Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headphones for detecting

3 posters

Go down

Headphones for detecting Empty Headphones for detecting

Post  cat793 Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:53 am

My trusty old Koss ur20s broke today while out around Leonora and are now residing at the bottom of a disused open pit.  Not very environmentally friendly but emotions were running high as I faced a 800km drive back to Perth as a result without my usual 10 - 20 oz.Headphones for detecting Drunken_smilie

I have a gpx4500 but the UR30 headphones that ML seem to recommend are no longer made.  Can anyone suggest the best alternative?

cat793
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Headphones for detecting Empty Re: Headphones for detecting

Post  Guest Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:39 pm

http://www.prospectorspatch.com.au/eshop/categories/Headphones-%26-Speakers/Headphones-%26-Boosters/

prospectors patch ph.( 08 )92508998

or reeds

http://www.reedsprospecting.com.au/shop/listings/headphones,-speakers-enhancers/

koss td 85 headphones if ya can't get the 30's

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  cat793 Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks fencejumper.

I am resisting buying the ur30s as they are now out of production by Koss and the prospecting shops are indulging in the usual Great Australian Bite out of our hard earned by charging 3 times the price they should be.  I will have a look at the alternatives you mentioned - that sounds like the go.  I was also wondering about the ur29s.  $30 and specs seem the same as ur30s.

cat793
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cat793 Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:12 pm

http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/full_size_headphones/TD85__TD85_Full_Size_Headphone

We pay $135 @ Reeds or Prospectors Patch - on Koss website they are $50!!!!!!   Gotta love Oz!  Looks like my $$$ will be winging their way overseas as they usually have to.

cat793
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Headphones for detecting Empty hey cat

Post  Goldfields Explorer Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:27 am

You need to carry spares with you if your traveling long distances
Or even a speaker, Anyhow the last time i tested a set of nugget busters headphones they worked ok
But GPX machines have digital audio and the audio tone wasnt nice to listen too scratchy at $160.00
I traded them for gold after i had tested them out ,My 3500 has great audio far better then digital on Gpx's
Even the nugget busters werent good for it , I have a pair of Td' 80's by koss i use some times and are very good
Which are rated at 60 Ohms which is a good rating for a headphone for detectors,You should find many sets of headphones
Did you try the koss website some time ago they made also a set of TD 85's that would work great on Gpx machines
Cheers GoldfieldsExplorer
Goldfields Explorer
Goldfields Explorer
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Headphones for detecting Empty Only Trouble

Post  Goldfields Explorer Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:46 am

I didnt see some one already gave you the Koss TD 85's link
60 ohms is good rating i think for detectors
So i will just mention they are good except when you bend down to dig they try
to fall off your head Cheers From The GoldfieldsExplorer
Goldfields Explorer
Goldfields Explorer
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  cat793 Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 am

You're right. Taking a spare set of headphones would be the sensible thing to do. Pleased to hear that you back up fencejumpers recommendation of the Koss td85s. Got them on Amazon for $32 + $12 p&p. I was reading about the impedance, trying to understand it's significance relating to detector use. Glad to see that 69 Ohms is OK.

cat793
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Headphones for detecting Empty Headphones for detecting

Post  sandy2010 Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi cat,
There was a whole heap of headphone info (impedence etc.) on this forum about a month back.....................do a search on the top right corner of this page.

Cheers & beers.

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down