Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds?

+16
Black Al
Redfin
Rustydog
kon61
barkly48
leadmagnet
Tributer
slimpickens
matelot
countdown
NoseHair Bob
lonewolf
getascripter
philip.j.thompson
bedrock
Twapster
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds?

Post  Twapster Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Do I need to practice the wiggle or does it come naturally? If i'm gonna be lying on my back for 5 minutes squealing like a stuffed pig with detector in on hand and nugget in the other...I should really start practicing soon!

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2013-06-19

Back to top Go down

Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds?

Post  Tributer Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Twapster wrote:Do I need to practice the wiggle or does it come naturally? If i'm gonna be lying on my back for 5 minutes squealing like a stuffed pig with detector in on hand and nugget in the other...I should really start practicing soon!

Peter
If i were you i would practice wiggling around and squealing like a pig with your nugget in the privacy of your home . I would not practice it in Dunolly or Hill End.
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Twapster Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Why do I hear so many people say Mullock Heap in these forums? Is it that because the old timers have dug up the ground for us?

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Well if it weren't the old timers Pete,I'd hate to see the size of the Bush Turky that dug them.Laughing 

Cheers Kon.What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Twapster Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Mullock heaps seem to come up a real lot in the search for gold, I tend to walk away from them but it seems there's gold in them heaps! Are these heaps a good source of gold? I'm guessing because the old timers were on the gold, but didn't have a GPX 5000!

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Back in the mid 90s,reasonable size gold in the gram/multi-gram size,were coming out of mullock heaps with VLFs,such as that of the,original Gold Bug,Whites V/Sats,Minelab XTs and latter Gold Bug 11 in 96,not alone the odd ouncer. The moment pulse was introduced back in 95,such as that of the SD 2000,mulloks came alive again producing gold once more at at greater depths than the VLFs especially over hotter mullock toss-out. From the  late seventies onwards,gold on certain mullock heaps around the Castlemain,Dunolly,Maryborough,Wedderburn,Tunnungulla,Kingower belt etc,fell claim to the Garret Ground Hogs,up to the multi-ounce range. Yep,you heard me right.What was found and existed then over some of the richer hand dug mullock heaps,were a sight for sore eyes,but rarely exist or found today,simply because its depleted.The real damage came with the introduction of the SDs,pulling in some (of what was considered then),phenomenal depth with the larger DD coils and mono's on a majority size of multigram/multy ounce gold over the richer surrounding surfaced flats.

Cheers Kon.What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustydog Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:53 pm

about 18 months or so back i traded some gold i had found with the pan and banjo for a modified sd2000 , needless to say the banjo and pan has still found more gold than the detector lol
Rustydog
Rustydog
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:56 am

kon61 wrote:Back in the mid 90s,reasonable size gold in the gram/multi-gram size,were coming out of mullock heaps with VLFs,such as that of the,original Gold Bug,Whites        Cheers Kon.What a Face
And back in the early 80's my cousin showed me pictures of multi ounce chunks, a 20 oz and a 50 oz from throw out heaps in shallow diggings at Kingower, that patch was dozed for about 400oz he told me. He got enough gold back then to buy a 25 ac block and build a nice house on it. He reckons his house was built from gold, I tend to agree. cheers 

How the old timers threw out those size nuggets is beyond me, but maybe in the rush to get it before the next bloke they weren't that careful and big bits got chucked out.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:22 am

Well,yep,that would explain most of the reason Dave and chunks of gold like that were certainly recorded coming off heaps in the late 70s and through out the 80s. It was always a mad rush after word got out,of new found riches elsewhere,to get to new ground first.The rest would be due to lack of water or equipment at the time,to process their tailings/heaps,especially where the ground was found to be reasonably shallow & nuggety rich.

Cheers Kon.What a Face

Last edited by kon61 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:23 am

Quote : And back in the early 80's my cousin showed me pictures of multi ounce chunks, a 20 oz and a 50 oz from throw out heaps in shallow diggings at Kingower, that patch was dozed for about 400oz he told me.  He got enough gold back then to buy a 25 ac block and build a nice house on it.  He reckons his house was built from gold, I tend to agree. cheers 

How the old timers threw out those size nuggets is beyond me, but maybe in the rush to get it before the next bloke they weren't that careful and big bits got chucked out.

cheers dave   End quote.

