Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving to Exmouth Western Australia!

+2
slimpickens
69Spike
6 posters

Go down

Moving to Exmouth Western Australia! Empty Moving to Exmouth Western Australia!

Post  69Spike Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:23 am

G'day all,
I'm new to the site, and this is my first post.
I joined your site to try and gain some valuable knowledge from the wealth of resources that everyone in here has.
As the title says, I'm moving to Exmouth WA in January 2014, and have decided to take up the added hobby of prospecting to my other hobby - fishing! I've heard Exmouth is a fabulous gateway to some remarkable fishing, and can't wait to try it out for myself!
But I'm here for the prospecting!
My family and I love travelling and camping, and plan on spending a considerable amount of time doing just that while exploring what WA has to offer. During our year travelling, I noticed a great number of travellers prospecting with MD and must admit that it caught my imagination and has been kindling in the back of my mind ever since. My old man is obsessed with gold, and has always urged me to buy a detector. Well the time has finally come!
Like everyone else new to this forum, I want to get the best MD that I can afford - and I have a budget of around $1000.
I must admit I read a lot of forums and troll the internet trying to understand what would be the best MD for my needs.
I've joined this site hoping for some idea of what type MD to purchase, and to ask for anyone's feedback who is willing to share.
Obviously I'll be living near the coast, and will have a number of 'Ranges' to explore also. I'd love to go relic hunting, but also fossick along the beaches when work permits. When camping with my family, I'd like to fossick for gold if possible. I'm thinking of getting my daughter a beginners MD so she can search for coins etc so that she can be involved at the same time. She already fossicks for unusual rocks and stones, so I guess I'm just progressing her to the next level of fossicking!
With all this in mind, I'm really not sure which way to go? Would I be wasting my money if I bought a VLF MD, considering I'm in WA? Or should I look at a IP MD? This is where I get confused....
I'll continue reading through the volumes of forums on this site, and see what seems to be the general consensus, but I just wanted to put my story out there to see what type of feedback I would get.
Now, enough of my ranting. Its time to look through the site and read everyone else's stories.
Cheers
'Spike'

Last edited by 69Spike on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : OPSEC)
69Spike
69Spike
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-08-03

Back to top Go down

Moving to Exmouth Western Australia! Empty Re: Moving to Exmouth Western Australia!

Post  slimpickens Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:22 pm

G,day Spike, welcome aboard. First the easy bit. Buy your daughter a Fisher F2, or F4 or a Garrett 150 or 250 off Ebay,you can't go wrong. Now as far as gold detecting, forget the VLF's. The minimum would have to be a Minelab SD2200, around the $2000 mark, it's got nothing to do what you can afford but all to do with the minimum required. It's a bit like going elephant hunting, there is a minimum calibre required. It's pointless saying , all I can afford is a .22 rifle so I will shoot at elephants with that, it obviously won't be powerful enough. There will be dealers who will try to sell you a Vlf and tell you that is adequate for gold detecting, don't bother with them. All the best, Harry
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Moving to Exmouth Western Australia! Empty Re: Moving to Exmouth Western Australia!

Post  marty Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi Spike, well said Harry that in my book is an excellent answer on the gold side. I'd probably lean towards a GP Extreme but then as you say you need a bit more coin unless you get lucky. I like the bit about the .22 and the elephant, explains it well. Good Luck Spike. MARTY (keep ya head down !)

marty
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post  69Spike Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks Harry and Marty for your honest answers. I can appreciate and certainly understand where you are both coming from. I will just have to save some more and/or look 2nd hand to start off with.
With regard to the MD for my daughter, will the options you have provided have any major issues I read about regarding the high mineralization in the soils found in WA? I'd hate to get her something that can't deal with the type of country we'll be living in. I'd hate to see her throw it in when I should be helping her explore and grow with the hobby.
Cheers gents, and all the best.
Spike
69Spike
69Spike
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi Spike, you can try using the coin detector for relics and such if it can handle the mineralisation, but really their main use, where they work really well, is in parks and on the beach searching for coins and jewellery. If you want to get your daughter addicted to detecting, take her to the beach every night in summer after the crowds have gone. My Fisher F5 with a 10" x 5" DD coil can handle the  mineralisation a little better but is really only good for beaches and parks. Harry
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  69Spike Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:33 pm

After a lot of reading through many online forums and websites, I think my best bet at this early stage of my MDing hobby, probably the more appropriate MD for me will be a Minelab X-terra 705 dual coil pack.
I think for the geographic location I'm moving to, and my limited if non existant experience, this is probably one of the better options for me.
I just don't have the $$$ to get a IP MD that was suggested on this site, especially since I'm only a beginner.
Do you think I could cope and learn on the 705? Or will this cause me more frustration and turn me away from this hobby?
The reviews I have read make me think this is my best option - somewhat limited I agree, but due to the ground type etc, I think it would provide a better option than say the AT Pro or AT Gold. This way I get the best bang for my buck on both coin, relic, and delving into gold when the opportunity exists.
Rembering I only have a budget of around $1000.
What's your thoughts?
Cheers Spike
69Spike
69Spike
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:04 pm

69Spike wrote:After a lot of reading through many online forums and websites, I think my best bet at this early stage of my MDing hobby, probably the more appropriate MD for me will be a Minelab X-terra 705 dual coil pack.
I think for the geographic location I'm moving to, and my limited if non existant experience, this is probably one of the better options for me.
Cheers Spike

Hi Spike, there's nothing wrong in trying the 705, I'm sure you will learn a lot from using it. The very least, you will have a ball detecting the beaches with your daughter. Cheers Harry
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Moving to Exmouth Western Australia! Empty Choices

Post  mungoman Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:25 pm

69Spike...Go with what you can mate, after all, you've done your homework and it is your business and nobody elses....

P.S Exmouth is the only town I've come across where there are road traffic signs warning you of Emus...AS YOU ENTER TOWN...see photo below

Moving to Exmouth Western Australia! 445_ed10
mungoman
mungoman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2012-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Jdseen Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:43 pm

69spike,

I think some valid points have been raised directly reflected towards you and your position and expression of freedom. (Internet)

What is concerning is if your experience is as you state, then I wonder why you fail to adhere to OPSEC requirements, I refer you to one small aspect of OPSEC:

'not talking openly on social media sites about information on the unit's critical information list (military deployments)'. I need not remind you of the importance of OPSEC, considering your a seasoned vet.

I suggest you all stick to gold discussions and keep your job details to yourself.

Jdseen

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post  69Spike Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks Jdseen for the reminder,
I didn't think I went into any specifics, but I've edited my posts to remove any issues that could be seen as breaking OPSEC.
69Spike
69Spike
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gef50 Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:49 pm

On ya Spike .. there is prospecting area across the gulf in the Ashburton area .. I lived there for a number of years and it is a lovely spot... worked on the base. Nice people in town too once you get to know them .. small town of about 3500 when I was there and doubles in the tourist season... any how good luck. You may find some relics on the beaches .. was some wrecks around the coast area ...and great fishing , snorkling , camping etc....
Geoff
gef50
gef50
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2008-10-24

http://www.vkteksolutions.com

Back to top Go down