Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minelab 10"x5"DD

4 posters

Go down

Minelab 10"x5"DD Empty Minelab 10"x5"DD

Post  deutran Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:40 am

Just wondering if anyone has had luck with this coil.If I use this in mono what would be the equivalent mono coil size.Any comments would be appreciated.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Minelab 10"x5"DD Empty Re: Minelab 10"x5"DD

Post  goldenbrown Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:36 pm

HI kingfish,
I think the equivellent to that size coil in a mono would be a 6" round mono which would have similar depth capacity. You should be able to detect small gold with that size coil. All depends on your set up for sensitivity,
Cheers goldenbrown...
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:30 am

Hi Kingfish,

I take it that your referring to the Commander 10x5inch Eliptical coil? If you are, I can tell you that I use one on my 7.3 Volt 2200D and the coil runs superbly. In hot flogged ground, I still end up finding .1 and .2 gram nuggets, where others have failed to pick up, along with many a bird shot lead pellets. I believe this coil should suit all minelab SD, GP, and GPX series detectors.

Happy Hunting
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:55 am

Hi all,
I am thinking of buying this coil, but would like to know if it has greater sensitivity to an 11" dd gp series coil. I own a gp3500 & prefer to use double d coils, as i have missed a few gold nuggets using a mono coil on noisy ground.
Happy hunting.

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 am

Blacksand,because of its size and elliptical design,you will find that the current 10x5 coiltek pro or Commander dd coil,will be more sensitive to sub gram gold,meaning gold bellow the 1gm in size,than any of the past or present 11 inch round dd coils on the market. Now if your talking greater depth over hot ground on gold above the gram mark,stay with your 11 inch dd Gp series.

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Kon, thanks for your help. I have found a patch of shallow ground where i have dug up 14 sub gram nuggets and i am certain there a few more to be found that the 11" dd coil has missed.

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Blacksand, if it's a patch that's restricted only to a small area, I'd be tempted to put on a 11"mono or 10x5"mono to case the spot out. I know other people have had luck with the Joey DD but my experience was the opposite where I couldn't pickup a 0.3 birdshot unless it was rubbed against the coil, yet my mate with the 11"mono picked it up quite clearly. I could never handle the noise from using a mono ion my SD, but if it's sensitivity on small nuggets, in a small spot that you're after, then low and very slow with a mono in that particular spot, I believe will produce you better (more) results.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi Costasdee, thanks for replying with your experience with dd joey. My 11" mono coil works well on certain areas of that ground, until you search over a different soil type and the machine becomes noisy, no matter how well i try to g/balance or change settings. The 11 dd coil ran so quiet in sensitive mode over those hot areas that it inceased my gold tally by 5 bits. If i had a gpx series detector it would best to use a smaller mono coil with smooth class timings, but as i have a gp3500 I'm considering in purchasing a small eliptical double d coil with the detector set in sensitive mode to get that extra performance on sub gram bits. I've decided to get one and will post on how it performs.

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:27 pm

No prob blacksand, I was just giving my experience with the JoeyDD. I totally agree that on my SD I could never use a mono as the noise drove me crazy, but on a small defined area where you want to clean up, the I'd tolerate with the noise just so as to be thorough. I think an 11"mono would still be more sensitive and have far more depth than a JoeyDD but I will be very interested to hear your results.
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:42 pm

I used the 10x5 Coiltek DD back in the day when I owned my Extreme and it was the bees knees on the small stuff though know it lives in the backpack as a pin pointer when digging those 2.5 ft holes for old corroded junk.

Cheers,
SHREEVE

Back to top Go down