One of the members here  told me that sometimes gold looks grey ( probably from the dirt it`s in ) ,so that may be why some got thrown out into the mullock heaps. Someone else told me that small private parties were more careful & didn`t miss much ,but bigger mining companies weren`t so thorough.

HH

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:40 am

On the contrary HH.The bigger the mining company the bigger and better methods they used to process the rich gold bearing soils/reefs on their mining lease.The smaller private parties might have been more thorough in processing their smaller claims,but got no where near the ounces of gold the larger mining companies did.

Cheers Kon.What a Face 
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:22 pm

The bigger companies would still miss some gold ,wouldn`t they ? Couldn`t imagine it being an exact science that works to get every bit of gold from thousands of tonnes of processed dirt or quartz.

Spillage from the stampers & sluice boxes might also yield gold on the ground,so that is another avenue to explore ,I guess.

HH

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:31 pm

A couple of years ago went to get a feed of yabbies at a place we had been to 100 times before.
Threw yabbie nets in, beer not quite cold enough so relo says might have a swing with the SD2000.
10 minutes later does a little dance.
I look and more dancing.
a few weeks later a brand spanking new 3L turbo diesel twin cab ute, the change went on an extended big lap of the country.
And i forgot the nets.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Twapster Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:26 pm

I love catching Yabbies! However a big nugget would surely get my attention. Even more if I could buy a new car or a few acres out in the bush! Livin the dream.

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Al Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:48 am

I have found enough gold to buy 2x 4wd, new custom tilt trailer, brand new 4wd Polaris quad, two GPX Minelabs brand new, and everything you need to surrive in the bush for six months straight.
Just remember like anything in life, the more hard work & research you put in the better the results. If you've bought a detector and expect results cause you stumped up thousands of dollars, is just like saying cause you just bought a race car you expect to win. But rest assured you will pay for more than you expect with the right research. Keep in mind my biggest nugget so far that I have found is only 6.7grams. There's plenty of gold still out there and luck has nothing to do with it, just hard work. The only luck involved is how big your targets turn out to be!
Just remember" When In Doubt, Dig It Out".
Happy Prospecting, Black Al.
Black Al
Black Al
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2013-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Scratchin4nuggets Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Yeh right black al.........word around the goldfields was you were going to give it away until a guy took you to his honey holes.
You then poached his honey holes while he wasnt there.
Is that true?
I hope not or its bad form and something prospectors dont do.

Scratchin4nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Scratchin4nuggets wrote:Yeh right black al.........word around the goldfields was you were going to give it away until a guy took you to his honey holes.
You then poached his honey holes while he wasnt there.
Is that true?
I hope not or its bad form and something prospectors dont do.
Maybe they were matchbox 4x4's , micro machine tip trailer and polaris quad in which case I would believe those claims .
His avatar pic looks like an entire collection to me

Back to top Go down

Post  lbg dreamer Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Do either of the above 2 posters 
Have any proof to back up these allegations ?
Or is this just here say ?
This may get interesting
lbg dreamer
lbg dreamer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Scratchin4nuggets Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Hello Yandoit gold,
You may be right there my friend.
My local drinking holes are either Sofala or Hill end. I havent been on this forum for a long while,or looked for gold as I like to shoot pigs,goats n deer.
Long story short,I and the rest of the local boys have heard of this black al before.
I dont trust most people from the city,but wouldnt trust this guy as far as I could kick him.

Scratchin4nuggets
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Yeah I have proof right here in my stack of papers under the calculator , but next to the scale rule , which is right beside my wallet .

