Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones

+3
kevlorraine2
Jigalong
bessina
7 posters

Go down

Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Empty Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones

Post  bessina Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:54 am

Yesterday whilst detecting in Creswick, using JP's double speaker setup, I heard a loud crack in the distance, looked over to my left and
saw a Eucalypt with a circumference of approx. a metre and a half crash to the ground, admittantly it was windy up in Creswick yesterday and it got me thinking , if I heard a crack like that closer to where I was , would I have time to take evasive action, let alone look after my dog as well, It's certainly made me much more aware and prepared, one has to wonder if this would have been heard with headphones!! Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Kopfschuettel Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Kopfschuettel It is also a reminder to try and park your vehicle in as open a position as possible.
Cheers
Bessina Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Icon_idea

bessina
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-02-08

Back to top Go down

Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Empty Re: Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones

Post  Jigalong Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:27 am

I agree that speakers have a big down side in that you cut yourself off from what is going on around you. I have had a couple of big frights when using mine and they can be a pain in the butt in hot weather.

But I have some hearing loss and I find they work better for me, so I put up with the disadvantages.

They keep the flies off your ears though !

Jigalong
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Empty Re: Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones

Post  Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:47 am

Gday Jigg

I am assuming that you mean "headphones" not "speakers" have a down side to cutting you off from whats going on around you?

Sometimes I will use headphones but its only when I am looking for deep stuff, but now that I pretty much use the speakers 99% of the time I have become so used to them that I doubt I could go back to headphones as I find them so uncomfortable and I like the freedom of the speaker set up much more.

One time while detecting and using headphones and in in my own world of concentration, I happened to look up, maybe because I sensed I was being watched, there were two bulls standing not more than fifty metres in front of me, and when I realised it I stopped dead in my tracks and then very slowly started to walk backwards, and at the same time gearing myself up for a 100 yard dash, the bulls were only young but had biggish and sharpish looking horns, but they actually just sort of watched me with more like a gaze of curiosity more than malice. Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Icon_pale

After getting some distance between them and me I turned and wandered away, having a backward glance over the shoulder to see what they were doing, I am sure they were looking at eachother and saying "what the hell was that thing?" or "Dunno I dont remember seeing one of those things about here before" all jokes aside it could have been very messy, and I probably would never have known what hit me.

If I was using the speakers they would have been long gone as they would have heard me from hundreds of metres away and bolted.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Jigalong Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:00 am

stayyerAU,

Yes, I meant headphones - I had a seniors moment.

Often people I have detected with, have walked up to me and unintentionally scared the crap out of me, so I know how easy it is to be cut off from what is around you.

Regarding comfort, I used to get sore ears, but not any more. I bought the latest Ratphone headphones from the USA. They seem to clamp onto my head and I don't get any discomfort now. They also have a volume adjustment for each ear, so I can turn it up a bit on my bad ear (from where a .243 went off a few years ago !)

Cheers,

Jig.
Jigalong
Jigalong
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1316
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Empty headphones / speakers

Post  kevlorraine2 Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:21 pm

stayyer and jig, i still use the under the chin stetascope in the ear headphones.

with them i can hear all around me, no trouble. problem is stayyer i would be like your scrubber bulls,- long gone - as i cant stand being around people useing the speaker systems. impossible to detect around them.
way to noisy. -- a good weapon to keep others at bay -- ... kev

(come across a young fella, who i knew had just bought his setup two days ago, he hadnt learnt how to use his speaker system properly. i couldnt get within a couple of hundred yards of him, no kidding) Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Affraid

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  goldslinger Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi
I prefer headphones for hearing those faint signals also you get to see a lot more wildlife Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Icon_lol
goldslinger
goldslinger
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Gday Jig

Im hearing you mate, the seniors moments are becoming more frequent these days for me too Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Icon_lol , and I know what you mean when people sneak up on you and scare the crap out of you, the last bloke ran off with my pick in his head, inconsiderate sod never brought it back either, I liked that pick too Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Icon_sad .

And Kevlorraine2?, thats one of the best reasons to use the speaker as it keeps all manner of pests away from you, especially the ones that circle around you like a great white when they see you get a piece and want to come in for a slice of the action, all jokes aside I like to see the wildlife too but anything that bites or has pointy bits I prefer to see from a distance thanks all the same.

There are times when you would turn to the headphones in preference to the speakers, like when its 5 degrees and your ears are frozen stiff, or theres a howling wind blowing and you cant hear stuff all , but when its hot and sweaty the speakers win hands down for me, its all about comfort, you have to be comfortable while detecting because if you are not then you have a limited attention span and its easy to miss things.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  gollstar Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:20 pm

The headphones are annoying in the heat even more so when digging a big hole and you have sweat pouring off you, ive never tried speakers but ive been thinking about it while its been hot, ive got the koss UR 30 headphones is the UR 80's any better or the same,

I spoke to a dude detecting and he had some head phones under his chin they looked like normal walkman earplug type ones it looked cooler on the head but does this type hurt the inside of your ear.
gollstar
gollstar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:28 pm

The TD80's are much better gollstar!
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi Inhere
Just wondering why the ur 80s are better than the ur 30s.
Looking at them the ur 30s look better made and are more comfortable, I bought a second set as spare and even had to pay more than what I could have bought the UR 80 for.
Cheers mark.
Hope I'm not missing out on hearing nuggets
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:02 am

G'day Mark,
I have never used ur80's, I have heard from a mate that bought, I think Koss ur85's, that some
of the latest Koss headphones are not that good.
The TD80's were the older ones and were a great headphone, much better then the ur30's. Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Icon_wink
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:32 am

Gday

The Koss TD80s are really good headphones and are a lot better performance wise than the UR30s, I have not tried the UR80s? so I dont know about them, the UR30s have a larger and more padded earmuff than the TD80s and are possibly more comfortable to wear but lack performance compared to the TD80s, which were more than twice the price to buy.

I think that if you have to use headphones you need to use the best you can get, the TD80s as far as I know are not available from minelab anymore and luckily I managed to score a brand new set from someone on ebay a year or two ago, so they do come up from time to time,As I gave my originals to a lady that bought my old gp3500 on ebay, and then she bitched and complained that I had ripped her off by giving the the TD80s instead of the UR30s that she must have seen on the net or something, I told her that they were much better quality and that they were really well suited to the gp3500, and were more than twice the price of the UR30s to buy, she wasnt convinced and didnt even leave me feedback or anything, some people, Another reason to use Speakers rather than Headphones Icon_clown .

I have tried several under chin type headphones and some behind the head types as well, I didnt like the feeling of the pressure inside the ear by the earbud ones, and then after I was told that they can cause ear infections too that soon put me off them , the behind the head ones were good and had excellent target response, very sharp but were better used in conjunction with a booster as they lacked volume.

I found in the end I was better sticking to the TD80s.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down