Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds?

+16
Black Al
Redfin
Rustydog
kon61
barkly48
leadmagnet
Tributer
slimpickens
matelot
countdown
NoseHair Bob
lonewolf
getascripter
philip.j.thompson
bedrock
Twapster
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds? Empty Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds?

Post  Twapster Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:15 pm

As a new prospector i'm doing a lot of research, heading out to the fields again soon with my highbanker and detector and pans. It just occurred to me to ask an important question as to whether I may actually find paydirt on my prospecting adventures? How many of you out there have paid for something special with the cash you earned selling your finds? I know coins may fetch a fortune......but what about GOLD finds???

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2013-06-19

Back to top Go down

Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds? Empty Re: Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds?

Post  Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Not yet for me. I haz no skilz Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds? Empty Re: Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds?

Post  Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi Twapster,
Most of us probably would cover our expenses with our finds.(but its very interesting and enjoyable hobby cheers )
One of the reason is its not a job, detect every couple weeks for a day).

I have not sell any of my gold  but the plan is to do  new wedding rings  for me and my wife for our 25 wedding anniversary.(next year)
The rest of the gold she wants to do a nice bracelet.

So at least will have enjoyment wearing it every day.

GoldEN

Last edited by golden on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add)

Back to top Go down

Post  Twapster Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:38 pm

That's pretty damn cool!

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  bedrock Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 pm

many many moons ago when living in Kalgoorlie for a year,
I used to pay my house rent with gold nuggets found. It was not uncommon
then to come home from a days detecting with enough gold to cover
living expenses and more Smile....those were the days Shocked 
bedrock
bedrock
bedrock
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1063
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Back to top Go down

Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds? Empty gold value

Post  philip.j.thompson Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Mate to me it has always been the adventure
regards Phil

philip.j.thompson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 725
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:46 pm

My collection is steadily growing but I wouldn't say that my hobby is going to make me rich! And I am certainly NOT prepared to give my gold away ... I wait & save up for the things that I need.

To pay my costs? I'd have to find half an ounce a month to pay my costs ... haven't quite got there yet! Mad  affraid  lol! 
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds? Empty RE: Who has actually paid for something with cash from gold finds?

Post  lonewolf Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 pm

Twapster wrote:As a new prospector i'm doing a lot of research, heading out to the fields again soon with my highbanker and detector and pans. It just occurred to me to ask an important question as to whether I may actually find paydirt on my prospecting adventures? How many of you out there have paid for something special with the cash you earned selling your finds? I know coins may fetch a fortune......but what about GOLD finds???

Peter
G'Day twapster bought my wife a 18 month old sd2100 while she was in hospital having a op back in the 90's she still swings it and often kicks my butt, oh well whats mine is hers and hers is you all no how it goes. Twisted Evil Very Happy  cheers lonewolf.

lonewolf
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Twapster Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm sure there's someone out there that has hit a random small jackpot and used the gold to buy something nice...im not talking "the big nugget', but enough to pay for a holiday or something similar. I still think making a ring from your own gold is pretty cool!

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:08 pm

I sold all the gold i found so far this year!

Got a Big Mac meal, mars bar, two cans of coke, 1 of 9 volt battery, enough petrol to rum my lawn mower twice around me suburban block!

Thats with gold trading at $50 a gram!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:48 pm

I have used my gold to pay for my 5000 and coils, swing pro harness and heaps of other things.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Can I follow you around? I'll be your shadow. Keep you safe in the bush Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  NoseHair Bob Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 pm

The few people I've known who go out detecting keep their gold. Some of them say they're watching and waiting for price spikes in the metal so as to sell (They haven't sold it yet when they could have) and others it seems just like hording it or having it around. I don't think I would be sentimental at all with pieces I've found, and unless gold prices were in the gutter, I'd move it on.

NoseHair Bob
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  countdown Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:18 pm

I sold my scrotum nugget last year on ebay , I named it that because it looked just like a scrotum with two balls .
with the money a paid ebay then paypal fees and with the left overs I got a full tank of diesel .
I should've kept it !

countdown
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2013-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Face book has some kind of free selling section. I think people feel comfy using it as they can instantly name and shame you if their is an issue.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twapster Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 am

Looks like the big spenders are keeping hush, and sounds like a lot of prospectors cant help but keep their finds. Maybe the blood sweat and tears from hours and hours of searching for that half grammer make it so much harder to part with!