Besides , where are you when minelab puppets jump on here with all their allegations of tripe ?
we never see you demanding hard evidence of their allegations and you seem to be quite happy with "hearsay "

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Al Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Look I don't need to prove myself over rumors that go around. If you think that I only find gold in NSW from a few glory holes then you can beleive that story. Just was trying to offer a bit of inspiration for other prospectors, but seems that you guys have nothing better than to cause riff raff on the forums and start rumors. Well if that's how fellow members respond to a post then I won't bother posting again.
Enjoy the rumor mill and ill enjoy actual prospecting.
Cheers Black Al.
Black Al
Black Al
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2013-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:26 pm

Come on guys,lets not let things get out of hand here.So far posts have been quite civil,lets not get our nickers in a knot.Besides hear say is one thing,proof beyond a doubt is another.
By the way Hush Hush,your last post is very correct in what you say.No one gets it all,regardless of how thorough they are in processing,nor in the size of mining operation.

Cheers Kon.What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  lbg dreamer Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:35 pm

YandoitGold wrote:Yeah I have proof right here in my stack of papers under the calculator , but next to the scale rule , which is right beside my wallet .

Besides , where are you when minelab puppets jump on here with all their allegations of tripe ?
we never see you demanding hard evidence of their allegations  and you seem to be quite happy with "hearsay "

We're am I Razz 
I'm out swinging a Minelab or my whites gmt 
As I like going out bringing back a little gold nearly every trip .
And enjoy looking for it ,
And spending time in the bush ,
I only really browse the forums here and there !
As I don't enjoy being stuck behind a computer .
While I'm swinging ill use the best machine I can
Minelab and whites are that for me .
But if something comes along better 
I'm not biased and will add it to my kit .
Have you got inside secret information about a better machine your not telling us 
Yandoitgold? 
I just didn't think it fair you make allegations and have no proof 
But everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it Very Happy 
So it's not a dig at you yandoitgold
Don't take it personal .
We're all friends here Very Happy
lbg dreamer
lbg dreamer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Black Al wrote:I have found enough gold to buy 2x 4wd, new custom tilt trailer, brand new 4wd Polaris quad, two GPX Minelabs brand new, and everything you need to surrive in the bush for six months straight.
Just remember like anything in life, the more hard work & research you put in the better the results. If you've bought a detector and expect results cause you stumped up thousands of dollars, is just like saying cause you just bought a race car you expect to win. But rest assured you will pay for more than you expect with the right research. Keep in mind my biggest nugget so far that I have found is only 6.7grams. There's plenty of gold still out there and luck has nothing to do with it, just hard work. The only luck involved is how big your targets turn out to be!
Just remember" When In Doubt, Dig It Out".
Happy Prospecting, Black Al.
Now let me see. scratch 
1st    4wd ………………………………………………. Minimum   $25,000
2nd   4wd ………………………………………………. Minimum   $25,000
Tilt trailer………………………………………………………………..     $5,000
Polaris Quad …………………………………………………………..   $10,000
6 months food at $200 per week………………………………  $5,000
2 x Minelab 4500’s  …………………………………………………  $10 000
                                          Total  …………………………… $80,000
His biggest nugget weighed 6.7grams. At $50.00 per gram = $335.00
Divide $80000 x $335.00 = 238.8
This means that he would have had to have found a minimum of 238.8 nuggets all at 6.7grams.
Or 1600 nuggets x 1gram.
This is possible isn’t?  scratch
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Twapster Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Sorry guys didn't wish to casue an argument. Im off to Hill End on the long weekend so going to scope some new territory with the highbanker. I think its around Tambaroora.

Will let you know if I find any yellow stuff!

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:25 pm

No major arguments as yet Twapster,everybody here is entitled to their opinion.Any body remeber the words of Doris in the old classic Australian series called "Number 96" "Let me be the best judge of that Herbert".Laughing 

Cheers Kon.What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennisw Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:54 pm

I am lucky enough to live close to prospecting areas and have been finding gold for over 60 years, I think I used the last lot I sold to pay the gas, light and phone bills. I haven't sold any for a while and will be sitting on it for a bit in case the overseas pundits are right and gold price is about to surge, former head of US Federal Reserve recently said gold is the only safe investment at present and some are suggesting it could go as high as US$16,000 (that's right sixteen thousand) if they are right we will see a lot more people out there looking.

Dennisw
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:22 pm

US$16,000 FFS! affraid  more people out there..................... I'm leaving now T18 .

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2