-metaldetectorsaustralia.com.au

Back to top Go down

Detech 8" mono  Empty Re: Detech 8" mono

Post  kon61 Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:42 pm

G'day fellow prospectors.

After putting Detech's newly released 8 inch round mono coil to the test,over some variably changing,reasonably high sections of mineralized ground,I can safely say and conclude that this small round mono coil,is worthy of being in one's permanent arsenal of GPX Detector coils.
Detech's 8 inch round mono coil,was designed,on account of its tapered bottom edge,to glide effortlessly over and through narrow sections of rocky ground including tussock grass.
The coil ground balances very well,shows no sign of being touch sensitive when bumped into obstacles or scraped over sections of mineralized ground (which is more than I can say for the other 2 mono coils I used and tested in comparison) punches quite deep on positive signals and has amazing sensitivity to the smallest bits of steel,lead shot and of course gold nuggets.It runs smooth and quiet with an even threshold to say the least,even when scraped along reasonably high sections of mineralized ground.
Obviously,due to the coils EMI shielding,EMI was kept to a minimum(giving out even less EMI than that of the NF 12x7 mono and Coiltek 6 inch round,which were latter used for comparison air testing,over the same area and section of ground.Actually,quite good EMI shielding for a small round mono coil I'd say.
Apart from unearthing various bird shot and some of the tiniest steel/iron shrapnel I'v ever come across,over some sections of shallow mineralized ground,ground that's been hammered by every detector coil combination under the sun,a small bit of colour (0.28 of a gram) was also unearthed on a previous half day trip as shown in the pictures below.
Now this might not be a 0.05gm close to the surface,as some have found on this forum through the use of a finely tuned detector/coil combination,but what amazed me most,was that the target was buried down at a measured 4.75 inches,in above average mineralized soil,after scraping away an inch+ of small rock,leaf and twig litter off the surface.
The target signal came in as faint but clear at first,then boomed in the moment the surface was cleared of debris,as if the target was either large in size or very close to the coil.Now depths like this might not sound much for GPX 5000 users using small coils,but it was found with a GPX 4000.
This has to be one of the most stable and quiet small round mono coil I'v ever used over mineralized ground.
Like its 15x8 elliptical mono brother,the 8 inch round mono coil,is another solid,very well made mono coil by Detech of Bulgaria,designed especially for the Minelab GPX series detectors,(not to say it won't work well on the SD or GP series pending on the amount of mineralization present in the ground) which I can safely recommend to any Minelab PI user.
Thumbs up to Detech (Bulgaria) and Stinky Pete(of Detech Australia) for introducing coils of this quality and calibre,for the use of prospecting/metal detecting within Australia's harshest of ground conditions in search of the "Golden Ointment".
Air tests bellow,were performed only with the Minelab GPX 4000/4500,for I did not have possession of the 5000 at this point in time.The results given must not be taken as gospel,for once targets including gold nuggets are removed from their natural resting place,of who knows how long,have a tendency to lose depth over that when buried in natural ground due to the loss of "halo effect" surrounding the target.
Air tests on the 0.28gm nugget & three pence were found to be as follows;

GPX 4000 in Sensitive Smooth,General,Fixed,FP Gain of 8,Mono mode,Audio normal.

Coiltek 6 inch round mono coil  :   :   :   silver 3 pence  :  0.28gm nugget

10.5"               4"

Nugget Finder 12x7 mono coli   :   :   :        11"                 3.5"

Detech 8 inch round mono coil  :   :   :        10.5               4"

GPX 4500 in Enhance,General,Fixed,mono FP Gain of 8,Audio normal.

Coiltec 6 inch round mono coil  :   :   :   silver 3 pence  :  0.28gm nugget

9.5"               4"

Nugget Finder 12x7 mono coil   :   :   :        12"                 4.5"

Detech 8 inch round mono coil  :   :   :        12"                 5"

Detech 8" mono  4ce4e131-b486-45ff-be79-d11f2b5caf55_zps216c9747

Detech 8" mono  D7d97706-054c-4471-afa5-25673aadcc78_zps36dce05b

Detech 8" mono  A4556046-0169-478d-a8a1-271468ca2fac_zps54b925b6

Detech 8" mono  C4793ee6-a447-4005-a97f-441a71f792d4_zps89f944de

PS,The three pence used for testing is on the Detech coil in the picture of the 3 coils together with the 0.28gm nugget,not the 5 cent coin.
All tests were quite conservative regarding depth comparison between coils.In other words,targets tested,were able to be heard faint but clearly before taking measurements.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:15 pm

Detech 8" mono  BFEF3DDD-E7CC-484C-9AC2-B1738F6CFE04.png_1

We bougt the 8" mono maybe 6 months back,i was keen to try the detech coils out and thought we could do with a 8", ive been using it as a clean up coil,pretty impressed with it,as Kon says the bump sensativity is a non event,i get the feeling you'd have to swing the detector like a golf club against a tree to get any bump noise out of this coil. The emi seems good also but i havent used a 8" mono for years so i can't comment on comparisons agains other 8" mono's.
 It barks on small bits,i don't weigh the tiny nuggets until i sell them Very Happy - so im not sure what the smallest has weighed.......
  Its got gold from @ .2 odd to a bit under half oz and paid for itself the first day i used it i remember.
  When i got it i thought oh it doesn't have a skidplate,later i realised its that good a fit (skidplate) it looks like the moulding on the coil.
Got to pull my finger out and order the 18x12 (my favourate coil),need one badly but have a few other coils and bills and living keep getting in the way! Crying or Very sad
I don't usually plug detecting gear but being new to the market people will be interested to hear feedback.

Last edited by goldchaser on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : blabla)
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi Goldchaser
You have my attention.
As I can't afford much either..
So I might look into that 8 inch mono, on my 4500 it should work well.. Very Happy

The SDC2300 shall be forgotten. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:17 pm

Jen58 wrote:Hi Goldchaser
You have my attention.
As I can't afford much either..
So I might look into that 8 inch mono, on my 4500 it should work well.. Very Happy

The SDC2300 shall be forgotten. Twisted Evil

$220 versus $4k,no brainer for me Jen,if you havent got a small coil might be worth getting one.
 Or you can take mine out for a few days to try when ya in WA.
 The .02 might be .2's also,i dont weigh them small bits,been working mainly laterite and its noisy,depth and sensativity take a hit on that stuff......

PS: For me its not all about pinging small gold either,you can stick these small coils in under bushes and branches where your bigger coil might not fit.
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down