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  matelot Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:56 am

Hi Twapster, There is a rumour going around that you work for the Taxation Dept. affraid 

????????????? Q10 

Regards Roger pirat 
matelot
matelot
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:01 am

matelot wrote:Hi Twapster, There is a rumour going around that you work for the Taxation Dept.   affraid 

?????????????    Q10 

Regards Roger   pirat 
Well spotted! Q36 
Hmmm, just looked up the word Twap. To take shirt off ones back, to remove pennies from a dead mans eyes, to harass, vulture like. Good work Roger.

Ps. Hey Roger, it looks like we gave each other the clap within the same minute. You don't know Shirley from sales do ya? ( Hope it's not too contagious!) Twisted Evil 
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:07 pm

lol! I got the one Shiraz, not the clap though. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  matelot Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Shiraz, She didn't want to know me after you. Q18 

Regards Roger Q23 
matelot
matelot
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:52 pm

matelot wrote:Shiraz, She didn't want to know me after you.  Q18 

Regards Roger  Q23 
Yeah sorry, it's a cross I have to bear. Cool  Very Happy 
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Twapster/Peter. I have had some luck and have managed to pay for all my detecting gear and prospecting trip costs with my finds. That my ongoing target and i was able to start paying for my hobby with finds after two years of starting detecting. In the last 4 years.... I found a 25 oz patch a week before my Pajero blew a motor so i got a troopie. My wife was next in line and when a nice nugget popped out of the ground in WA she physically grabbed it from the dirt (i did not see it) and she ran off screaming it was the new kitchen nugget.and she got a new kitchen. A year later and we put a big dent in our home mortgage with a nuggie. My next target is $30,000 for deposit for an investment house in SE QLD and i have $22,000 in nuggets so far that i will send to the refiner when i reach the target.  I love this hobby.  

Peter, If you are from the ATO:D  you would know my gold finds are from my hobby and not taxable and do not even need to be declared on my tax returns. My prospecting tip Peter... is to spend alot of time looking for gold not on old diggings. Tributer

Last edited by Tributer on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fix grammer-add line)
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  leadmagnet Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:36 pm

My word all the gold ive found panning and highbanking over the last ten years has paid for heaps of things.

Off the top of my head heres a short list

5 sets of tires for my old triton

Enough paint to paint my house inside and out

A new lawnmower

A stihl farmboss chainsaw

Yep i can hear you thinking, you just bought yourself more work with those things, but i needed those things and my hobby paid for them, much more fun working for gold than my regular job

cheers steve Very Happy 

leadmagnet
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Twapster Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:10 pm

I think some of you guys r a bit paranoid... and no not from the ATO!

I think the best advice so far is from Tributer - getting out a little from known gold spots....I've got a few areas i'm scoping out at the moment. Just don't get too much time off my work "at the ATO" lol.Shocked Laughing 

Hard part is I don't like going bush by myself so need to keep a pub and pokies nearby for the wife......only then will she follow 10m behind on her Iphone with earplugs looking bored as ever! At least she holds the water for when I get thirsty out there. Id like my first nugget to be something I can hang round her neck to prove it was all worth it, or get that ring made that she always complains I never gave her. I can only hope and keep digging!

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  barkly48 Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:38 pm

""5 sets of tires for my old triton""

Crikey, 5 sets in ten years? I didn't think a triton was much of a tyre shredder... lol! 

barkly48
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2012-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  leadmagnet Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:00 am

:lol barkly48, yep the old triton isnt a speed machine and im no rev head.

But its pretty much goat country where i drive it, mainly the sidewalls and staked tires Shocked 

leadmagnet
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Twapster Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:14 pm

So there we have it guys, asked and answered. Close to 1000 views and all I have to look forward to is a few sets of tyres, maybe some petrol money, and the dream of one day using the gold I find to make a ring for the wife. You really haven't left me inspired so I will have to inspire myself! I prospect because I love getting out in the bush and forgetting about my city woes. I can be that free spirit for a weekend...which is priceless....I can breathe that fresh air and for a moment I don't have a care in the world. No board meetings to prep for, no staffing issues to deal with, no phone calls from the bank telling me my payments are overdue! One thing I can say is I will wriggle around like a little baby when I find my first true nugget. I will probably get bitten by a snake as I lay down in the bush and do the gold dance on my back, but that day will be a special day for me.

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Twapster Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:17 pm

wow, with that comment I just became a contributer! Freaky!!!!

Peter

Twapster
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Who has actually paid for something with the cash from Gold finds? Empty -who-has-actually-paid-for-something-with-the-cash-from-gold-finds

Post  Guest Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 pm

hi twapster, good luck out there bud. Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Peter, i have seen a few people wiggling on their back on a mullock heap after finding their first nugget. Its a great sight and i am sure you will be wiggling soon.

Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum